Don't hit above the line or...

Nashville armory is serious about charging 8 bucks a pop for hitting above the line on their cardboard backing. I had 3 out of a hundred go less than 8 in above the line at 25 yards using a silhouette. Part of my fault is not asking em to move their backlighting to reduce rear sight glare. I looked for a switch for nada . Bunch O crap 24 bucks for hitting a piece o cardboard, I could see paying for damage to mechanic gear but cardboard??
Makes gun city look like the Taj Mahal...last thing I needed to hear was dont shoot 25 yards from the counter boy...fng a holes....next time ill tell em to file a claim against my homeowners ins if I ever go back...to us my other free pass

I talked to them about that, because it struck me a little strange. Apparently, they have a problem with people firing too high and trashing the target system. According to them it can cost upwards of several thousand everytime it gets hit. The angles are apparently such that if you are shooting above that line, you are risking damaging the machinery. It seems a little draconian, but I can appreciate their point of view.

Ill bet that line is a moneymaker, big time.........Jerry Miculek I'm not but I had some good tight stuff going on at 25 yards just disappointed they're hard asses about it.If they contribute that moolah to wounded warriors fund or something i wouldn't feel as bad...I get the don't damage our gear policy rightfully so,telling me not to shoot 25 yards was ignorant...I was centering on head shots on a full sil target.I compare cause ive broken a few clothes hangars at gun city but it didn't cost 8 bucks...If they're worried about the system getting trashed, put an ar 500 steel plate up over it geez..

and yeah im bitchng about it cause i think its  chicken poop to say "we charge because people wanna damage our stuff". Most of us don't,we come to practice, we just don't shoot as good as jesus does.If their guy can tell me " dont shoot 25 yards",i guess i can rebutt by saying some officer gave you your speeding citation for 41 in a 40 cause that's the law...and our city wants your money.OR if you think everyone wants to come here to cause damage, open a 15 yard range.little insulting both ways

Yeah i'm at fault as i admitted earlier,it is a niice place, but 3 high out of 100 aint bad,the 24 bucks is stupid.......for a piece of cardboard thats used over n over again complete w patched holes,,many of em

Rant Mode Off

Edited by Dustbuster
Guest TresOsos

Did they tell you up front about this rule?
If so well, their range, their rules.

Personally if I had to shoot at a indoor range I would rather shoot at one with reasonable rules and standards.

Some indoor ranges I couldn't wait to get out of and won't be back. Seriously questioned the intelligence of the shooters and staff and wondered if they gave a rats a ** about safety.

Also I do most of my shooting outdoors. I build my own target frames etc. I use to shoot at a friends place but others shot there also and just tore up everything. Never helped foot the cost for repairs or new stands but were always eager to tear up my stuff. I finally got smart and bought my own property to shoot and recreate on. Now if you get an invite and if you screw up or piss me off, you don't come back. My range, my rules.

Edited by TresOsos

Nashville Armory rules are both reasonable (for a brand new facility that cost THAT much to build) and well known unless one just refuses to know them. I had one stray round go too high once when practicing head shots....I didn't like paying the $8 either but it was my fault; not theirs!

I've been to nice ranges where it looked as if some folks were going in and trying to hit the ceiling and equipment...I don't want and I'm sure the folks at NA doesn't want their beautiful facility to look like that and if this policy helps stops it; so much the better.

Frankly, if the $8 bothers anyone that much they need to find another place to shoot.

Edited by RobertNashville
Yeah they're up front about it. And yeah again they do post it It just sucks. No other range does it. I wonder what they charge first-time shooters for shooting above that line. I feel for someone w no experience that pits 10 above their line.If anyone thinks 24 bucks ain't spit go donate 24 to wounded warriors . Funny how this shop never wants to absorb the cost of doing business...... watch out they might start charging for using too much mustard if you get food from their lunch trailer, or charge a cleanup fee for spilling a drink on the asphalt. Seems right up their alley. I remember one of the owners begging for guys to come in and enjoy the family atmosphere. .. Be interesting to see some dads face first time junior goes 13 rounds too high at 25 yards at the cost of a hundred bucks. IMHO they should spend some money on ar500 covers instead of bitch slapping honest customers. Told a co worker about the 24 dollar deal his words were" sounds like Franklin gun shop running useltons" lol .... Edited by Dustbuster

I’m lost here; what “line” are you talking about?
What can you shoot that costs “several thousand dollars”?

It's the line above your target just below the target hanger. Keeps you from shooting into the ceiling down range. I assume there is some pretty expensive target an ventilation systems up there.

It's the line above your target just below the target hanger. Keeps you from shooting into the ceiling down range.

Oh... thanks.

I assume there is some pretty expensive target an ventilation systems up there.

I have a whole bunch of engineering jokes I could tell right now. But it sounds like the Engineers they were told about now work for automated range companies. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

There electronic target system is pretty expensive to replace out right, id assume still not cheap to just repair.  The 8 dollars is meant to spread cost of repairs amongst multiple people without penalizing people that could not possibly have resulted in any damage. 

I would recommend that if you want to practice head shots at 25 yards and may put one high to tape a head target somewhere closer to center of the full size target or hang it upside down.

From the stories I have heard on this very site about indoor ranges with bullet holes where they clearly don't belong, it sounds like they are trying to encourage bullet placement.  .17 - .45, placement is everything.

Edited by vontar

There electronic target system is pretty expensive to replace out right, id assume still not cheap to just repair. The 8 dollars is meant to spread cost of repairs amongst multiple people without penalizing people that could not possibly have resulted in any damage.

I would recommend that if you want to practice head shots at 25 yards and may put one high to tape a head target somewhere closer to center of the full size target or hang it upside down.

I agree. IMHO this place is greedy looking for money at all angles. I wonder what the charge is when contest shooters go above the line??? Do they heckle you on your way out while reaching for 8 bucks for every stray hole on the way out?

I regret doing business w this place. Spent a couple grand and they just don't care. Screw me once my fault,screw me twice fuck you. They don't appreciate business. Am surprised they don't flatten your tires in their lot and make you buy air from them at 5 bucks a wheel.. If they're that worried about idiots recklessly damaging their range they should open a whack a mole store instead. To go next to the lunch trailer. I get to hear everyone bitch about ammo price gouging well my turn to bitch about rang gouging Edited by Dustbuster
Easy solution. Open your own range. Good target systems are only 10k or so per lane, plus backstop material at another 5k+ a lane. And since you don't mind people shooting high add another few thousand to expand your backstop higher. Generally for a mere 15-25k a lane you can make your own rules.

I really hate listening to people whine about a charge that they new about and disregarded anyway. If you are unable to shoot below the line then either move the target closer or aim lower. Seems pretty easy to me.

I would rather shoot at a clean well cared for range that had strict rules to keep it that way than at some of these poorly ventilated basement dumps that don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 7

I agree. IMHO this place is greedy looking for money at all angles. I wonder what the charge is when contest shooters go above the line??? Do they heckle you on your way out while reaching for 8 bucks for every stray hole on the way out?

I regret doing business w this place. Spent a couple grand and they just don't care. Screw me once my fault,screw me twice #### you. They don't appreciate business. Am surprised they don't flatten your tires in their lot and make you buy air from them at 5 bucks a wheel.. If they're that worried about idiots recklessly damaging their range they should open a whack a mole store instead. To go next to the lunch trailer. I get to hear everyone bitch about ammo price gouging well my turn to bitch about rang gouging

are you reffering to yourself here?

I dont think they'll miss you one bit.  Maybe they wont have to repair their system either.  You are being awful beligerant for someone who signed an agreement before entering the range.  You knew the agreement and failed to hold up your end.  Plus they are a paying sponser of TGO, they deserve a little respect.  If you dont agree with the $8, fine, shoot somewhere else, but your are crying over something that you admitadly did.  its like complaining about a speeding ticket by saying the speed limit was too low.  You kew the rules

• Like 6

From a training perspective there is another way to look at this.  You could always look at it from the feedback perspective.  In quality training there is both positive and negative feedback.  Positive reinforcing what you do well and negative feedback designed to stop you from doing what you do wrong.  Adding an additional penalty for missing high (although im sure not intended this way) functions as excellent negative feedback system. 

It forces you to be accountable for the rounds that don't hit the target.  Surely with a law enforcement background you can see the potential benefit in training shooters to be accountable for the rounds they fire out of their weapon. 

• Like 2
I can't help but wonder, did you speak with a manager at all about your issue or just pay and leave in a huff? Even though it was no one else but you who pulled the trigger, is be willing I bet even money a manager would have stepped up and "make things right" so as to have you not leave upset.

I'm sorry but aside from being a sponsor here, I have spending a lot of money at NA and regret not a dime. I have found that in my experience the crew who is responsible for the day to day operations is a stellar staff, second to none. D&T and Guns &Leather set the bar very high for me in relations to how a gun shop should be. I won't say NA is any better than those two, but it certainly holds its own as far as fair pricing and stellar customer service are concerned. In fact while they were hard to get during the panic, NA was one of the very few local shops NOT marking up their products by 100%+. Remember when the SR1911 was a hit commodity? They were selli g used all day at $800.+ NA sold them new for $750.00 all in all consistent with a shop that values their customer more than money.

To say they are shysters is IMO just wrong. They have had many opertunities to screw me over and never have. In fact they have always gone out of their way to be accommodating to me and mine. I'll even go so fAr as to say they are the furthest thing from disreputable, exemplary is the word that comes to mind.

The bottom line; You signed up before you shot, they, by your own admission make their policy well known BEFORE you get on the range. You screwed up, you had pay. To come on here and moan about is no more than sour grapes.

I hope this thread is locked and deleted before someone who doesn't know better passes up a great shop based on the fact that you have ill wishes for the company due to your own shortcoming.

Guess I'll have to pickup the slack and buy a membership since you won't be gracing them with your presence again.