Coyotes...a Few Questions

This doesn't quite fit in the coyote hunting thread, so here we go:

I live in Davidson county, right on the Williamson county line, but technically within city limits. The neighborhood is surrounded by forest, with the treeline extending up on my property. We've had problems with coyotes in the past few years, but it's always been confined to the woods and domestic animals who wander too far out. Lately, there have been increasing numbers of coyote attacks; they're coming out of the woods into yards and the street killing dogs, cats and such, and scaring plenty of people. A couple nights ago I woke up to coyote howls and squealing sounds of a dying dog. Last night, about two in the morning, I went out for a smoke and found at least two coyotes in my yard, not fifty feet away from the house. I drew my gun and considered killing them right there, or at least scaring or wounding one of them. Then I considered how it would look to have a carcass on my lawn in the morning or something.

So now I'm wanting to sort some things out. I believe it's technically illegal to discharge a firearm within Nashville city limits, does anyone know for sure? Even if it's illegal I have shot .22s to get rid of woodpeckers tearing up the house and such. I doubt the report of even a large gun would be an issue with neighbors (in fact I know it [theoretically] - homemade fireworks have never been a problem), but I would be concerned about a stray bullet going anywhere but into the woods. I also don't know that a small round would do anything but piss a coyote off. What about other handgun rounds? Maybe a .45 JHP would work and help avoid overpenetration and stray bullets better than a 30-06 or something. Any thoughts?

I'm not certain I even want to kill them if there's another option, but animal control is refusing to do anything about these, or the coyotes roaming Green Hills residential areas. Maybe paintball or pellet guns? I also wonder about getting a permit to hunt them, what exactly could or should be done with a carcass, and other things I'm probably forgetting. So if anyone has any input here, I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crunchman

Well, I hope the PETA crowd doesn't hunt me down, but....if you can be sure that no domestic animal will get into it, a bowl of antifreeze will take care of coyotes and they'll wander off and expire somewhere besides your lawn. Barring traps and/or poison, your just about SOL for getting rid of vermin inside any city limits.

Guest m4coyote

A few things come to mind - crossbow, good compound bow, or a .22 suppressor.

Another handy varmint ridding accessory is a 120 volt "electric" feeder. PM me for a simple, but very effective "theoretical" :) plan for it.

Well damn, I didnt realize they were that serious about it...jail? I was thinking it might be a fine, which I'm sure the neighbors would throw in for. Well that really throws a brick through my idea.:mad::)

And animal control won't do anything - I thought this was THEIR responsibility (Here I am blaming someone else for something I could fix...except they tell me I can't fix it.:P) Yeah, I'll pass the buck on shooting 'em, but I'll try to come up with something creative. And I'll be on the phone berating them and whining about cats being mangled and crying out for help ;)

Hmm, anyone else have any creative (maybe even hypothetical) ideas to get rid of them?

Guest Grizzly Johnson
Well, I hope the PETA crowd doesn't hunt me down, but...

Hey I resemble that remark, I am a LIFETIME member of (PETA) People Eating Tasty Animals.......:rolleyes:

Here's my take. I live within city limits of a town in Williamson County. It, too, is also illegal to discharge firearms within the city limits.

When and if you have have the chance to "do the deed" on said coyote.

1. Have your rifle ready.

2. Make the shot

3. Hit or miss, get back inside quickly, put the rifle away, and go back to your routine.

4. If questioned by anyone deny, play dumb, you know what I mean.

5. Wait and clean the gun on the weekend.

The odds are a LEO is not going to hear a shot and come running.

It's usually a nosey neighbor that reports a shot fired and wants someone to investigate.

I would recommend a late night (11pm-12am) or early morning (2am-4am) assassination of would be pest/predator.

By any means, stay in the shadows, so no one can see you.

It's also best not to discuss the knowledge of coyotes in the neighborhood.

If they're ever questioned, you'll be the first to come to mind.

The name of the game here is CLANDESTINE.

NOTE: The Average Joe does not condone illegal maneuvers such as the one explained above, but sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do....

and it's best done right ...and without getting caught.:rolleyes:

It depends on where in davidson county you are. What you are talking about is hunting coyotes. It is not illegal to hunt in davidson county. There are some really big deer that are taken every year in davidson county. You will need the proper hunting license and to follow TWRA rules. The most important is yo must be at least 100 yards away from a dwelling unless you have permission. You can find info here: http://www.state.tn.us/twra/

I don't believe there is a season for coyotes, meaning you can hunt all year. Do a little research on hunting regs for davidson county on twra's website and you should find your answer.

Guest TN.Frank

I 3rd the idea of a crossbow. It's quiet, has limited range so if you miss you'll not pose such a danger to others around you and with a good broad head it'll kill quickly too. You an also mount a red dot sight or even night vision sight if you've got the funds and get em' at night. I'd kind of like to get a good crossbow for shooting around the farm even though I can shoot my pistol or rifle since I'm outside of city limits, it'd still be nicer because it'd not bother the neighbors as much.

I would love to kill them with my bow. The season is year round, I am an avid coyote hunter, I usually kill around 20 to 40 maybe less maybe more a year. Need any help just drop me a pm.

Edited by Hunting101

Bow is probably legal.. I think the 100 yard residence rule is specific to firearms. Best bet is to check TWRA'a website. Coyote is considered vermin, no season and no bag limit.

Now for the bad news... 'yotes appear because..

1. there is food

2. there is back pressure from yotes/wild dogs for other, better territory.

More bad news: real coyotes don't form packs 'cept for late fall / winter supposedly. Half-breeds form up all the time, and tend to be bigger and nastier than straight 'yotes.

In short, this will probably be a persistent problem. Even if you clear out the current enclave, more will breed up and be pushed in from surrounding areas in a season or two.

Suggestions: If you have enough land, buy a mule. They hate each other, and mules are very good at killing coyotes. Large-breed defense dogs can also some times work. Make sure the trash cans are secured, no pet food outside, and try and get everyone to keep the kitties inside for a while.

I've watched them sweep through semi-rural suburbs (2-4 acre lots) and usually they are eating some thing besides pets as primary food. Squirrels, rabbits, foxes.

Once they clean out the fauna they'll move on. I'm not saying don't kill the bold ones, but more that the odds of one guy with a bow permanently knocking down a population is pretty slim. You gotta fix why they are there.

So now I'm wanting to sort some things out. I believe it's technically illegal to discharge a firearm within Nashville city limits, does anyone know for sure? Even if it's illegal I have shot .22s to get rid of woodpeckers tearing up the house and such. I doubt the report of even a large gun would be an issue with neighbors (in fact I know it [theoretically] - homemade fireworks have never been a problem), but I would be concerned about a stray bullet going anywhere but into the woods. I also don't know that a small round would do anything but piss a coyote off. What about other handgun rounds? Maybe a .45 JHP would work and help avoid overpenetration and stray bullets better than a 30-06 or something. Any thoughts?

Walmart now sells crossbows for cheap...at a $30 red dot as someone else has mentioned before and you have the perfect urban varmint eradicator. Sit out one night near the garage or open a bedroom window and pick off one of them. Wait a week or so and do it again. Be secretive and your neighbors won't know at all. Make sure you have your Hunting papers ($30 also from wal-mart) per year just in case it does get unwanted attention.

It sounds bad, but all you have to do is hit them with the broadhead...wouldn't be too concerned about a clean kill or losing a bolt from the bow as long as they are die eventually.