Need some help with some long range shooting/hunting

my82cam

Well, guys, the time has finally come for my first elk hunt!  The trip came up out of the blue and I am not 100% prepared. lol  I leave Oct 3rd and will be gone for 10 days hunting at 8,000-9,000 ft.  What I need help with is learning hot to use my ballastic app and learning the drop and shooting.  I am going shooting with a friend tomorrow but that is only 100-200 yards, I need a place to shoot 500 600 700 yards, anything I can get! lol  If someone is in the middle TN area and could help me out, please let me know, thanks, BJ

Are there any clear spots reaching 700 yards left in Tennessee. Houses are going up everywhere. I live in what is supposed to be farm country (Macon County) and I don't think there is a 700 yard clear spot (No houses) anywhere in the county anymore. Before somebody jumps up and tells me about some spot in a "holler" remember I said "clear." that means no houses within the range of your round. Elk guns normally are good for danger out to  3-5 miles! I'm sure there is some out there but they will be private property for sure and lots of folks are skittish about the danger range of  Magnum rifles. Good luck anyways. My grandfather and I use to hunt elk in Saskatchewan and I have hunted in Elk in Montana. Both of those places were areas where you could ride a horse for days and never see another human being or man-made structure! The cabin we stayed  and sighted our rifles in was a good 50 miles from the next cabin!

Edited by wjh2657

What app are you running?

I would suggest getting Ballistic FTE (Now AE) and use it. It takes into account for the rotation of the earth, the altitude, humidity, temperature as well as several otehr very important factors. Basically you zero your gun here. Chronograph your load. Input the zero data, what bullet and how fast it is going. You also input your zero weather (it does this automatically). Then when you get where you are going you open the app and hit a location button. It automatically populates all the weather data and automatically changes the trajectory for where you are now. It is an amazing piece of software that works great. I have had and used it for about 5 years now. You might have to manually input the direction you are shooting for it to take into account the Earth's rotation but other than that the trajectory is done. It will also take into account if you are shooting up or down hill.

It has a hud that allows you to make distance and wind changes on the fly. It even allows you to setup multiple wind directions between you and the target if there are differing wind conditions.

I think it is $20 to download to a Apple product. And even if you don't have one I suggest finding a used Iphone and getting it.

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

Should be able to find a way to run any phone app on a PC/laptop, unless something has changed drastically.  I don't stay on top of it (I just barely have a cell that can just barely make phone calls and nothing else) but take a look before you buy hardware for one program. 

Do you really need that much tech to shoot at 500-700 ? 

Someone should make a smart scope.  Ive got a sensor in my hand now that can give gps, wind data, compass, and more.  The sensors are tiny if you do not want nth degree accuracy @ 1000 hz or something.   High res at high update is where the stuff gets bigger and pricier.   Programming in the basic ballistics on a burn & run type chip would not take up a dime's worth of space.   Digital x hairs that move to fit the equation should be cake.

Edited by Jonnin

I'm using "Shooter" app on my phone.  Like it pretty well so far, I can store all my rifles and all my loads in there and change data pretty easily.  I need range time right now and someone who has experience with the apps, I would hate to miss a shot just because I was unsure which data went where or, because I misunderstood something.  

I use Ballistic on my iPhone as well. I just print out a card with the ballistics on it and use that for adjustments. I can increment the distance to whatever I want (I use 25m increments). Then I pretty much just use the mil-dot app for ranging.

With the Ballistic app printout and a Mil-Dot Master combined with a Mil-Dot scope, you have everything you need to make a decent shot if your tech fails you in the field. Learn to guage the wind for your holdover and you're good to go.

What is your technique for estimating range?

Here's a range that isn't too far for what you are looking for.
http://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/ Edited by Romad7

my technique for estimating range is my leupold range finder lol  I have a question, my app shows it to have 13.7 MOA drop at 700 yards, there is another section where it shows me the required clicks, but on the chart I can print off, it doesn't show me clicks.  my zeiss is 1/4inch clicks.  how do I determine how many clicks are needed?  

If it was me, I'd learn to get closer. Much easier than learning to shoot long range if you can't practice shooting long range! ;)

More Elk are taken at under 100yds than any other range. Hell, most of my friends out West hunt with traditional bows & round-ball blackpowder & they keep me in Elk steaks!
  • Like 1

unless you are running hi end optic with a offset mount I honestly do not think your scope will have the adjustment range to reach out that far.

as far as a smart scope the Horus reticles can get you out past a1000 with no scope adjustments. but they can be over whelming when you first use one and if you wish there is app for them to. 

My 30-06 has a zeiss 4.5-14 with target turrets(back up rifle) and my 300wm has a 5-20LR huskemaw on it.  I doubt I will ever try to go past 800 yardsn anytime soon;  I am looking for a place to practice some longer shots and check my ballistics and see how well it works.  Practicing in the field is a no no.  

Guest gburlyman

First time posting so go easy on me, I have found many helpful things during my time @ TiborasaurusRex youtube channel, just so happens he did part 64 video concerning JBM Ballistics intro; I receive updates via gmail when his new videos come out. Pretty informative site give it a look. Best Regards, Gary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMRClBIPgGg&feature=em-subs_digest

If it was me, I'd learn to get closer. Much easier than learning to shoot long range if you can't practice shooting long range! ;)

More Elk are taken at under 100yds than any other range. Hell, most of my friends out West hunt with traditional bows & round-ball blackpowder & they keep me in Elk steaks!

Not bashing by any means but I fully agree with robtattoo.   A 700 yard ethical shot requires a high degree of certainty which is not the norm for any joe-bag-of-donuts shooter like myself.   A 300 yard shot is a quick clean kill with meat in the cooler and a BIG proud smile.  I have found over the years that losing a deer from a poorly placed shot is very upsetting.  I don't like that feeling and as you can tell, I don't want any of you to feel that either.  Just saying, be cautious with the long shots.  They are not for everyone.

• Like 2