.38 super vs .45

Guest BMcCoy

Guest BMcCoy

Ok guys, I need a little help here. I am in the market for a 1911. I am having issues deciding between the 45 or 38. First question is what is the difference between .38 special, and .38 super, or if there even is a dfference. I hope thats not a stupid question, but I have always been a 9mm type of guy. I pretty much know what a .45 can do. Second question is about stopping power and over penetration. Is the .38 going to penetrate deeper or over penetrate due to higher velocity? If anybody can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Ben

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jps37033

Man, I wish I could. But what someone told me was look at it this way. The lower the caliber, the higher the penetration, the higher the caliber, the less. Its like a .22 is a speedy peice of straw in a twister. It can go thru some some stuff. But a .45 is like a 4x4 foot concrete pad flying around in the same twister. Its gonna knock some crap down with force.

About the .38 super/special. I am curious myself.

Guest grimel

Loaded to standard levels it's a +P+ 9mm without the strain. Loaded hot it's a 357mag in an auto.

Penetration is a result of sectional density, expansion, and velocity. IOW, which penetrates more depends on the bullet/speed issue.

Remember, the 1911 was designed around the 45acp. It will work with a 38 super (or 38spl for that matter) just make sure the guy building it knows what he's doing.

The reason to pick the 38 super over 9mm is the longer OAL makes for a more reliable gun UNLESS one buys the right 9mm mags (Springfield was the best last time I fiddled with 9mm single stacks).

If you want a range gun, 9mm is still cheaper than 45.

I have both. My super is an old series 70 colt commnader. The accuracy is not up to the same standards as the .45 (in my pistol anyway). The muzzle blast is more with the super. If the proper bullet is used I think the super is an adiquate caliber.

I think I would however buy a 45 as a first 1911 and add a super as a second or third. You are welcome to come and shoot my super to compare if you want. Just drop me a PM.

Guest BMcCoy

Ok. Thanks a bunch guys. This helps a lot. I think I will definately go wth the .45. Rashgunner, I may still take you up on that. Thanks again.

Every time I see threads like this I get all day-dreamy for a 38 Super doublestack 1911 for carry. I know, probably crazy, but 357 mag is my favorite caliber, and the idea of 12-15 of them at a time in a handgun just gets me all excited!!

I've only ever shot one 38 super before, and I liked it. I think it was a Colt, but I don't really remember. I had just started shooting back then and didn't really know all the Mfgrs well at that time.

I believe 38 Super is actually .356 caliber, right? I've heard of people using both .355 (9mm) and .357 (38sp/357mag) bullets for loading purposes in 38 Super. I wouldn't be afraid of .355 bullets (maybe not the best for accuracy) but I'm a little nervous about .357 bullets due to what I perceive as possible pressure problems shoving a fatter jacketed round down the pipe. Is that .001 negligible? With all the great .357 hunting/defense bullets out there, it seems that someone could make a dandy defense round in 38 Super. Of course, the argument there is the .357 sig, but what if I don't like bottlenecked cases? Also, I'm just guess that more rounds of 38 Super eould fit in the same size mag as 357 sig which is based off the .40 case, no?

Ugh... there's always more guns than money!

Alot of .38super double-stack guns are 18+1, which is phenomenal... and I would bet that since most newer pistols are chambered to accept 9x23mm as well, the barrels are most likely closer to .355 than .356 already. That's just a guess. The older .38super-specific guns are .356" for sure.

Hm... do you know if there are aftermarket barrels available in .357 bore? If I ever get one, I'll be shooting my own loaded ammo pretty much exclusively anways. I don't think the extra thousandth will really hurt the cases or chamber much. I also don't work the brass a lot when loading, just expanding barely enough to seat the bullet is about all.