What kind of spider is this?

Guest TankerHC

Couple of years ago I went to my daughters house in MS. On the wall outside were the largest spiders I had ever seen. ABout 10 of them. They were green and I swear they looked like the size of a dollar bill, the back part of the body was HUGE. They were in the middle of the webs and moving the webs back and forth, they were shaking the webs. Daughter said not to kill them, they were interesting to watch. I had been in MS 13 or 14 years by then and had never seen one. Asked on the MSGO Forum and they all knew what I was talking about. They were Orb Weavers. Harmless, but dont look it. Oh, and not a dollar bill long, bodies were more like an inch or two long, but huge rear ends and long legs that did extend out to dollar size, Things looked gigantic.

Couple of years ago I went to my daughters house in MS. On the wall outside were the largest spiders I had ever seen. ABout 10 of them. They were green and I swear they looked like the size of a dollar bill, the back part of the body was HUGE. They were in the middle of the webs and moving the webs back and forth, they were shaking the webs. Daughter said not to kill them, they were interesting to watch. I had been in MS 13 or 14 years by then and had never seen one. Asked on the MSGO Forum and they all knew what I was talking about. They were Orb Weavers. Harmless, but dont look it. Oh, and not a dollar bill long, bodies were more like an inch or two long, but huge rear ends and long legs that did extend out to dollar size, Things looked gigantic.

Probably these writing spiders, we have them here too. They're yellow, or sort of greenish too sometimes:

Picture-32-300x268.png

57eba5.jpg

You touch the web and they start bouncing the whole thing back and forth like a trampoline. Amazing creatures.

- OS

They bounce the webs as a defense mechanism. Supposed to scare birds and other things that eat them ..

Very cool, never knew the reason, thanks. Reading up, looks like that, and also maybe to better enmesh prey that gets initially stuck.

I know as a kid, when they stared moving the web, this possible predator would back off, figgered they were getting ready to pounce! :)

- OS

Guest TankerHC

Probably these writing spiders, we have them here too. They're yellow, or sort of greenish too sometimes:

Picture-32-300x268.png

57eba5.jpg

You touch the web and they start bouncing the whole thing back and forth like a trampoline. Amazing creatures.

- OS

Thats them.