Test/Review. S&W 1911 vs. Sig Tacpac1911

vujade

Hello TN gunowners,

I am a proud owner of a new Sig 1911.  I also have a S&W 1911 (not the e-series).  How about a little review/evaluation/comparison:

SW1911 vs SIg Nitron 1911
SW1911 has a new factory barrel from S&W.  It's at 600 rounds atm.  Replaced the trigger (so that it doesn't have the SW trigger wobble) and upgraded the bushing to a EWG match bushing.  I really like Sig's grips to I acquired another set of those grips and put them on the S&W as well.

mighlj.jpg

Sig Nitron.  It's LNIB.  2/2013 production. 
2i74p5i.jpg

Lower right group of 5 shots @ 13 yards. The very first for the day!   Boy was I surprised and it helped with quickly gaining confidence with the gun.  The first shoot took out the orange bullseye sticker and the rest proceeded to just make the single hole incremental bigger.

Upper left target was at 25 yards.  A little over an inch if you discount one round I knew I pulled down.  Upper right is also at 25 yards.  5 shots, a little over an inch.

All loads were Missouri Bullet Company  200 LSWC with 4.0 grains of bullseye.  I wanted to test the gun so I was sitting and resting my elbows on the bench.  I also shot several fast strings but I won't post those. =)

2vv0unm.jpg

My S&W will do 2-3 inches at 25 yards.  Once in a while, it'll surprise me with a sub 1.5 inch group but they aren't consistent enough to happen.  This 2.4 inch group is about it's average.   At 13 yards, they were neck in neck.  S&W on the left and Sig on the right.

30u3g40.jpg

Some observations/thoughts:

Sig's trigger is 5.3 pounds.  It's not as smooth; it's got a bit of grit/travel.  It's not broken in yet so that may improve.  S&W's trigger is right at 4 pounds.  The nicest/smoothest break like glass trigger and I love it. 

S&W's action is much smoother.  It's like the rails have butter on them.  Nothing snags.  Everything is very smooth.  There is SOME slide/frame wiggle but not excessive.  The Sig is tighter all around.  I like S&W's finish.  That SS satin is smooth and clean.  Sig's nitron finish is 'ok'.  I'm not a big fan.  I know it will wear faster.  It's not smooth; it's very business-like.  I don't like the fact that the Sig won't fit in traditional holsters but I like how it matches the P series guns (which I love).   The sig has some pretty aggressive checkering and there are sharp edges on the gun.  Towards the end, parts of my hands were red from the Sig.  The S&W is a pleasure to hold and shoot.

The rain was coming down pretty hard at one point.  Both guns performed without a hiccup. 

Today was a good day!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you graycrait.

Yeah, I wish I had a ransom rest to more effectively test a gun and loads.   I wish I had a chronygraph (I shot my last one) that still worked to at least test for consistent velocity.  

I had my elbows rested and then the bottom part of my right hand holding the gun.  It's still hard to make sure sight picture is consistent with just the 3 dots.  The trigger on both guns were excellent so that helps a lot.