My Dedicated 22lr Upper..

Earl33

I see you don't have irons on it, so you can't compare using that. Those are just Magpul polymer ones you see on mine, and I can hit a tin can at 50 yards most every time with irons on bipod, and with $20 Barska scope most every time at 100, just to give ya an idea, and don't reckon the CMMG "Wasp" 18" 1:16 barrel is any kind of match grade or anything.

Wish you wuz around here so we could do some testing.

- OS

Scope mount, scope mount, scope mount.. Did I mention scope mount? Took the P.E.R.P. off my 5.56 and BINGO. Due to limited time I didn't take pictures or compare grouping between ammo brands but with Winchester M22's I was able to take all the fresh paint off our 3 diameter spinning steel target at 50 yards and the softball didn't stand a chance . I will get back  to the range soon and post pictures of 5 rd groups..

Scope mount, scope mount, scope mount.. Did I mention scope mount? Took the P.E.R.P. off my 5.56 and BINGO. Due to limited time I didn't take pictures or compare grouping between ammo brands but with Winchester M22's I was able to take all the fresh paint off our 3 diameter spinning steel target at 50 yards and the softball didn't stand a chance . I will get back to the range soon and post pictures of 5 rd groups..

Man that is a huge relief to hear. I was really afraid you had something serious wrong with the upper. Hope this is your solution
  • Like 1

Scope mount, scope mount, scope mount.. Did I mention scope mount? Took the P.E.R.P. off my 5.56 and BINGO. Due to limited time I didn't take pictures or compare grouping between ammo brands but with Winchester M22's I was able to take all the fresh paint off our 3 diameter spinning steel target at 50 yards and the softball didn't stand a chance . I will get back  to the range soon and post pictures of 5 rd groups..

Happy for ya to hear that.

I certainly knew scope mounts were important for uber precision and for repeatability over time, but man, to get that degree of inaccuracy you'd think they must have been actually wobbling around on there.

I use the P.E.P.R. mounts myself on both a 5.56 and the .22LR upper, but use the quick release mount model, so can get to the irons in a hurry once the zombies come and my cheap scope fails. :)

- OS

Man that is a huge relief to hear. I was really afraid you had something serious wrong with the upper. Hope this is your solution

Man it was a relief to me also. I was at the bottom of the shit to try list.

Happy for ya to hear that.

I certainly knew scope mounts were important for uber precision and for repeatability over time, but man, to get that degree of inaccuracy you'd think they must have been actually wobbling around on there.

I use the P.E.P.R. mounts myself on both a 5.56 and the .22LR upper, but use the quick release mount model, so can get to the irons in a hurry once the zombies come and my cheap scope fails. :)

- OS

I thought that myself. I checked a dozen times if once to insure things were tight. I changed the scope, took the mounts off twice, checked for loose screws, tried twisting the scope in the rings, every thing seemed tight. If the P.E.R.P. didnt help it was going to be phone call time. 

Does the quick release lock good and tight? I was leaning towards purchasing one to go back on my 5.56.  

....Does the quick release lock good and tight? I was leaning towards purchasing one to go back on my 5.56.  

Yep, no complaints. You might have to adjust the tension once in a while if you take it on and off a lot, but can do that with just fingers. Probably no quick detach model would be quite up to snuff for absolute best precision over time, but I don't chase that, so fine for moi.

Seems to hold zero okay on both my 5.56 and .22lr uppers assuming you put it back in same slots. Provides nice clearance for fold down rear backup sights too. $100 mount for a $20 scope here (I did eventually replace scope with a Nikon, though):

PEPR.jpg

Another reason I couldn't believe mounts could cause that much random deviation, is that on another AR, I've run a cheapo $20 set of UTG QD mounts on my Sport,  and they've been okay also:

scopemount.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 months later...

Seems like after Ava was born the days have gotten shorter. I haven't gotten around to comparing different ammunition once I figured out the consistency issue with my upper. But I'v been shooting the Thunderbolts with very good results. Mostly shooting 35-50 yards at spinning targets and out of date canned food. I did purchase a Spikes lower to build for my upper. I have a ACS-L stock ordered for it and still have to order a good rimfire scope. Posted Image

• 1 month later...