Gun Shops: Don't ya just hate em!?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Linoge

My biggest complaint, by far, is know your product. Just like when I was car shopping, whenever I go firearm shopping, I always do my homework before I show up at the respective place of business... and, just like when I was car shopping, at most gun shops it rapidly turns into a situation where I know more about the product they are trying to sell me than they do. Now, at the small, one-man shops out there, they are kind of forgiven - one man would be very hard-pressed to know everything he would need to about all the varieties and variants of firearms out there. But feel free to say you do not know, and you will get back to me. As for the big shops, you have enough people on your staff that you could definitely specialize, and if I happen to ask you a question about something you may not be 100% on, call over your associate.

Other than that, I pretty much categorize most gun shops under the same heading as Best Buy - how do they stay in business with such massive markups on products that I can get so much cheaper online? Yeah, I have to go through FFLs for guns, and yeah, one person paying their mongo-mark-up will probably pay for a lot who do not... but still. I understand you have to pay your people somehow, but it is better to make some money off me than none at all.

Guest canynracer

I hate "Scare tactics" ...for example, I was looking at a gun in MY price range, I asked about THAT gun, I got "so 100 bucks more isnt worth your life?"

I left.

Customer service, and helping the customer find the best gun in THEIR price range. I mean please, not everyone can afford 600.00 bucks in one shot.

and dont be condesending, let a newb know that they can rack the slide, get a feel for the gun with the slide forward...let them know they can be comfortable. most newbs are nervous about the "rules" when shopping.

Customer service, customer service, customer service.

Edited by canynracer
Guest janwbrown616
Condescending/arrogant people are probably my #1 complaint at shops. The condescension seems to take many forms- maybe it's the fact that I'm looking at a Taurus PT1911 instead of a Kimber. Maybe it's the fact that I don't know off the top of my head that a Glock 23 is a .40 gun. It might even be that I disagree with their opinion that .45ACP is the supreme man-killer, and anything smaller is just going to make the bad guy angry.

Then, as has been previously mentioned, there are the know-it-all folks. These guys always need to sound like an authority on whatever subject they're talking about, even if they're extrapolating from some 30-second TV bit they saw on the subject. Being confident in your knowledge is a good thing, but it's OK to say that you don't know or aren't sure about the answer to a question. In fact, that second one will almost immediately boost my confidence in someone, because I believe that they're trying to bestow knowledge upon me, rather than just trying to get their hands on my cash. And for the love of God, don't just outright lie to customers. You'd think this would be a given, but it's not.

These things kind of roll into my final point, where I think back to when I was just getting into shooting. I think that a lot of new shooters are very intimidated when they first set foot in a shop- they don't know anything, maybe they aren't sure what they're looking for, and if they then run into some brash Counter Commando who tries to tell them exactly what they need while overriding any concerns, things go south from there. Maybe they leave the shop empty-handed. Maybe they leave the shop with a gun they and up disliking. Maybe they swear off gun stores altogether, and start regarding them like used-car shopping, a chore that's necessary, but something to be approached with an adversarial spirit from the start.

In the end, there's a fine line between giving the customer advice, and telling them what to do. Some of them will listen to every word you say and take it as gospel, in which case I say you have a responsibility to make damn sure you're giving them good information. Others come in knowing nothing, and completely unaware of their lack of knowledge- they're the real challenge. Hopefully you can guide them in the right direction and repair their misconceptions, but there's a point at which you just need to give them what they want, even if you think they won't like it.

All this is the reason I don't work retail any more. People annoy the crap out of me. ;)

Yeah +1

• Administrator

I like the idea that a gun shop will assume that their guns will sell themselves to the right people. Along those same lines, I would encourage gun shop owners and employees to have patience with customers who come in and look at the same guns over and over, or look at a lot of different guns but don't appear to be ready or willing to buy.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't spend money easily but spends big when I do. Because of that I window shop and I do it a lot. It takes me some time to decide exactly what I want, and holding, fondling, playing with different guns helps me make that decision.

I stopped going to Specialty Arms in LaVergne after their clerk was pretty impatient with me for wanting to see a few different guns back before I bought my first Glock 27. It pissed me off to no end when I heard the guy mutter to another customer who wanted to interrupt, "Don't worry ... he's not going to buy anything anyway."

I bought my Glock 27 later that same day from On Target and made it a point to go back to Specialty Arms and show it to the jackass. The small profit margin that he lost on my one sale may not have ammounted to much, but if he treated ten other prospective customers that same way the money starts adding up.

You don't always know how many sales you are losing because not everyone is enough of an a-hole (like me) to come back and tell you that you lost their business.

;)

Guest rebelyell1972

I love my gun shop. Its the best place to go when you got the money to spend. The gentlemen and woman at HERO GEAR are experts and are genuinely care about your satisfaction. If anyone has time I recommend you go see them and spend a few bucks there and see what I mean.

I love my gun shop. Its the best place to go when you got the money to spend. The gentlemen and woman at HERO GEAR are experts and are genuinely care about your satisfaction. If anyone has time I recommend you go see them and spend a few bucks there and see what I mean.

That's it, rub it in.

hehe

This harkens back to my note about that fine line between advice and annoyance.

To my way of thinking, if I'm in a shop and someone marches in and tells me exactly what they want, I'd be inclined to engage them in some conversation and feel things out. The shopper might be Rob Leatham in disguise, who knows what he's doing and what he wants. He might also be someone who's never fired a gun before, decided he wanted a handgun, and one friend told him that the Taurus PT145 was the best weapon ever.

I think it's important to recognize folks in the second category, and maybe help educate them on the options out there. Conversely, it's important to also determine when a customer knows exactly what he wants, and isn't going to be swayed by my opinion, regardless of whether the customer is educated or not.

In the end, I suppose it comes down to a judgment call, along with experience in assessing folks. You need to be helpful to the folks that need help, but without annoying the folks who don't need it.

I think the guy just felt I wasn't spending enough money for the comission he was going to get from the sale. But I do agree with what you're saying...

Edited by The Average Joe
spelling
I think the guy just felt I wasn't spending enough money for the comission he was going to get from the sale. But I do agree with what you're saying...

Interesting.

How many shops have employees that receive commission or spiffs from the sale of firearms?

I would think very few do, but maybe im wrong.

*Hero-Gear employees/staff receive zero commission/perks/spiffs from selling guns.

Guest Coal Creek Armory
Interesting.

How many shops have employees that receive commission or spiffs from the sale of firearms?

I would think very few do, but maybe im wrong.

*Hero-Gear employees/staff receive zero commission/perks/spiffs from selling guns.

CCA employees do not get commission or "push money" for any sales.

All of us are either hourly or salary, well everyone but the owner. He isn't on the payroll.

CCA employees do not get commission or "push money" for any sales.

All of us are either hourly or salary, well everyone but the owner. He isn't on the payroll.

+1

Thats the ONLY way to promote a non-biased sales culture.

I hate asking a sales guy a question about "what is the best one for me" knowing he makes money based on his answer.

I will add that I originally said our staff received no commission from the sale of guns. I will expand and clarify that by saying we have ZERO spiff or commission opportunities here at Hero-Gear.

Edited by BimmerFreak

Here's a question for the masses;

We have a hard time displaying our mid to higher end long guns.

I am always afraid that some knucklehead is going to be knocking rifles around in my racks, and scratch, dent, or ding a nice 1000.00 rifle, or jack up a rifle with a nice Leupold or Zeiss scope on it.

So, to help with this, we are going to put all of our nicer rifles/shotguns that we dont want banged around into rotating display cases.

Like this: (only not camouflage)

diplaycase.jpg

We have 4 of these units showing up this week, and they should in place by Monday.

Question:

Are shoppers turned off by not being able to root through the rifles the very moment they walk in the door? Is this a bad move on our part?

My thinking is that it will allow me to place nicer and sometimes more delicate rifles out for display, and also encourage customer/staff interaction as we assist the customer by opening the case, clearing the firearm, and helping them with any questions they may have.

Thoughts?

Thats just a google picture.

I can assure you these cases are not cheap! Its always hard to make an investment in something that doesnt pencil out to represent an increase in sales or profit, but im biting the bullet on this in an attempt to better display and (hopefully) serve our customers.

I never handle a firearm with out asking - whether at someone's home or in a shop. Would make zero difference to me if they were in that case, and frankly, if I buy an expensive firearm, I want ZERO scratches, etc.

Here's a question for the masses;

We have a hard time displaying our mid to higher end long guns.

I am always afraid that some knucklehead is going to be knocking rifles around in my racks, and scratch, dent, or ding a nice 1000.00 rifle, or jack up a rifle with a nice Leupold or Zeiss scope on it.

So, to help with this, we are going to put all of our nicer rifles/shotguns that we dont want banged around into rotating display cases.

Like this: (only not camouflage)

diplaycase.jpg

We have 4 of these units showing up this week, and they should in place by Monday.

Question:

Are shoppers turned off by not being able to root through the rifles the very moment they walk in the door? Is this a bad move on our part?

My thinking is that it will allow me to place nicer and sometimes more delicate rifles out for display, and also encourage customer/staff interaction as we assist the customer by opening the case, clearing the firearm, and helping them with any questions they may have.

Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea. Not only will it keep the higher-end guns safe from careless customers, but I'm guessing it would also do a pretty good job protecting the very same guns from goofy employees who are pushing (and flipping over) huge metal desks through the showroom.;)

we have ZERO spiff or commission opportunities here at Hero-Gear.

How about zero pay Joe? I could work part time for guns. Think about it!

I have to add that my biggest gripe is an employee who knows it all and shoves it down your throat. I can usually spot BS, but if you're new to all this, it's really intimidating. Don't start the new guy out on a super elite tactical whatever, give him a .22. And better yet, if your store has the indoor range, take him and show him. You can win over a lifelong customer with $1 worth of ammo and a few little holes in the X ring.

You're not helping our cause by making someone feel stupid. Embrace the new folks, they are the future of our little hobby and possibly your business.

Buk

I like the idea that a gun shop will assume that their guns will sell themselves to the right people. Along those same lines, I would encourage gun shop owners and employees to have patience with customers who come in and look at the same guns over and over, or look at a lot of different guns but don't appear to be ready or willing to buy.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't spend money easily but spends big when I do. Because of that I window shop and I do it a lot. It takes me some time to decide exactly what I want, and holding, fondling, playing with different guns helps me make that decision.

I stopped going to Specialty Arms in LaVergne after their clerk was pretty impatient with me for wanting to see a few different guns back before I bought my first Glock 27. It pissed me off to no end when I heard the guy mutter to another customer who wanted to interrupt, "Don't worry ... he's not going to buy anything anyway."

I bought my Glock 27 later that same day from On Target and made it a point to go back to Specialty Arms and show it to the jackass. The small profit margin that he lost on my one sale may not have ammounted to much, but if he treated ten other prospective customers that same way the money starts adding up.

You don't always know how many sales you are losing because not everyone is enough of an a-hole (like me) to come back and tell you that you lost their business.

;)

I know EXACTLY how you feel Tung..I'm here in Nashville now!! (yay!) and at one time I was going to go over to east side gunshop and buy a Panther from the Rabbi..that went out the door when he was such an ass to me about it.

that "money talks and BS walks" statement just lost him a 900.00 sale.

what he DID'NT know was that this year alone I've spent quite a bit of money...well over 5k and that's just in firearms..not to mention the accoutrements that go with them..or the ammo!!

so when I say I support my gunshop..I MEAN it! LOL!

the one shop I won't support is the one with the jerk behind the counter. I don't mind waiting..or driving a long distance to a place where I know I'll get a fair shake and courteous, knowledgeable service.

The spinning racks don't bother me a bit.

I like it better when they are organized well.

Say they were all Shotguns, or bolt actions, or

even all of the same make.

That way if I'm not really interested in looking at over

and unders and notice a few in there I can look at other things.

Just me though... others may be different.

I think it's a great idea. Not only will it keep the higher-end guns safe from careless customers, but I'm guessing it would also do a pretty good job protecting the very same guns from goofy employees who are pushing (and flipping over) huge metal desks through the showroom.:D

What are you talking about!?! ;)

Thats has NEVER happened in my shop!!!! :P

We keep our higher end Berettas/Weatherbys/Brownings whatever on the rifle racks behind the counter. The customers have to ask to see them, but they are in plain view so they can see what we have there without asking first.

That said, we've had relatively little in the way of higher end guns being scratch or dinged in some way - although there are several accidents that do stick out in my mind. Most of our dings/scratches unfortunately come from the employees not being careful when they put them back up on the rack. I cringe everytime I hear someone say from out front, "Well, there goes my paycheck!". Fortunately its pretty isolated.