Gun Shops: Don't ya just hate em!?

The spinning racks don't bother me a bit.

I like it better when they are organized well.

Say they were all Shotguns, or bolt actions, or

even all of the same make.

That way if I'm not really interested in looking at over

and unders and notice a few in there I can look at other things.

Just me though... others may be different.

Yeah, thats the plan. Group them by categories so the customer looking for pretty brown shotguns can find them without sorting through all those scary black rifles :)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about!?! :)

Thats has NEVER happened in my shop!!!! :P

Seriously though--I would see no problem with a spinning rack like the one pictured. This would be especially true in a store like yours. You did have a great selection of firearms, but I'm sure there were plenty in the back that were too nice to put on the showroom floor. This would allow you to showcase an even larger selection out in the open.

I think it's a great idea. Not only will it keep the higher-end guns safe from careless customers, but I'm guessing it would also do a pretty good job protecting the very same guns from goofy employees who are pushing (and flipping over) huge metal desks through the showroom.:P

+1 :)

I like being able to look..if I really want to look at one, I'll ask someone to let me see it.

Seriously though--I would see no problem with a spinning rack like the one pictured. This would be especially true in a store like yours. You did have a great selection of firearms, but I'm sure there were plenty in the back that were too nice to put on the showroom floor. This would allow you to showcase an even larger selection out in the open.

TDR Have I told you yet that your avatar is awsome?

Guest Revelator

Like this: (only not camouflage)

diplaycase.jpg

We have 4 of these units showing up this week, and they should in place by Monday.

If you ever decide to open up an all-night diner, that'll make one fine tactical cake display!

But seriously, a good way to show them off and it would not intimidate or turn off customers. New customers probably won't be buying the top-shelf product but that type of display will impress them and they will feel they've come to a nice shop.

I remember WalMart having those a while back. I wonder if they still have them sitting in back looking for someone to take them off of their hands.....

i only do business with one gun shop anymore, my other local gunshop has maybe 30 total guns in stock and treat you like its a privelege for you to be able to walk in their establishment(tullahoma). and the local pawnshop/gunshop has very high prices(manchester).

for me there is a very fine line between the employees being very aggravating by asking me constantly "can i help you". and not acknowledging me. i only want to be asked if i need help 1) when i first walk through the door, and 2) when i come to the counter(s), i dont need someone looking over my shoulder, and waiting to ask if i need help everytime i pick up a gun.

i would really like to see more guns in the open to pick up and hold and see how they fit your hand

Here's a question for the masses;

We have a hard time displaying our mid to higher end long guns.

I am always afraid that some knucklehead is going to be knocking rifles around in my racks, and scratch, dent, or ding a nice 1000.00 rifle, or jack up a rifle with a nice Leupold or Zeiss scope on it.

diplaycase.jpg

Gee, you'll look just like Wal-Mart. :)

All of the shops around here have their rifles behind the counter.

Guest coldblackwind

Personally, my worst experience was in manchester at a pawn shop. I waited ten minutes for the 6 people behind the counter to finally let me look at a glock. The next day I came back (after reviewing my funds) and waited 10 more minutes to see the same gun, then the guy walked off. 10 more minutes later I got his attention. Then I filled out the paper work for the background, waited 15 minutes for him to take it. Then I waited another 20 minutes while they did the background check (which was actually all of 5 minutes) and rang up the gun. I was in that shop for almost and hour when I knew before I walked through the door I was buying the gun. Another was when my father asked for a magazine for a .308 ar-15, and they held up a .223 magazine, and said "well won't this work?"

On the other hand, I was in hero gear for the first time last weekend, and they asked me 3-4 times while I was in there if there was anything I wanted to see, and discussed pretty much everything we looked at with me and my friend. They also talked and joked with a little like, 6 year old girl, whenever I take my 2 year old to a gun shop they look at me like I have the black plague.

Oh, and nightrunner, theres 2 pawnshops in manchester, one has very little and high prices, the other has quite a bit and more reasonable prices, but horrible service (as mentioned above). Theres also 2 pawnshops in tullahoma, and there used to be another gun store out on cat creek road in manchester, last time I was there he just had reloading supplies though, no guns. I think I know what you mean about the store in tullahoma though, the one that has to buzz you in the door so you can look at all 5 guns in stock?

Personally, my worst experience was in manchester at a pawn shop. I waited ten minutes for the 6 people behind the counter to finally let me look at a glock. The next day I came back (after reviewing my funds) and waited 10 more minutes to see the same gun, then the guy walked off. 10 more minutes later I got his attention. Then I filled out the paper work for the background, waited 15 minutes for him to take it. Then I waited another 20 minutes while they did the background check (which was actually all of 5 minutes) and rang up the gun. I was in that shop for almost and hour when I knew before I walked through the door I was buying the gun. Another was when my father asked for a magazine for a .308 ar-15, and they held up a .223 magazine, and said "well won't this work?"

On the other hand, I was in hero gear for the first time last weekend, and they asked me 3-4 times while I was in there if there was anything I wanted to see, and discussed pretty much everything we looked at with me and my friend. They also talked and joked with a little like, 6 year old girl, whenever I take my 2 year old to a gun shop they look at me like I have the black plague.

Oh, and nightrunner, theres 2 pawnshops in manchester, one has very little and high prices, the other has quite a bit and more reasonable prices, but horrible service (as mentioned above). Theres also 2 pawnshops in tullahoma, and there used to be another gun store out on cat creek road in manchester, last time I was there he just had reloading supplies though, no guns. I think I know what you mean about the store in tullahoma though, the one that has to buzz you in the door so you can look at all 5 guns in stock?

Good meeting you the other day.

BTW, your daughter is darling! You're going to be in trouble when she gets older...(says the guy with the 11 year old daughter that just started middle school....:))

Guest coldblackwind

Actually, that wasn't me, I was the guy down the counter, I was incognito :), I just noticed the exchange. No worries, I plan to be back this weekend, and I'll have my daughter in tow, so we'll remedy that.

Actually, that wasn't me, I was the guy down the counter, I was incognito :P, I just noticed the exchange. No worries, I plan to be back this weekend, and I'll have my daughter in tow, so we'll remedy that.

Ohhhh....gotcha.

Dont worry man....I bet your daughter is darling too! :)

We will look forward to meeting her next time you come in.

Guest coldblackwind

oh yeah, that was quite a place, I went in there one time, I was less than impressed. Being as I was the only one in there I sort of forced the woman behind the counter to talk to me, and she said something about having a new gunsmith who was going to manufacture class III.

Guest coldblackwind

Hey, there were more than glocks! There was at least 2-3 revolvers, and a bolt action rifle when I was in there! As for fitting 10 people, they would have to come in a van because the parking lot only holds like, 4 cars tops, and they probably wouldn't buzz that many people in at one time. They watched me like a hawk the whole time I was there, thats why I made the woman talk to me, if she was gonna make me feel uncomfortable, I was going to return the favor :)

i think when i was there they had some FN handguns in there but that was before the FNP's came out.

their service absolutely sucks, the pawn shops i go to are better than they are, onyl difference in the gun shop actually does clear the weapon before handing it to you, the pawn shop just gives you a gun with a magazine in it to look at and then walks off

it hasnt been but about 1month now that they have even been open on saturday and its only 1/2 a day then.

Joining the party late, but most of my comments will just repeat others' comments:

1. Acknowledge the customer; it's NOT enough to just look in his direction (which seems to be a trend in some of the Metro Nashville shops).

2. Once the customer stops and looks at a particular gun or guns, just state that you'll be glad to pull it out of the counter (ie: not too pushy, not to standoffish -- if that's a word).

3. Ask the customer's name AND introduce yourself once the customer engages your help.

4. Realize that some customers (I know this one was stated earlier) are slow to buy. I will NOT buy a gun the first time I look at it. In fact, I may want to look at it 3 or 4 times before buying. I try to do this at the gunshow rather than bothering the local shops, but sometimes that the only way.

5. Just be nice. I can't tell you how many times a salesman has handed me a gun and acted like I was wasting his time or just ignored me. :rolleyes: If you'll just talk casually, most customers will appreciate it.

6. As others have stated, price it correctly. I'm willing to pay SOME additional amount for local service, but I'm not paying through the nose! (Example: a local shop had my P30 priced at $999 (recently dropped to $899), but an online dealer had it at $729 including shipping.)

Joe -- the cases are actually a great idea. Being able to see the gun up close is ALMOST as good as holding it. Just make sure you are quick to offer to open the case (which I'm sure you will).

Want to hear something funny? He actually had the balls to tell everyone he was going to "put me out of business" when we were first opening up.... :rolleyes:

I guess that didn't happen. :)

That has happened with a couple of shops in our area - that no longer exist.

Guest canynracer
Here's a question for the masses;

We have a hard time displaying our mid to higher end long guns.

I am always afraid that some knucklehead is going to be knocking rifles around in my racks, and scratch, dent, or ding a nice 1000.00 rifle, or jack up a rifle with a nice Leupold or Zeiss scope on it.

So, to help with this, we are going to put all of our nicer rifles/shotguns that we dont want banged around into rotating display cases.

Like this: (only not camouflage)

diplaycase.jpg

We have 4 of these units showing up this week, and they should in place by Monday.

Question:

Are shoppers turned off by not being able to root through the rifles the very moment they walk in the door? Is this a bad move on our part?

My thinking is that it will allow me to place nicer and sometimes more delicate rifles out for display, and also encourage customer/staff interaction as we assist the customer by opening the case, clearing the firearm, and helping them with any questions they may have.

Thoughts?

I think it is a good idea, but please make the prices visible. If see a case, and I dont see the prices, I feel like an ass asking "How much" ..its not that I am not gonna buy, but it may be that "impulse"

buy, and I dont want to waste a salesmans time answering the how much question.

If I see the guns in the cases, but cant see prices, I usually wont ask, just cause I dont want to bug a salesman.