Deported Veterans

While they should be punished for the crimes they've committed, I have an issue with deporting someone who willingly put their lives on the line for our freedoms.

http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Deported-veterans-Banished-for-committing-crimes-after-serving-in-the-U.S.-military_Tuesday-August-13-2013
Edited by TripleDigitRide
Playboy did an article about this not long ago, some of the crimes that are resulting in deportation include speeding and other minor crap. If I remember correctly, a few were deported for crimes (drug use I think it was) committed before they even served in the military. Seems they were promised citizenship and forgiveness when they signed up, and then were used overseas and now being thrown away.

I am all for deporting illegals. But if someone comes here and is willing to place their life on the line for this country then it doesn't seem right to deport them for minor incidents, especially when there are millions of other illegals running around who did not serve.
  • Like 1
Guest nra37922

Playboy did an article about this not long ago, some of the crimes that are resulting in deportation include speeding and other minor crap. If I remember correctly, a few were deported for crimes (drug use I think it was) committed before they even served in the military. Seems they were promised citizenship and forgiveness when they signed up, and then were used overseas and now being thrown away.

I am all for deporting illegals. But if someone comes here and is willing to place their life on the line for this country then it doesn't seem right to deport them for minor incidents, especially when there are millions of other illegals running around who did not serve.

+1

Agreed 100%

I don't see what one has to with the other.  If you are not a citizen and you come to this country and commit crimes you should be kicked out.  That statement should have no asterik next to it.  I realize that many DO come here and don't do squat, commit crimes and get the revolving door.  I don't think that is excusable either.

What I am left to wonder is how that one guy served in the Marines for 8 years and never got his citizenship.  That doesn't smell right.  I remember seeing low ranking guys with only a few years of service getting their citizenship.  Either this guy has other issues or he was just lazy for not applying and doing the work to get his citizenship.  Either way, I don't care.  F*** him. 

He wasn't a US citizen and he committed a felony, which will get you deported.  He knew the rules and he made his choice.  This article is written in a way that I'm supposed to feel bad for him because at some point he was living the American dream in a nice house and running his own business.  That all sounds awesome up until he broke the rules.  I fail to see how everything he did up until he decided to be a drug dealer has anything to do with him being deported.  In fact, I'm willing to bet that this isn't the first time he was involved in such criminal activity.  You don't just wake up one day and decide you're going to be a drug dealer in large amounts of illegal drugs.  He was sentenced to 4 years.  That isn't for a couple baggies of weed.

It is a simple equation:

Non-citizen + felony drug dealing = deportation

Having been in the military does not fit into that equation.  I'm tired of stories where I'm supposed to feel bad for people who are SOLELY responsible for their own woes in life.

• Like 1

I would like to know how an illegal alien is allowed to enter U.S. military service in the first place???

However it happened, unless it was a matter of policy/law before entering the military, military service is not, in my opinion, an automatic "pass" for coming to this country illegally, staying in this country illegally, working in this country illegally or living off the federal teat illegally.

These people, whether they came here as adults or were dragged along with their parents, should not be here and that fact that we let them stay is a disgrace and an affront to every law-abiding citizen here and most especially so to those who came here following the rules.

Edited by RobertNashville

He wasn't illegal when he joined. He came here illegally, was granted immunity under the Reagan administration and got his greencard as a lawful permanent resident.

That makes no sense juxtaposed with him being "deported".

As I remember it, most of those who were covered under the 1986 (???) law passed while Reagan was president were not granted "immunity" but true amnesty - those folks were made legal citizens. As far as I know, there is no provision in immigration law that allows a legalized citizen to be "deported".

Also, even if that situation applies to some "illegal" veterans it certainly can't be applicable to all of those that are being deported...I have to believe, given their period of military service, that many of these illegal aliens were illegal when they joined which still begs the questions of why in the world an illegal alien was allowed to serve.

Edited by RobertNashville

This article is written in a way that I'm supposed to feel bad for him because at some point he was living the American dream in a nice house and running his own business.  That all sounds awesome up until he broke the rules.  I fail to see how everything he did up until he decided to be a drug dealer has anything to do with him being deported.  In fact, I'm willing to bet that this isn't the first time he was involved in such criminal activity.  You don't just wake up one day and decide you're going to be a drug dealer in large amounts of illegal drugs.  He was sentenced to 4 years.  That isn't for a couple baggies of weed.

Are you sayin' there was a spin on the story, due to chronic libtardation on the part of the writer? I'm just wondering if it's any scarier fighting Afghan goat humpers with our great military gear, or fighting the drug cartels with a pocketful of rocks.

Edited by mikegideon

Also, even if that situation applies to some "illegal" veterans it certainly can't be applicable to all of those that are being deported...I have to believe, given their period of military service, that many of these illegal aliens were illegal when they joined which still begs the questions of why in the world an illegal alien was allowed to serve.

Cannon fodder?

I in no way condone being here illegally, but it seems several of these veterans are getting a raw deal. Some crimes should not be ignored and they should suffer the consequences, but at the same time not every misdemeanor should be cause for deportation when there is no push to deport other illegals.

If one is going to be deported, then deport every one. What about amnesty, would these vets be welcome back and all forgiven?

As for articles being written in a way to incite feelings of empathy and sorrow, IMO almost all articles are written in a way to swing the majority of readers to one side or another.
  • Like 1

Let's face it. Talks about the various amnesty ideas would go nowhere if it wasn't for kids with illegal parents, who really aren't at fault for their illegal status. That's why I'm not as hard on Rubio as a lot of folks. If you can't get past the politics, nothing gets done. I think they should deport all the Democrats, but it probably won't make it through Congress.

First off, this noncitizen committed a serious felony.  There is no way around that.  I realize it wasn't a violent crime, however it was a felony just the same.  He doesn't respect the laws of our country and doesn't deserve to be a citizen. 

Secondly, I think the author confuses deportation as an additional punishment on top of prison time; it isn't.  Being deported is not a punishment.  It is a foreigner losing their privilege to be here.  Is it a "punishment" if you get kicked out of a night club for acting like a fool?  No.  It is simply the night club saying that you have lost the privilege to be there.  These veterans who go on to commit crimes have lost that privilege, same as any other foreigner who comes to our country and does not respect our laws.  I don't see what the conflict here is.

The author, convict and these liberal politicians are making this out to be "not fair" because regular Americans aren't deported when they commit a crime.  I don't see how that is even an argument.  Of course Americans are deported; they're freaking citizens!  Why should we not deport a foreigner who has shown themselves to be criminal trash???  Because they wore a uniform?  Well so did I, so does that put me in a different category than the rest of America if I decide to commit a crime?  WTF? 

On another note, as a veteran I've been getting pretty tired of this nonsense I've been seeing over the years of vets being used as pawns in the greater political arena, much in the same way other minority groups are used to generate emotions, manipulate votes and leverage support for whatever BS cause that has nothing to do with the actual people they claim to support.  I don't like it.  Whenever I see a politician trying to be a champion of veteran's rights I want to see what the left hand is doing.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

Cannon fodder?

I in no way condone being here illegally, but it seems several of these veterans are getting a raw deal. Some crimes should not be ignored and they should suffer the consequences, but at the same time not every misdemeanor should be cause for deportation when there is no push to deport other illegals.

If one is going to be deported, then deport every one. What about amnesty, would these vets be welcome back and all forgiven?

As for articles being written in a way to incite feelings of empathy and sorrow, IMO almost all articles are written in a way to swing the majority of readers to one side or another.

The biggest raw deal I see here is on us in that the federal government has for decades, reniged on one of its most basic responsibilities which is to maintain secure borders and protect the country. The government's complete disregard of that responsibility is what has allowed our country to be invaded by 10, 20, 30, 40 million criminals.  In other words, this vet and all the others being deported raw deal happened when they (or their criminal parents) were allowed to cross the border, allowed to live here, and allowed to work here.

I agree, we should be deporting every single one of them, not just some and not just veterans (I'd still like to know how the hell illegal aliens got into the service in the first place...when I was in I held a top secret clearance...do we have illegal aliens running around with such clearances in today's military???).

I appreciate the service of every veteran who honorably served; they've earned it.  But, life doesn't stop there...they need to continue to earn appreciation and respect during the rest of their lives (and dealing drugs is not how you do that).

[ (I'd still like to know how the hell illegal aliens got into the service in the first place...when I was in I held a top secret clearance...do we have illegal aliens running around with such clearances in today's military???).

He wasn't an illegal, he had a green card. I actually read about half the story, then got too pissed to read the rest. I took a deep breath and read on and saw that he never submitted for his citizenship. If he had he probably would just be another American convict. My give a crap meter isn't registering though, it's his fault. There aren't illegal aliens in the military unless they have a stolen identity, so that should answer about them getting clearances.