9mm shooting to the left.

I'm still pretty new to guns but I went to the range this morning and at 5 yards the bullet hit about 1" 1/2 to the left about 90% of the time.  at 15 yards It was hard to even tell where the bullet went.

The rear sight of my ruger p95 would not move after i loosened the set screw.  Anyone know how to move it and which way I move it to make it accurate?    it's near perfect vertically  though.

Was it just one shot or did you have consistent groups to the left? Was it directly left or low/high left. More often than not it is the shooter rather than the gun. Have someone experienced put a mag through it before monkeying with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 2

Was it just one shot or did you have consistent groups to the left? Was it directly left or low/high left. More often than not it is the shooter rather than the gun. Have someone experienced put a mag through it before monkeying with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It was in groups, I aim a couple inches directly right of bullseye and it hits right on the bullseye.  it's good high and low. 

I vote trigger squeeze (or pull/jerk). Even if the sights were completely cocked over to one side it shouldn't be that far off. I'm assuming they're lined up with the barrel though. Every time I've seen this it has been a fundamentals of marksmanship issue, not the firearm. Edited by TMF

At only 5 yards I'm prone to suggest operator.

Take a look at this:

target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg

so thats saying I have too little trigger finger?  I won't deny i'm not a good shooter, 300 rounds is all ive ever shot. I'll keep working on it to see if i can find the problem and adjust. 

Maybe. The point is don't immediately assume it's the gun.

Why not start at 3 yards and see what happens. Accurate shooting is an acquired accomplishment. What better excuse do you need to shoot more?   :up:

I'm still pretty new to guns but I went to the range this morning and at 5 yards the bullet hit about 1" 1/2 to the left about 90% of the time.  at 15 yards It was hard to even tell where the bullet went.

The rear sight of my ruger p95 would not move after i loosened the set screw.  Anyone know how to move it and which way I move it to make it accurate?    it's near perfect vertically  though.

Left or right hand shooter?

Left or right eye dominate?

...The rear sight of my ruger p95 would not move after i loosened the set screw.  Anyone know how to move it and which way I move it to make it accurate?    it's near perfect vertically  though.

You still have to tap it with something after you loosen set screw, can't do it with fingers only, you know?

If indeed you decide to compensate for windage with sights (although I also suggest you rule out shooting technique first), you move rear sights in the same direction you want the bullet impact to change. In other words if you want impact to move to the left, move sight to left. If it needs to go right, move sight right. (left and right being relative from rear of pistol).

Hold up right hand with two fingers in V close to you (rear sight), left hand with only index finger up away from you (front sight) and "sight". Move right hand only left or right, then "resight" by moving left hand only, you'll grok it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Have someone else shoot it. 

My suggestion as well. It may not be you, but that is the cheapest, easiest place to start checking for problems. It is also usually the problem when I have a handgun that won't shoot to the point of aim. I've found that shooting a handgun well isn't an easy thing to do; at least not for me.

• Like 1

My suggestion as well. It may not be you, but that is the cheapest, easiest place to start checking for problems. It is also usually the problem when I have a handgun that won't shoot to the point of aim. I've found that shooting a handgun well isn't an easy thing to do; at least not for me.

You aint alone. :wave:

• Like 1

I never thought shooting a gun would have so many variables to be accurate.   but i need to get better before I go for the permit.

Its a lot easier to pass than you would think.  Some people have no idea what they are doing but they pass anyway.  The real concern is that you are responsible for every round you let loose in an emergency situation.

• Like 1

If you're new try using this target next time you go:

TargetRightHanded.jpg

You can print out a bunch of free ones to help you with advancing your skills here (these are the ones we use every time we go as well):

http://www.mvgunclub.com/targs/index.html