My mossberg home defense shotgun

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Here is my home defense shotgun. Its a Mossberg 500A.

This came with the wood furniture and 28" ported barrel. I replaced the barrel with the Mossberg 95003 kit (i think that's the number). Its the 18" barrel with front ghost ring soldered on. It came with the rear ghost ring.

Accessories
Choate short forend
Vang Comp Systems metal safety
John Masen polymer heat Shield
Tacstar 6 shot side saddle
Black hawk knoxx spec ops recoil reducing stock with power pak (shell holder and cheek rests) shell holder kit, Hogue hand all grip and limb saver butt pad custom made for the recoil reducing stock.
Quake industries "the claw" od green sling.
Od green cerakote paint job by predator custom shop in Knoxville TN

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Looks good> What used to slay birds is now a bad guy dropping S.O.B, good job :up:

Yeah,

I tried to make it as practical and as effective as possible.

Looks great! How do you like the cheek pad on the Knoxx? I've thought about adding one to mine but not sure. With the Knoxx you definitely have to watch where you place your cheek.

So how many rounds can you carry?
Edited by Trekbike
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Looks great! How do you like the cheek pad on the Knoxx? I've thought about adding one to mine but not sure. With the Knoxx you definitely have to watch where you place your cheek.

So how many rounds can you carry?

I used the smaller one and it does fine I like it. I get no cheek slap when using it.

But having said that I also used a mossberg stock drop spacer between the receiver and stock. If I hadn't used it the sight picture would have been above the ghost rings. One of these days if I win the lottery I'm going to buy the mesa tactical hydraulic recoil system.

I can carry 4 rounds on the shell carrier on the stock, 6 rounds in the side saddle, so that's 10 plus the five rounds in the mag tube/chamber. You're looking at 15 rounds total.

Get you some fiochi low recoil law enforcement 9 pellet buck shot. It will kick like a 22 with the Knox stock. With full power loads I sometimes do get a head ache but there is significantly less recoil with the knoxx recoil reducing stock.

Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest Bonedaddy

Back in the mid 80's I brought, brand new, a 500 for $250. It came with wood furniture, a 26", modified choke, huntin' barrel, an 18 1/2" barrel and a pistol grip. Awesome shotgun. Wish I had never sold it.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Back in the mid 80's I brought, brand new, a 500 for $250. It came with wood furniture, a 26", modified choke, huntin' barrel, an 18 1/2" barrel and a pistol grip. Awesome shotgun. Wish I had never sold it.

Cool,

I seem to wind up regretting selling most firearms that I've sold. Especially my 1911.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

How easy is it to flip the safety on or off with that pistol grip?

That is why I sold my Mossberg, pistol grips and Mossbergs don't play nice together. I just kept mine off of safe and the chamber empty until I sold it.

Fairly easy. I use my weak hand to disengage it while holding the pistol grip and the gun down range. I basically do it while I'm combat loading. The Vang comp metal safety is metal and a bit bigger thus easier to engage.

You could get a maverick 88 made by Mossberg. It comes with a cross bolt safety like the Remington 870. Its basically a Mossberg 500 with a cross bolt safety. 500 and mav 88 parts are compatible.

Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Nice job on the gun, and nice job shaming me into finally modding my 500. :surrender:

Thanks for the compliments

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Nice job on the gun, and nice job shaming me into finally modding my 500. :surrender:

My suggestion would be do not get the ati scorpion stock. It did not reduce recoil. It caused alot of cheek slap. It really sucked.