Snakes!!!

just remember people it is illegal to kill or molest a snake in tenn. run into a game warden with an agenda and one can have a very bad day. needless to say the rattlers are very good eating. ate my first rattlesnake meat at the big texan "think that is the name"  in Texas years ago

Ah, IC, just seemed you meant they found eggs first before they "hatched".

All US/Canadian venomous snakes give live birth except the coral snake which does lay eggs. The cottonmouth is technically oviparous instead of viviparous like the rattlesnake and copperhead, meaning that the brood does hatch from eggs, but they are retained inside the female until ready for the live birth.

- OS

Good info.  And who else had to google "oviparous" and "viviparous"?  :)

snakes loves rats.  you might have some close to the house and the snakes are getting some free and easy food.  

That's what we assume the snakes were doing in my in-laws garage.  They had a mouse infestation at that time. 

And its also what make them good to have around.  They do an excellent job of pest control.  Though given the option, I prefer owls and raptors. 

Edited by peejman

I live in a very rural area so mice, moles ans shrews are pretty common. We have never seen a mouse in our house or evidence they are here other than the times one of our cats snuck in with one in its mouth. Our cats leave body parts and whole bodies laying around every day.

We see snakes every year but this has been the most active year in a very long time.

I like snakes.. I am not afraid of them..UNLESS they are copperheads and rattlesnakes.. IN MY DRIVEWAY..

Usually we get all sorts of snakes.. garter, black, green and corn..

Within a week we had 2 poisonous snakes  at the house.. never seen before since we have lived up here.

I have dogs and cats..

Sucks to be a snake .. :(

Not to be a douchenozzle but venomous would be the correct word. Venom must be injected while poison must by ingested. Sorry, I was wanting to be a Herpetologist and no, that isn't the study of an STD, lolz. ;)

There are four species of venomous snakes, whose toxin is harmful to humans(there are two others but whose venom is nontoxic to humans and most animals), and native to TN; Copperhead, Western Water Moccasin, Pigmy Rattlesnake, and Timber Rattlesnake. Copperheads generally about 50% of the time give a dry bite but the younger the copperhead the more likely you are to get dosed with venom but NOT because they have more venom(urban myth) but because the ADULTS are more aware of their venom control and are only biting out of self-preservation. Water Moccasins are only indigenous to West TN hence their name and most sightings east of West TN are 99% chance to be a water snake as the two are close cousins and look VERY similar to the point to where they can only be told apart from the distingushing features of the head, namely the eyes as the Common Watersnake will have circular shaped eyes and the ol' Cottonmouth will have eliptical eyes much like a cat not that you wanna be that close, lol. Also, you can't distinguish the Water Moccasin from its "white mouth" as ALL snakes indigenous to TN have white mouths.

Edited by whitewolf001

Also, another thing that the Common Watersnake and Water Moccasin share in common is their highly aggresive nature. They will both chase you out of their territory and I've heard stories of people being chased out of their own boats because one of the two fell into the boat from hanging in a tree, how true that is, I don't know but they do have very aggressive tendencies and are best left alone at all possible.

Guest Bonedaddy

My in-laws had a Copperhead lay eggs and have lots of tiny copperhead babies... in their garage.

Copperheads don't lay eggs. They hatch inside the mother and she gives live birth.

Shoulda read the other post before I posted that. Seems I'm late to the party.

Edited by Bonedaddy
I just realized it is August and I have seen more sankes during August than any other month. My family used to have a farm in North Georgia right on Chickamauga Creek Adjacent to TN. I can only recall seeing about two snakes during months other than August but come August they would come out. When I was 16 I killed 6 copperheads in one day, your typical 2 footers, they were laying out of a watering hole that was built to swim in years ago. Almost exactly 1 year later I killed two more in the exact same spot. I remember both days well, each year it was the day before going back to school. Managed to kill a few with the bush hog during August as well. I never saw a rattler though, only a few black snakes, several copper heads, and a couple of pretty colored up king snakes on the old farm.

I just realized it is August and I have seen more sankes during August than any other month. My family used to have a farm in North Georgia right on Chickamauga Creek Adjacent to TN. I can only recall seeing about two snakes during months other than August but come August they would come out. When I was 16 I killed 6 copperheads in one day, your typical 2 footers, they were laying out of a watering hole that was built to swim in years ago. Almost exactly 1 year later I killed two more in the exact same spot. I remember both days well, each year it was the day before going back to school. Managed to kill a few with the bush hog during August as well. I never saw a rattler though, only a few black snakes, several copper heads, and a couple of pretty colored up king snakes on the old farm.

Those are good to keep around as they consume rodents and pests and the king snake will eat vamints and other venomous/non-venomous snakes, hence why they're called king snakes.

Edited by whitewolf001

Ok guys, if you are going to beat my wife up over the use of poisonous vs venomous I suggest you go back and check your own posts. Both of you have numerous mispellings. If you are going to judge someone else you might want to make sure you don't fall out of that ivory tower doing it.

uh misspellings   ;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misspelling

• Like 1

Ok guys, if you are going to beat my wife up over the use of poisonous vs venomous I suggest you go back and check your own posts. Both of you have numerous mispellings. If you are going to judge someone else you might want to make sure you don't fall out of that ivory tower doing it.

Dude, butthurt much? I was being as nice as possible there and yes, I may have misspellings but is that any reason to attack my integrity, if I wanted to be mean I could've but I was being lighthearted about it. Look at what I wrote and think about that, I said, "Not to be a douchenozzle but venomous would be the correct word. Venom must be injected while poison must by ingested. Sorry, I was wanting to be a Herpetologist and no, that isn't the study of an STD, lolz. ;)"  NOW THEN, is that any reason to come off with the crap you just spouted good sir?

Edited by whitewolf001

Timber Rattlers native range covers the entire state of Tennessee, so you could encounter them anywhere, even near town if habitat was conducive nearby.

Most TR's I've encountered have been docile. Some never moved when I stepped right next to them, one barely moved, even when prodded with a stick.

One however stood up and tried to block our path. We stepped to the side and it moved in front of us. It's in snake heaven now.

Yikes! It was probably his wife you poked with the stick and he came back... WITH A VENGEANCE!!!

I was trying to be funny, I couldn't careless if they are referred to as poisonous vs venomous.

Anyone ever been tagged by a cotton mouth or copperhead?

I see them a lot around here but I see them in spurts. Might see 2-3 in a week then none for a couple or three months?

I doubt I'd go to the hospital right away from a bite, just clean it and monitor it for 24 hours. Based on my history I doubt I'd have any abnormal reactions. Then again...

When I was younger I had  job where I would get stung by wasps 2-20 times a day in the summer (under propane tank lids) and it didn't physically bother me. Now when I get stung by a wasp it's a three day affair with swelling, pain and a bad itch? Guess the ole metabolism has changed. Same way with poison ivy / oak, use to be able to sleep in it with no reaction, now I get it if I look at it to hard?

• Like 1

I see them a lot around here but I see them in spurts. Might see 2-3 in a week then none for a couple or three months?

I doubt I'd go to the hospital right away from a bite, just clean it and monitor it for 24 hours. Based on my history I doubt I'd have any abnormal reactions. Then again...

When I was younger I had  job where I would get stung by wasps 2-20 times a day in the summer (under propane tank lids) and it didn't physically bother me. Now when I get stung by a wasp it's a three day affair with swelling, pain and a bad itch? Guess the ole metabolism has changed. Same way with poison ivy / oak, use to be able to sleep in it with no reaction, now I get it if I look at it to hard?

I try my damndest to not get bit, haha. Though me and a bud used to go Rattlesnake hunting when we were younger, were we dumb? Yes... Did we care? Not in the slightest.

I have. Ive been bite once by a blacksnake when I was 14. I was young and stupid and messing with it and it bit my hand. Then when I was 18 I stepped on a copperhead and it nailed me in the calf. Went home, cleaned the marks, drank some shine and went to bed. Stayed in bed for 24 hours. Felt like shit, but no nasty side affects afterwards. Can barely see the scars now. The blacksnake made me sicker than a dog, had to g9 t9 the doc for antibiotics on that one. I always wear heavy work boots, and have had several strike my boot when I was catching them. Heavy leather boots are a good thing in snake country.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1

I have. Ive been bite once by a blacksnake when I was 14. I was young and stupid and messing with it and it bit my hand. Then when I was 18 I stepped on a copperhead and it nailed me in the calf. Went home, cleaned the marks, drank some shine and went to bed. Stayed in bed for 24 hours. Felt like shit, but no nasty side affects afterwards. Can barely see the scars now. The blacksnake made me sicker than a dog, had to g9 t9 the doc for antibiotics on that one. I always wear heavy work boots, and have had several strike my boot when I was catching them. Heavy leather boots are a good thing in snake country.

are blacksnakes venomous?

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

are blacksnakes venomous?

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

No but from what I remember the bacteria in its mouth gave me an infection