Who goes camping , like TN. State Parks ?

Been all over the USA , have a 1971 Airstream Land Yacht. Replaced things like water heaters , carpet , refrigerators , front window deflectors ; in aluminum to match instead of $500 plastic. Brakes , tires , electro magnetic brakes , what's left to do ? Maybe polish to a mirror shine , who wants that job ? Applications accepted...... Montgomery Bell is a fav for cat fishing , Cedars Of Lebanon for disk competition , what you say ?

Even shot skeet and trap at Henry Horton.

Where you at ?

380 Edited by Threeeighty

I'm not sure what the hell you posted, I can read spanish, english, some languages derived from Latin, eubonics, hick, redneck, just can't understand what the hell you are getting at..  :confused:

But I'll answer your TN camping question. I've been to FCF, Rock Island (was there the weekend of the great Flood, got a nice wake up at 2am by the Dam Sirens going off), Tims Ford.. There's a spot at Tims Ford where you could catch some Pike, if that's your thing, really close to the shore.. There's another place National Park above the Ocoee River that's pretty nice, if you don't mind the bears or the copperheads.. 

Edited by Joseg
I camp all the time at TN parks. FCF, Cedars, Henry Horton. Like them all, not a fan of Montgomery Bell, though. Good times in the travel trailer. Something to do with the fam other thsn TV. Edited by superduty

Anyone have any thoughts on group sites? I need to book a campground in E. TN for Scout trip with Webelos and Troop that can handle 50 boys. Fall creek Falls and Big SothFork are booked. Any suggestions?

FrozenHead state park. They have back country group camping. The have rustic group camping which is vehicle accessible with sites side by side and a creek runs next to each site.

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FrozenHead/

Here is a pic of camp site #1. The other seven look the same.

Posted Image Edited by D3vo
  • Like 1

I'll second Frozen Head; it is beautiful - there is a lot of history in them there hills.   ;)   ... and if the kids get unruly, it's a short walk to the pen - either brushy mountain ... or it's replacement.

My only gripe with Frozen Head is that you drive by a penitentiary and a major landfill - on the same road as you enter the park.... so that may be a deterent.

Frozen Head has the best non-backcountry tent camping of any state park I've found so far. Period. That's my little tent on the right side of D3vo's picture. The primitive group camps are perfect for people who don't want to be next to an RV, 5 feet from another campsite, or carry an 80 lb. pack 5 miles into the woods. It's only about a 1/4 mile walk back to the main camp site for the indoor plumbing and showers. It's the perfect balance between primitive and modern for car-based tent camping.

As far as I've been able to find, it's the only thing like it in all of the State Parks. Some others have "tent only" camping areas, but they're small gravel pads (aka Chickasaw SP) that are relatively close to one another. They're set up like the main RV-centric campgrounds, just without the RVs and electric hookups.

ochretoe...are you listening? We need more primitive small group camps like Frozen Head's.  :)

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

FrozenHead state park. They have back country group camping. The have rustic group camping which is vehicle accessible with sites side by side and a creek runs next to each site.

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FrozenHead/

Here is a pic of camp site #1. The other seven look the same.

ajyja4u3.jpg

I see you're in Mt Juliet, I'm in Lebanon. About how far of a drive is this site?