9mm Revolver Help

glock55

I have decided to purchase a revolver just to have one in the gun collection. I think I would like to find one chambered in 9mm so I don't have to stock another caliber. I see that Taurus makes a revolver model 905 that is chambered in 9mm. I have never heard much good said about Taurus products so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this gun or could recommend a revolver chambered for 9mm. I had originally set these funds aside for a Glock 30s but think a revolver might be a more prudent buy. I really like the Ruger SP101 and if the 9mm chamber doesn't work out I will probably go that route. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have the S&W 940 and really like it. But it is a stout little bugger to shoot.

Picked up the Taurus 905 last year in a lgs, but haven't shot it.

I've seen and held the Ruger 9mm revolver and wished I could buy one. It feels great. And that frame should make firing the 9 feel like a light 38.

Guest The Itis

Taurus revolvers are not responsible for the flak they get from Taurus haters, as far as I've read. My Taurus revolver has been flawless from day 1.

I'm liking the moonclip idea, a S&W 325 is on my list. It's a 45acp revolver. Would've been great if there was a 9mm version, and there may be, I don't know.

I've never had any problems with any Taurii revolvers that I've ever owned, so I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another, however that said as with any firearm that I buy, I'd want to inspect it real good prior to walking out the LGS door with it.
Even the Taurus 9mm is not too common. I had a S&W 940, I traded a mint OD Glock for it when OD's were bringing big bucks. The 940 was a little stout. I sold it for 650 after having it only a couple of months. I really don't care anything about owning another one unless it is a collectors piece like a S&W 547(k frame 9mm. Here is the reason I feel this way. A 357 mag is so much more versatile. Even a 327mag which can effectively shoot 5 different calibers is much more versatile. One thing to note is that loading and unloading a moon clipped revolver is faster until one of the clips get bent or broke. Most of these 9mm revolvers can shoot without the moon clips but unloading them takes a lot of time. Most 9mm revolvers can also shoot 9mm Federal (rimmed 9mm) rounds but it is practical to do so unless you reload.

Couple of other current options:

Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and 9mm combo.

0308.jpg

Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm:

9mmPitbull.jpg

- OS

IIRC, isn't the Charter version also capable of firing .380 as well as 9mm?  Might be useful if there were ever a time when ammo is difficult to find or if one actually saw .380 ammo on shelves more often than 9mm.  Hey, that would never happen, though, right?  What?  It's happening right now?  Well, okay, then.

A Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertible is one of my "one of these days" guns.

Edited by JAB

IIRC, isn't the Charter version also capable of firing .380 as well as 9mm?

Don't see how it could. Like the Blackhawk the Charter headspaces on the shoulder of the round, doesn't accept moon clips, and the .380 is 4.5mm shorter, so hammer wouldn't touch primer. .380 would be pretty loose in chamber, might go off it you held it straight up or something, so that round slid back to hammer, dunno.

A Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertible is one of my "one of these days" guns.

Love mine. 9mm sort of feels like .22mag through the thing. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

A 9mm SP-101 will run you $800-900 these days.

Honestly....If money the only factor preventing you from getting one...Why not just get one in .357?  I know it is not like your 9mm collection, but it doesn't make sense to spend 2X the money for something like this.

A 9mm SP-101 will run you $800-900 these days.

Honestly....If money the only factor preventing you from getting one...Why not just get one in .357?  I know it is not like your 9mm collection, but well, then you'd have a .357

FIFY.

I like the idea of a 9mm revolver and could easily understand why someone wouldn't want to add another caliber to stock.  That said, while I have multiple revolvers in different chamberings, I personally believe that if someone has only one revolver then it should be a .357 of some type.

Oh, and to keep it sort of related to the question in the OP, the Taurus Model 66 that I bought used works just fine - and is currently my only .357 revolver.  Mine is the older (six shot) model.  In fact, a serial number search on the Taurus site indicated it was made in 1987.  I have heard of a few issues with Taurus revolvers, here and there, but then I have heard of a few issues with Ruger and Smith revolvers, here and there.  I think it is mostly the Taurus semiautos that are responsible for something of a bad rep.

Edited by JAB

Everyone quit producing them because they couldn’t sell against the .357 and they didn't want moon clips; now people want them. :rofl:

I am under the impression that the Charter version uses a cylinder that is designed so that moon clips are not used.  Still, though, I see your point.

I've owned two Taurus 905s and one Ruger Speed Six in 9mm.  I have shot a SP101 in 9mm and a S&W 547.    Why two 905s?  I thought my distaste for the 1st one might have been hasty, but after owning the second one I confirmed my dislike for the Taurus, especially the flimsy moonclips.  The Speed Six was a cool gun, big and heavy and no advantage whatsoever over a Glock.  I can see where a collector would want a S&W 547 or maybe a 940.  After owning one of the newer Charter Arms I will not buy another regardless of caliber. The whole action is gritty in the Charters IMHO and there is little to be done about it.  My experience is if you want a little 9mm get a Kimber Solo, SIg 239, S&W Shield, Ruger LC9 or even a Keltec PF9.  If it is for a collection look at mint with matching box and paper S&Ws or Rugers.

Guest copperhead_1911

I am not a big taurus fan, but their 1911, Beretta 92 copy, and revolvers as usually pretty well made. I would give it a try shooting one of their .38 if you can rent one at a range first, but you should be ok. I have shot a 9mm revolver but I believe it was a ruger. Expensive as hell, but nice. I like having extra rounds though with an auto. 

personally I would just buy a .38 special and just keep a couple boxes of ammo amound. 

I am under the impression that the Charter version uses a cylinder that is designed so that moon clips are not used.  Still, though, I see your point.

Correct. Neither it nor the Ruger Blackhawk use moon clips. Won't accept them even if you wanted to.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot