Gotcha

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

A few weeks ago noticed that any time, for instance wife might ask what I want fer supper and I'd launch into a long metaphysical discussion on the issue, she would reply, "Gotcha."

Now I'm certain over the decades that she has uttered "gotcha" many times, but it suddenly seemed her default acknowledgment reply in conversation.

So anyway old dad has been at the hospital the last couple of days and I've been sitting there a lot of hours, and I noticed that everybody at Chatt Memorial hospital wuz saying "gotcha" as the default reply-- Clerks, nurses, doctors.

Then I recalled that stepmom had been in the hospital a few weeks ago and wife had spent many hours at the hospital sitting with her. I theorized that wife had been infected with "gotcha" exposure at the hospital. I mentioned this theory to wife. She hadn't realized she had suddenly been saying "gotcha" a whole bunch lately.

Wife appeared to get in a mild huff and promised, "Well I won't say gotcha ever again." So I had to carefully explain that I don't care how often she says "gotcha". I explained that "gotcha" does not bug me. I had just been innocently explaining to her my theory of where she may have been infected with that word. I don't recall if she said "gotcha" after I finished my apologetic explanation. :)

So here is the question-- Is this specific strain of word abuse isolated to one hospital in my podunk town? Or is this a national infection? Does it primarily affect medical personnel? Or is it spreading to other sectors of society?

I don't get out much, so perhaps this has been going on for awhile and the epidemic has almost peaked before I ever noticed.

There are innumerable wordier ways to say the same thing, so at least "gotcha" has the advantage of brevity. Only two syllables. Compared to higher-syllable classics such as-- "ya got dat right", "10-4 good buddy", "kin say dat agin", "thats what she said", "you must be readin my mail".

Of course, even "gotcha" can't match the succinct brevity of "HUH?".

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like an abbreviation of "I got you", which is an affirmative response. Having been in the military that was a pretty common response to things. I'm sure I use it all the time. Doesn't at all seem weird to me.
Guest Bonedaddy

Amazin' how things start like that. Once upon a time, I was goin' to Petit Jean Vo-Tech in Morrilton, AR for printing. On break, there was this one fella who had a guitar. He'd play some Zep and a lot of REO Speedwagon. Everyone loved REO.....'cept me. I asked him if he knew any Hendrix and looked at me like "Who the hell is that?". :shrug:  No one 'round there had heard of any Hendrix, 'cept one guy who had hear All Along the Watch Tower on the radio, once, maybe. So I borrowed dude's geetar and whooped some Purple Haze and Foxy Lady on'm. It wasn't long before everyone was gettin' into Hendrix and I even started hearin' it on the radio a bunch more. I feel I started somethin' good up in them hills. :rock:

Guest Cazador

I read your story and I will say that "Gotcha" is not used around here, at least I have not heard it. There is one thing that is used a lot of in your story though. I will assume you have been married for some time and probably missed it. The line "Well fine then, I wont ever do ______ again."  That one must be handed down from Eve to her daughters.

Didn't mean to hi jack but we could start a thread with that. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Seems like an abbreviation of "I got you", which is an affirmative response. Having been in the military that was a pretty common response to things. I'm sure I use it all the time. Doesn't at all seem weird to me.

I get it... or got it. We use it a lot in my world. It means, you can stop explaining now, I understand.

Yep, I don't have any objection to the term. Am guessing it is a pretty old word, acceptable as a reply even many decades ago. It just seemed interesting to hear it so much lately, or it seems thataway anyway. Took the dawg to his annual vet visit today, and the vet people were doing "gotcha" as well.

Some terminology seems to have longer shelf life than others. Ferinstance, "Far out, man" has been a common staple since the 1960's, though it seems rather unlikely that "23 skidoo" or "bees knees" will ever make a comeback. And will "dammit" ever die? Not likely soon anyway.

I read your story and I will say that "Gotcha" is not used around here, at least I have not heard it. There is one thing that is used a lot of in your story though. I will assume you have been married for some time and probably missed it. The line "Well fine then, I wont ever do ______ again."  That one must be handed down from Eve to her daughters.

Didn't mean to hi jack but we could start a thread with that. 

Oh yeah, wife is a sweetie but men have to use good judgement of what to discuss with women, and how to discuss it. Men have trouble learning tact, but maybe one of these days I'll get it figgered out. :) The lucky thing about being married a long time is that after awhile both partners don't listen very closely, and tend to hear, "blah blah blah". So with luck, many tactless comments are never noticed.

Edited by Lester Weevils