Feedback on Upcoming Permit Class

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

I am going to take the concealed carry class soon. I have a few questions:

1. WHat can I expect as far as class/range qualification

2. Whats the process before/after the class like

3. Should I go ahead and get a Walther P22 to qual with, and then keep/sell

4. What can keep you from getting approved to carry?

5. Is it true that TN is a carry, but not concealed carry state? I have been told that you can carry, and it does not have to be concealed. I personnaly wouldnt do it for the simple reason that I feel some law enforcement officers have the jumpiness of a poker player with poket aces among other reasons.

Thanks everyone for feedback.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do the class which is the laws and then shoot (very easy to pass) and go to a driver lisence center to process the paperwork and they give you a list of where you can go to get fingerprinted.

It is called a Handgun Carry Permit not just concealed carry permit.

My class cost $50 then $115 for the DOS check and fingerprints.

1. WHat can I expect as far as class/range qualification

It's easy. My 9 year old daughter could pass.

2. Whats the process before/after the class like

Before: Make sure you have a gun that you're comfortable with. Make sure you have the required amount of ammo for the class. A 100 round box should do the trick. Be prepared for a fairly boring 8 hours.

After: Take your certificate to the local DMV/DL office with $115 in hand. Go get fingerprinted. Wait by the mailbox for the next 3 months.

3. Should I go ahead and get a Walther P22 to qual with, and then keep/sell

I would not suggest using a .22 for the course. You'll look like a panzy to the girl whos next to you with a .45 in her hands. A carry type caliber is your best bet.

4. What can keep you from getting approved to carry?

A whole list of things. I'm too lazy to find and paste the links.

5. Is it true that TN is a carry, but not concealed carry state? I have been told that you can carry, and it does not have to be concealed.

You can open carry or conceal carry in Tennessee with you HCP.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Here's some helpful info.

Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

• Effective July 1, 2005, all handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.
  • Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:
    1. Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
    2. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

[*]Applicants are required to be a resident of the State of Tennessee;

[*]Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;

[*]Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year;

[*]Applicants shall not currently be under indictment or information for any criminal offense punishable by a term exceeding one (1) year;

[*]Shall not be currently the subject of any order of protection;

[*]Shall not be a fugitive from justice;

[*]Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

[*]The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.

[*]Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in Title 33, Chapter 6, Part 5, because of mental illness;

[*]Shall not be an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

[*]Shall not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions (dishonorable discharge, bad conduct discharge or other than honorable discharge Chapter 1340-2-5-.02 (5);

[*]Having been a citizen of the United States, applicants shall not have renounced their citizenship;

[*]Shall not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in 18 U.S.C.A. 921 (33);

[*]Shall not be receiving social security disability benefits by reason of alcohol dependence, drug dependence or mental disability;

[*]Shall not have been convicted of the offense of stalking;

Requirements for Obtaining a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

Applicant shall submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved Handgun Safety Course within the past six (6) months. Call toll free 1-866-849-3548 to find out more information on handgun schools, locations and contact information.

Submit application at any full service Driver License Service Center location.

Applicant is required to present a photo ID to the department at the time of filing the application.

Pay $115 non-refundable application fee payable by cash, certified check, or money order.

When the application is processed at the driver service center, the applicant will be given instructions on being fingerprinted.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed.

FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest coldblackwind

1. the class is basically safety, don't point at anything you don't intend to shoot, treat every gun as if its loaded, that sort of thing. The range qualification is easy, dunno if they are all the same, but we shot 50 shots, 5 from like, 3 feet left handed, then 5 right handed, then we just kept backing up and firing so many shots, until we got to the end of the range.

2.Before they class they just checked to see what guns we had to qualify us with, and had us fill out some paperwork

3. I wouldn't buy a gun just for the class personally, use whatever you have. However, I disagree with the comment about not using a .22. If you aren't comfortable around guns yet, use a .22 by all means, you'll look like more of a dork if you shoot all over the place with a larger caliber, and get the look of terror on your face everytime you fire it. There was a guy in my class with a .357 snub nose, and I'm pretty sure he never hit centermass on the targets we were using, but my 9mm shot the center circle right out of the target, and my friend using a .22 had them all within the first two rings. Definitely use a reliable gun though. I had my glock 17, and my friend was using my mark II, and I had really poor ammo for both. I felt like an idiot with two really reliable guns, and both were jamming, 2-3 times in 5 rounds.

4. I think what can not get you approved is pretty close to the same things that make you fail a background check to purchase a firearm. If you can pass that, likely you'll be fine, the class is geared to help you pass it.

5. From what i've read on open carry, its legal, but its not reccomended, and you will likely be stopped and asked for your permit.

3. I wouldn't buy a gun just for the class personally, use whatever you have. However, I disagree with the comment about not using a .22. If you aren't comfortable around guns yet, use a .22 by all means, you'll look like more of a dork if you shoot all over the place with a larger caliber, and get the look of terror on your face everytime you fire it. There was a guy in my class with a .357 snub nose, and I'm pretty sure he never hit centermass on the targets we were using, but my 9mm shot the center circle right out of the target, and my friend using a .22 had them all within the first two rings. Definitely use a reliable gun though. I had my glock 17, and my friend was using my mark II, and I had really poor ammo for both. I felt like an idiot with two really reliable guns, and both were jamming, 2-3 times in 5 rounds.

What kind of ammo were you using...im no Glock fan but I know they usually eat about any kind of ammo fed to them.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
err
Guest coldblackwind

Really old surplus ammo, older than I realized at the time apparently. Half of them would just kind of pop. I used some in my berretta and about 1/3 of the time they wouldn't even eject, it would push the slide back just far enough to cock the hammer, then put the empty back in the tube.