Resturants that serve and carry in Alabama?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Looked on handgunlaw.us and couldn't find anything in the AL code. I have had an AL permit before, but can't remember what their rule was and I'm sure that has changed since then anyways. Going down there this weekend and don't want to get in trouble.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Pistol permits in Alabama are issued by each respective Sheriff.

Is it possible it varies by County ?

Got me... you're the LEO. ;):D

I just happened to remember the maps being posted before, so went to the site and dug it up.

Pistol permits in Alabama are issued by each respective Sheriff.

Is it possible it varies by County ?

Apparently it can vary by county. From Handgunlaw.us list of off limits places for AL.

Note:

Sheriffs in Alabama can and do put other restrictions on the permit holders they issue to. Do be aware of any of those restrictions that may be on your permit/license to carry. Carrying where alcohol is served or consuming alcohol while carrying is one I have seen on more than one Alabama Sheriffs web site that adds these restrictions. Government buildings are another restricted item they add. Most state City, County and State Government Buildings are off limits. Again do be aware of any restriction on your permit/license.

These restrictions if noted on the permit/license would be in effect in any other county in Alabama you would visit. When going out of state and carrying on an Alabama permit/license that Alabama honors you must go by the laws of the state you are in. Do be careful.

So it would seem there is no "State Law" against it, but each Sheriff can place that restriction on there if they choose to.

Not 100% sure how that would affect out of state permit holders in AL.

Guest 270win

If you have a license/permit honored by Alabama, then there is no law that can keep you from carrying in a restaurant or bar. The nice thing about Alabama is that you can carry pretty much anywhere, including college campuses on game day. If the law does not prohibit it, then it is legal. I also do not know of any law in Alabama that would keep you from having a drink at a bar or restaurant while carrying, as long as you are not intoxicated. Again, if not illegal, then one may do so.

Some of the sheriffs put stupid restrictions on AL concealed pistol licenses, but the restrictions mean nothing on out of staters with say a TN or NC permit as long as you are following AL STATE law.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Sounds right to me razorback.

Isn't AL still a "may" issue state as well?

You'd think they would raise it up to the state level and make it "shall" issue. :)

Or even just make it shall issue, leave it with the sheriffs, and remove their ability to tack on restrictions as they see fit. NC is a shall issue state, but permits are still handled by the respective country sheriff's departments. As I recall, it didn't take nearly as long to get my NC CHL as it did my TN HCP. Plus you turn in your app and get fingerprinted in the same place, instead of this deal of doing the app one place, then going somewhere else to get printed, and hoping it all ends up in the same place...

That map is pretty educational. Interesting to see just how few state restrict restaurant carry- I had just figured it was sort of the status quo, since both states I've lived in are like that.

EDIT: A little research indicates that AL is technically may-issue, but in practice it is basically shall-issue.

Guest ProguninTN
If you have a license/permit honored by Alabama, then there is no law that can keep you from carrying in a restaurant or bar. The nice thing about Alabama is that you can carry pretty much anywhere, including college campuses on game day. If the law does not prohibit it, then it is legal. I also do not know of any law in Alabama that would keep you from having a drink at a bar or restaurant while carrying, as long as you are not intoxicated. Again, if not illegal, then one may do so.

Some of the sheriffs put stupid restrictions on AL concealed pistol licenses, but the restrictions mean nothing on out of staters with say a TN or NC permit as long as you are following AL STATE law.

razorback is on the money. There is NO state law prohibiting carry in restaurants. What the Sheriffs are doing is bogus and needs to be challenged.