Anybody stock or Build Trigger Guards?

I'm trying to find either a factory trigger guard, or someone that can make me an aluminum trigger guard for a Savage Model 24 .30-30/20 Ga. combo gun. I know there are plastic replacements available, but I'd prefer a custom one made out of aluminum. The butt plate is a custom made trap door design ( holds rifle and shotgun rounds in the stock) made out of aluminum. a matching trigger guard would look good.

The original trigger guard is held in place by a screw from inside the receiver on the front and an external screw on the rear. I have an exact copy of this trigger guard, that I took off of one of my other guns. Any one up to the task... and if so, what would you build one of these for. CNC machine shops can do it in quick order... but, I can't afford their price! I'm tempted to tackle this myself... on my Dremel Jig Saw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to find either a factory trigger guard, or someone that can make me an aluminum trigger guard for a Savage Model 24 .30-30/20 Ga. combo gun. I know there are plastic replacements available, but I'd prefer a custom one made out of aluminum. The butt plate is a custom made trap door design ( holds rifle and shotgun rounds in the stock) made out of aluminum. a matching trigger guard would look good.

The original trigger guard is held in place by a screw from inside the receiver on the front and an external screw on the rear. I have an exact copy of this trigger guard, that I took off of one of my other guns. Any one up to the task... and if so, what would you build one of these for. CNC machine shops can do it in quick order... but, I can't afford their price! I'm tempted to tackle this myself... on my Dremel Jig Saw.

Maybe I should re-write this to read that I'm looking for a Savage Model 24 over/under combination gun trigger guard.

This and you can say "Look what I done"

• 1 month later...

Garufa & Graycrait, The ones Numrick and Amozon have are strips of metal bent into the shape of a trigger guard. The one that came off my Savage Model 24 appears to have been cast aluminum metal. I was just thinking someone that knows their way around a machine shop could probably knock one of these out from a thick aluminum bar stock in no time. I had a friend, that had a friend, with access to a CNC milling machine... but, he wanted $159 an hour!

The guy out at the Triune Saddle Shop, told me he once saw a man make one from the handle of a silver spoon. He said it looked beautiful, with the scroll work already on it. I'm trying to go back with the original style, and material. I've been hitting some gun shops that may have had some gunsmithing going on at one time.

Thanks for your replies... I'm still looking for one.

The bent metal piece will be stronger than a cast part and will also likely be stronger than one machined from billet.  A quick way to tell if the original part is steel or aluminum is to see if a magnet sticks.  That said, the idea of making one from an old spoon sounds pretty cool to me. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but i still haven't found a trigger guard, nor anyone that can make one for my Savage 24 .30-30/20Ga. combo gun. Someone made an aluminum butt plate...like the Savage 24C has...with the trap door for ammo storage in the butt-stock. It looks real good, so I'm trying to either go with an original, or match the aluminum trigger guard to the aluminum butt plate. Anybody know a smith that has an old drawer full of old trigger guards? Maybe I could find something there that works. Thanks for your help.