Invest in guns

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy the "right" guns being key....you need to be buying pretty high dollar offbeat stuff...obviously just buying a tupperware gun and keeping it NIB will not yield much of a return...though you do raise a good point. However another question you must ask yourself is if you cant get a better/faster return elsewhere with the same amount of money.

I dont know about "investing" in guns, too hard to crystal ball.

I do know that guns seem to hold their value (yes, some even go up) better than most things and are always pretty liquid, which is good when times get tough and you need money fast.

Unlike plasma TVs, golf clubs, baseball bats, computers, skis, etc. guns dont really depreciate because the new '09s are out.

They are not rendered obsolete very quickly and even when they are, their values continue to hold or increase.

Buying guns as an investment is a horrible idea. Very few guns significantly increase in value. Even if they do, it almost always takes many many years.

How many guns can you find today that were significantly cheaper when they were new? Yes, there are some, but in the grand scheme of things, it's fairly rare.

You can get a much greater return on your money by using any number of available investment options.

Class III fully transferables might be the best investment...

That would have been a great idea if you had the ability to look into the future prior to 1986. Now that the ban has made most full-autos skyrocket above $10,000-$20,000+, it's not such a great investment anymore. Yes, as long as there is a ban on full-autos, the price will slowly increase, but I believe the major investment potential has already passed.

that and things that you think might get "banned" in the future.

Now, that may be worth thinking about. It may be worth buying some of the "evil weapons" in the near future. There is a fair chance some of these may be banned by our wonderful elected officials. Then you'll see the type of return you're looking for.

As far as investment, the market has better returns over equivalent periods. Trying to guess which one going to be that rare gem is tough and not near the science the market is. There are just too many factors that depend on foreign production. I would never want to speculate on Russian or former Soviet Block countries production! They couldn't even get it right under communist run factories!

Guest superslacker

I HOPE TO GOD MY WIFE DOES NOT SEE THIS THREAD!! I've been giving her the "investment" pitch since we've been married. I do agree, though, that unless you have some sort of inside knowledge about a gun that's going to be outlawed/discontinued then it's like a car, it loses value as soon as you drive it off the lot, for the most part.

I HOPE TO GOD MY WIFE DOES NOT SEE THIS THREAD!! I've been giving her the "investment" pitch since we've been married. I do agree, though, that unless you have some sort of inside knowledge about a gun that's going to be outlawed/discontinued then it's like a car, it loses value as soon as you drive it off the lot, for the most part.

Just like a car thats why you buy used...unless you absolutely dont plan on ever shooting it.

Guest nj.piney

ive got an action arms uzi semi i bought 2 years ago for $750 . gunbroker starts at $1100 . to $1500

who knows what the price will be 1 month before the election ?

anything that would be banned will go up.

other than that though i wouldnt get it for a high return on my investment, if any at all, but its a hell of a lot better than collecting stamps!

Yes, unless they make it to where you can't sell them. The new wording includes that. Value would definitely go up, but it would mean nothing. Then and if it is lifted they would spike for awhile then normalize out because the number on the market never changed. That's why it is so tricky. You may have a gold mine or a bunch of less than scrap metal.;)

the new wording just says that ones that are manufactured before the ban effectiveness date are "grandfathered in" and that you can sell and trade them. at least that is how i understood it. and that you arent going to be able to buy ones manufactured after the ban took effect

High yield CDs, bonds, maybe not stocks or mutual funds the way the economy is, but you get the idea. Other investments yield more, quicker. Foreign currency is good right now. I've got a nice size pile of Euros.

Investing in guns is like buying rental property. You have got to get a good bargain on the way in. For example, if you get a nice almost new GLOCK 19 for $375. Hang on to it. It will never be worth less. It may double in price in five years. But the key to guns as an investment is getting a good deal at the beginning.

Investing in guns is like buying rental property. You have got to get a good bargain on the way in. For example, if you get a nice almost new GLOCK 19 for $375. Hang on to it. It will never be worth less. It may double in price in five years. But the key to guns as an investment is getting a good deal at the beginning.

But in that respect - it's no different than getting a "deal" on anything - and IMHO real estate is still (generally) going to get you a far better return than any firearm the average person is going to pick up.

But hey - if your wife takes the bait, I'm not gonna tell you to stop fishing with it :koolaid: