new grading system 50 is the new zero?

vontar

I see this on pretty much every test or quiz I give from 1 or 2 students. But they don't dare get their phones out in my classroom.

Then keep giving out Zero's for students that don't turn in anything.   -Taxpayer

Based on this new grading system, why not take it one step further and eliminate grades altogether. Just give anyone a high school diploma, then at at age 22 a degree in dumb and a master in dumber and then a doctorate dumbest.

You can't fix stupid!

Then keep giving out Zero's for students that don't turn in anything.   -Taxpayer

I don't have a problem giving out zeros but I'm fighting an uphill battle in that regard. I had students turn in work from the 2nd week of school in April and I had no choice but to accept it. Turning in work late is a 'behavioral issue' and isn't a 'grade issue'.

Then keep giving out Zero's for students that don't turn in anything. -Taxpayer

I don't have a problem giving out zeros but I'm fighting an uphill battle in that regard. I had students turn in work from the 2nd week of school in April and I had no choice but to accept it. Turning in work late is a 'behavioral issue' and isn't a 'grade issue'.

who says you don't have a choice but to accept the late work? is that a call on the administration's part?

edit: don't wanna sound like a jerk, just wondering if you really have much of a choice in the matter Edited by npgunner

When I was in school, work was not accepted late unless there was a real acceptable excuse.

I have a suggestion.  Put a required by date on the top of each assignment with a deduction rate for every day past due.

2 points off for each day late or something.  15 days late, minus 30 points.  That is really 2 generous. 

They need to learn about the real world.  If I am late on a debt payment, I get charged interest.  Same concept. 

Edited by vontar

Ha, of course it's a behavioral issue. Doesn't change that something is due when it's due. Wow, how things have changed.
Guest nra37922

Needs to be three tracks in High School

Track One - College Prep.  With real standards and real courses.

Track Two - VoTec and learn a professional trade.  As college is NOT for everyone.

Track Three - Making license plates and metal furniture as one is never to young to learn their trade craft.

Needs to be three tracks in High School

Track One - College Prep.  With real standards and real courses.

Track Two - VoTec and learn a professional trade.  As college is NOT for everyone.

Track Three - Making license plates and metal furniture as one is never to young to learn their trade craft.

I believe that is why I didn't do well my first college semester.  I walked out of high school with good grades, high B average or low A.  I was totally unprepared for college.

I do agree there should be some more choices in High school, at least for those that have a clear plan on their goals of what they want to help prepare them better.  However it seems school is just government sponsored baby sitting.