new grading system 50 is the new zero?

vontar

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

When Metro Nashville Public Schools begin classes Thursday, its teachers will grade students differently.

One part of the change has raised some eyebrows at the high school level.

The lowest score given will now be a 50.  Students will not be given zeroes, 10s or anything below a 50.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/22980788/no-more-zeroes-for-metro-high-school-students

I tried to find the story from the other post and ran across this. 

Now I am officially an Old Man  Back in my Day sonny either passed or failed.    Now they get 50 percent with out trying? 

Who comes up with this crap.  Where is this flux of fecal matter discharge coming from?  This is pure manure.  

Edited by vontar
Guest 6.8 AR

Uhh guys, 50 is a failing grade.

But that 50 averages much higher than a zero would at the end of the grading period. Now, of course, if the

little moron has 50's all across the row, he still fails, I guess. :D

Ah, they're working on that, too, I'm sure.

My wife (4th grade teacher) informs me that a 0 is possible but not probable if the kid shows up and takes the test. The lowest she recalls is a 30.

I was thinking around there.
If you have a multiple choice test with 4 answers to each question; even if the kid is a complete moron, he had at least a 25% chance of getting each question right. So unless the kid is a completely unlucky moron he should get something higher than a 0.

But that 50 averages much higher than a zero would at the end of the grading period. Now, of course, if the

little moron has 50's all across the row, he still fails, I guess. :D

Ah, they're working on that, too, I'm sure.

That is what I was trying to point out.  I could have done it in a math formula but AR said it better.

I just talked with a member of the school board and figured out the idea behind this.

They obviously couldn't just GIVE these kids a 50, because that wouldn't be fair. But it's also unfair that some kids have 100s and some kids have below passing grades. So they're going to take points from the kids with 100s and give to the kids with less. They call it a "grade tax." This way, all the kids prosper and can get into good schools. It may lower the grades of those kids with 100s, but what do they need such high grades for?

Now, what are they going to do if they run out of points to redistribute and kids still aren't passing you ask?! And the answer is equally as genius. Knowing that plenty of kids have done well for several years and, for lack of a better description, "put 100s away for years," they're going to go back to those years and pull points from those previous years and give to kids now.

By raising everyone's grades in this manner, the class as a whole will prosper and less kids will be forced out of high school.
  • Like 6

atlas shrugged is now in our schools.

Been coming for a long time, my friend, It all started wit the pass/fail. Then to satisfactory/unsatisfactory.

Now we're getting closer and closer to the moronic ways the new-ager have made sports non-competitive. Just apply the same logic in the classroom. 

Can't have "Poor Johnny" feel less than equal  just because he can't read or write.

Edited by hipower
Guest ThePunisher

I just talked with a member of the school board and figured out the idea behind this. They obviously couldn't just GIVE these kids a 50, because that wouldn't be fair. But it's also unfair that some kids have 100s and some kids have below passing grades. So they're going to take points from the kids with 100s and give to the kids with less. They call it a "grade tax." This way, all the kids prosper and can get into good schools. It may lower the grades of those kids with 100s, but what do they need such high grades for? Now, what are they going to do if they run out of points to redistribute and kids still aren't passing you ask?! And the answer is equally as genius. Knowing that plenty of kids have done well for several years and, for lack of a better description, "put 100s away for years," they're going to go back to those years and pull points from those previous years and give to kids now. By raising everyone's grades in this manner, the class as a whole will prosper and less kids will be forced out of high school.

I guess wealth redistribution and grades redistribution go hand in hand. Next, you have to redistribute your family to these Libtards.
Guest Lester Weevils

I was thinking around there.
If you have a multiple choice test with 4 answers to each question; even if the kid is a complete moron, he had at least a 25% chance of getting each question right. So unless the kid is a completely unlucky moron he should get something higher than a 0.

Exactly.

Multiple choice tests typically offer at least one answer so absurd than any sentient creature would eliminate the answer as incorrect-- Regardless how ignorant or unprepared a student might be. Therefore, any idiot capable of reading and rudimentary logic ought to have a baseline score at least in the ballpark of 33.

But some folks have a talent for multiple-choice tests. Part of the score has to do with aptitude for that kind of test. Long ago I could ace multiple choice tests knowing next to nothing of the subject matter. Was a very lazy student most of the time. Such tests were not a measure of what I'd actually learned in the course or how much I'd studied (often no study at all).

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Keal G Seo

What this means is doing nothing all year gets you a 50. So instead of having to do at 70% of what you are supposed to you only have to do 20% all year to get up to a 70. This doesn't even take into anything that accounts for more than normal assignments, like finals that usually account for 15-50% of your grade. Rewarding laziness if you ask me.

As for realism of implementing this is, as other poster stated, if it is multiple choice then you have a 25% chance on a guess. So if you just go down the line and answer, say, "B" on every question you end up with a 75...passing. So kids today don't have to learn they just have to put forth a minimal effort. As bad as participation trophies if you ask me.

All this is going to do is lessen the value of a HS diploma even more, it's already virtually worthless without a college degree to go with it. For those of you with a HS diploma, when is the last time you were asked to see it by an employer? I have only been asked once out of eight jobs.

50+50+100+100/4=75     Passing

0+0+100+100/4=50         Failing

It is all about the being able to pass a child that does not deserve to be passed. No Child Left Behind has ensured our children are being dumbed down. The teachers now need to ensure more children pass so they are not punished.

I went to a private school, and while there are times when I wonder if it was worth the money, one thing stands out in my mind.  We did not have a D grade. 
 We had A, B, C, F.   A >= 90.  B was >= 80,  C was >= 70.  If you were below 70% you failed.   Fail too much and they would try to help you --- you had to come in on weekends to work with the teachers & they would go out of the way to figure out what the problem was, even give you extra chances to up your grade by doing extra work or taking an extra test etc if you were trying.  

The actual material learned was more or less (Not counting AP classes) the same as anywhere else.  The above was what made the difference really.

And that is how it SHOULD be everywhere -- if you can't get 3/4 of the material, you do not deserve credit for knowing that material.  

Guest drv2fst

A High School principal that I am friends with said that there are a lot of kids now that won't even bother to write their name on a test paper.  They just sit there and talk or text.

I guess it won't be long before testing is outlawed.  It is clearly discriminating against students who are not capable of passing or who choose not to make the effort.

A High School principal that I am friends with said that there are a lot of kids now that won't even bother to write their name on a test paper.  They just sit there and talk or text.

I see this on pretty much every test or quiz I give from 1 or 2 students. But they don't dare get their phones out in my classroom.

• Like 1