How do you hide gun/or accy purchases from the wife or GF?

When wife sees it and ask I jest say I've had this one for awhile , didn't say how long . You can also take cash out with your debit card at the bank little by little and stash it till ya have enough to buy what you want , wife's can't tell the diff on that one because thay do it all the time . But I really don't have that problem , I jest show it to her and say look what I got , she looks at it and says what kind is that .

its simple, just pay cash and there is no tracer on it except for, in the case of a gun, the background paperwork which is not public domain so she cannot find that online or anything. 

However unless it is a gift for her, hiding things is probably a bad sign in the case of a wife.  GF, not so much, but couples that hide things from each other (again, not gifts) are possibly in need of a good sit down & talk.

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

I tell her I bought her another gun. :D

I understand the feeling of thinking you may need to hide a purchase of a gun from your spouse, but are you

secure enough in your marriage to go around lying because of a dumb attitude about one thing like that? It

seems a contradiction.  If your wanting to hide a transaction like that, don't be surprised when she does the

same thing to you, like something much worse than a gun purchase. Use your imagination with that.

If I had to hide a gun purchase from a wife or girlfriend, I'd figure I'm with the wrong woman. But then, I don't question her purchases either and neither of us spend money we can't afford. I'm lucky i suppose, but if I want something I tell her and she willl always figure out a way to buy it.
  • Like 5

I'm another "I don't."  I don't spend that kind of $ without talking to her first and she doesn't do so without talking to me about it.  If I really want one she'd probably tell me to buy it, but then she always complains that I won't spend money on myself.  This is the woman who kicked me out of the house and told me not to come back without a ridiculously large TV.  :D

• Like 3

:popcorn:  this is good,on a side note, i dont hide my guns or accy's,she doesn't know what they are anyhow and doesn't care,BUT its just funny hearing some guys talk about how their other halves have a meltdown over purchases,and the retaliation battles that ensue...

I would not suggest lying to your wife or girlfriend about a gun purchase, or anything else…

However, I do believe in (and have tried to educate my sons about) the practice of ‘common-sense notification’.  To avoid problems, when we get home from the gun show we do not walk into the house and immediately/loudly ask Pretty Wife if she wants to see the new ‘whatever’ that we spent $$$ for today, no matter how proud or excited we are about the purchase. 

Instead, we patiently wait for an appropriate moment when Pretty Wife is calm and cheerful, making sure that money/finances have not been mentioned in a negative context for at least a week or so.  Then, as Pretty Wife’s feet are being massaged and she has a cool drink in her hand, we let her know that we have something new that we’re sure she will enjoy next time we go to the range, especially with her being such an accomplished marksperson and firearms aficionado.  We also remind Pretty Wife that she is more important to us than anything else in the world, and defending her is worth any sacrifice or monetary expense.

This works most of the time.  When it doesn’t, we just have to man-up and take our lumps.

• Like 1

How do you hide your purchases from the ol lady?

pls dont answer with: I run it straight to my safe and lock the door! LOL

All other input welcome w open arms! ( no pun intended)

I almost always buy her one too, she has no idea how much they cost so if she gets something she wants, I can sneak one in without question.. Have so many now when we go to the range and she asks about something, I just say it's been in the safe for a long time and she hasn't played with it yet.

There is some consideration given though, about once or twice a year I just want something new and she will usually say that one has to go for one to come in which is no big deal.

Guest nra37922

I don't.  A marriage isn't going to work out long term if one is concerned about buying stuff and then having to hide it from your life partner.

After buying three or four... she doens't notice any of the new ones. They're either the black one or the shiny one. Other than that... she doesn't really care. She know how to open the safe, although I don't think she ever does... and everything I own is in there, so even though I don't tell her everything, I aint hiding nothing. :pleased:

I don't "hide" them from the wife, but sometimes I'll strategically break the news. Timing is everything. Sometimes she'll see it as soon as I get it, other times it may wait a week (or two) :)

Cash is the way to go though. I just build up some "gun money" and wait for what I want.
I can't stand to keep anything from her though, so I don't.

posted from my phone
Edited by Batman

Another in the "I don't" camp.

We budget ourselves mad-money each month as part of our household budget. We don't question what the other spends their mad money on. If I haven't saved enough in my own mad money fund to pay for it, I don't buy it.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

All I can say is "If something happens to me would someone please contact my wife and tell her how much my guns are worth?"

Just kidding, saw that on a T-Shirt

I dont either, the only explanations I ever have to give are answers to "Why do you needs two, three, four...of the same xxxxxxxx?

She understands