K98 Stock Issue

I've got a fairly beat up Russian-capture K98 I picked up not too long ago - literally the only nice thing about the rifle is the bore; everything else is pretty well roughed up, electro-pencilled, etc.  The finish on the stock is flaking off, and everytime I shoot or otherwise handle the rifle, I get little flakes of the finish stuck to my hands, cheek, clothes, etc.  Are there any options for dealing with this other than refinishing the stock?  I'd prefer to leave it original*, but this is really annoying.  The flaking (shown in the picture below) involves the shiny coating coming off the wood and sticking to everything it contacts.  Any suggestions?  What is the coating on the stock?  Thanks for your input.  For reference, this is a 1936 built by Paul Mauser & Sons in one of their factories.  The Reds did a number on it.  Parts of the action appear to have been painted black, not sure if that was originally done or just more fine Russian craftmanship.

*The other option, of course, would be to salvage the action and clean things up, put it in a new stock, drill and tap, etc., e.g. a full-on sporterization.  With the condition of the rifle as is, I don't see too much point in halfway measures.

null_zps9f181e52.jpg

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_0249-1.jpg.html]IMG_0249-1.jpg[/URL]

I say make something you can use out of it. It isn't what you'd call a collector's piece anyway.                    

• Like 1

The finish on the stock is shellac and did not come out of German hands that way.  The Russians put it on. 

There is no way to save what's left so you might as well strip it.  Denatured alcohol will quickly dissovle the shellac then you can wipe it off (denatured alcohol is also what you use to make shellac from flakes). After that you could try a traditional finish like linseed, tung, BLO or whatever makes you happy. 

Edited by Garufa

IMG_0249-1.jpg

I say make something you can use out of it. It isn't what you'd call a collector's piece anyway.                    

Makes me cringe...

Guest tangojuliet

BOX O TRUTH...refinishing stock using EasyOff oven cleaner.  Works great and doesn't 'sand' the edges

THE GREAT SAGE BAJABUC SPEAKS THE TRUTH !!! all bow to the great sage  bajabuc  :bowrofl: