The third one of these I've done this way. Replacing hammer springs on my GP100s.

RptRrpq.jpg

Almost there! Ok now I can pull out the paper clip. That went good! Now just to back off the vise while holding the spring.

Sprooooing!

TBVseCL.jpg

Well, it can't have went far. It must be in all of this cleaning stuff and boxes..

20 minutes later

Where the heck is it!?

"Meanwhile on the space station"
Hey guys, come look! It's a Ruger GP100 mainspring seat!
OXJn4xq.jpg

But seriously, it was in the bottom of that trash can in a pool of tomato sauce. Yay!

Edited by onemancoyote
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there done that got the shirt. The launching spring I mean, not space.

One thing I've found is that it really does help to use the brass pin that Ruger gives you. It slides out a lot easier since it doesn't kink up like a paper clip. If you've lost or never got the brass pin use a hardened nail of similar size.
I've got the brass pin, but the new gp100 doesn't have a place in the grip to store it. I didn't feel like digging into the safe for the box to retrieve the pin, hence the paper clip. The paper clip was gone and out of the picture when the plate fired off anyways. Slip of the hand.

But I dig what your saying. It would of been easier with the pin. Edited by onemancoyote
Ah, gotcha. For me the issue was entirely pin related. I put a paper clip in to hold the plate and when it bent had to hold the plate in by hand to get it out. Well you know how strong the spring is and how small the plate is. I got the clip out and wham off comes the plate, right out of my hands. Luckily my apartment was pretty bare so even though I managed to lose the plate and the screw, it didn't take too long to find them.
Guest Lester Weevils

I hate it when that happens.

It may be proof of some amount of sentience in small parts. Small parts hardly ever fall right at one's feet where they are easily found. If given the slightest opportunity they will do their best to roll under the heaviest, most-difficult-to-move object in the room. Or find a seam in the flooring to hide in, or whatever. I get my wife to use her eagle eyes to find em. Sometime they will hide right where I'm looking and I don't see em.

There was an amusing SF short story about the secret of practical teleportation finally invented, after it was discovered that socks are not actually lost in dryers-- The missing socks appear in someone else's dryer, simultaneously teleporting someone else's sock into your dryer.