So I took the easy way first...

Guest bill38506

Guest bill38506

...and got my Virginia non-resident permit. So can anyone tell me, since I am a resident of Tennessee will I be able to legally carry in my home state on my VA/non-res permit? I am going to get my TN permit but I was wondering if the VA will do in the interim.

Thanks all!

Bill

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bill38506

Longer than 6 months. I found an older thread on here that pretty much answered my question. Looks like I can carry out of state on the VA non-res but not here at home. Makes sense I guess. Now I just need to schedule the 8 hour class I was trying to avoid :-/

Thanks for the reply!

Bill

How much you want to bet on how many TN LEO's would know that you can't carry on another state's permit if you are a resident? I am not saying you should try, but I bet none that you would run into would even know?

Well I wouldn't chance it. Especially carrying a firearm. My wife was pulled over in Clarksville a long while back. She had an out of state license but had been living here for a while. I was in the military and she was a dependent, so she was not required to obtain a resident drivers license. This did not stop the cop from threatening her and giving her a hard time. I suppose if that situation involved a handgun she'd be getting arrested. Kinda dangerous to roll the dice on what some cops do or don't know.

How much you want to bet on how many TN LEO's would know that you can't carry on another state's permit if you are a resident? I am not saying you should try, but I bet none that you would run into would even know?

I'm not sure I would bet. If you break it down to the part the LEO has to understand, it's just like a driver's license. I would bet, though, that a percentage would cut you some slack with the out-of-state permit if you did a convincing job of playing dumb. My luck doesn't go that way :). Best head toward those hoops and start jumpin'.

Guest bill38506
I'm definitely not the luckiest person in the world either. Think I'll play by the rules on this one. I would feel comfortable using it in other honoring states though.

Any Cookevillians recommend a good instructor in Overton or Putnamm county?

Thanks again for the replies. This is a great forum!
Bill

It's typically 4 hrs in class, 4 hrs of range time so it goes by faster than you might think.

Yeah, and my instructor interpreted it as '4 hours for the entire class to get through range time'.  Being we had about four times as many students as we had lanes in the range where I had my class, that meant going in groups.  The folks in the first group obviously got done long before the folks in the last group.