What to do , What to do.. (training)

I am currently shooting at the range and also practicing dry firing my Glock 19. I have 3 options and or questions I would like to ask opinion on.

1. Should I continue to do what I do to practice?

With this question, I will say i plan to take some courses in the future to learn more skills.

2. Get the AA .22 conversion for cheaper practice?

Used as a way of maintaining comfort with controls of my carry weapon and allow for less money to be spent at the range.

3. Get a Glock 19 airsoft to practice?

Cheap practice in the backyard.

Please provide you opinions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a G19 but do have a G23 and G27. I have the Advantage Arms Conversion Kit for my G23. It gives the same grip and trigger pull as the 40 cal round and is a lot less expensive to shoot. It does make the G23 a lot lighter in weight. You can use the same holster for drawing/reholstering practice and mag change out although the 22lr mags do not drop free when empty.

As for practicing, if it is showing some improvement in your skills then keep it up.

Go with what seems right to you.

Eric, welcome to TGO.

I am currently shooting at the range and also practicing dry firing my Glock 19. I have 3 options and or questions I would like to ask opinion on.

With this question, I will say i plan to take some courses in the future to learn more skills.

First, take a course or two from a qualified instructor. Make sure you've got the fundamentals down, then, yes ! by all means continue your range practice and your dry drills. Get some training first, otherwise you may just be practicing bad habits.

Used as a way of maintaining comfort with controls of my carry weapon and allow for less money to be spent at the range.

I think this is a good idea, especially if you are relatively new to shooting, which is what I gather. The conversion kit will allow you to practice your marksmanship fundamentals at a much lower cost. Don't totally neglect the 9mm ammo though. You don't want to go exclusively .22 where you forget about the recoil and the report of the 9mm. I'd suggest maybe 1 round of 9mm for every 5 rounds of .22 you shoot.

Airsoft's main benefit is ForceOnForce drills. IMO, it won't help you much, if any, on basic marksmanship drills. For manipulation practice, and manual of arms stuff, you can accomplish the same thing with an UNLOADED gun. I say take the money you were going to spend on Airsoft, and put it toward a class or a box of ammo.

Just my :bowrofl:. Hope this helps. If you're anywhere near Murfreesboro, send me a PM.

Guest Mugster

Nice pictures, btw.

On the range and dry firing, sure, why not? Its fun and you can build some skill. You could throw in drawing with your dry firing practice.

The .22 thing is a good idea, if it works. Some of those .22 kits are real headaches. Or you could pick up a dedicated .22 pistol.

I'm sure about 14,655 guys will be happy to sell you training. Good luck with that.

Here's a good book to start out with, nothing fancy and its been around awhile...a classic:

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/0873644972

• 3 months later...
Guest jackdog

There is also good free training from fellow shooters you meet at the range. I have nothing against taking classes to further your ability, but if money is tight you can do a lot on your own. I think everyone should invest a good deal of time in point shooting. I practice 3 to 5 times a week and not just standing either. try learning to draw and shoot from the ground on your side or back. shoot from behind cover and learn to shoot while moving.

I had a long post then I deleted it by mistake so I'll try it again!

I am a novice so my two cents may be worth that...or less.

Training is a must. If you own a gun you have to know how to use it.

After I got my HCP and Glock 26 I went to the range and killed some paper and thought "I'm not too bad". After I took an advanced hand gun class I thought, "I dont know sh*t".

Shooting elbow over holster spooked me at first because I never shot that way. I carry for personal protection and my training is geared that way.

Practicing may not be such a good thing. A guy on this forum has a signature that says, "Practice does not make perfect, it make permanent". Never a more true statement IMHO.

Getting advice from others at the range my not be the best thing either...who knows if they are doing correctly?

I have been to 3 classes and am going to Critical Incident Strategies in the spring.

Before I get off my soapbox I'll just say get formal training and keep getting it regularly.

Just my two cents...I will now disappear