Been offered a trade. Need some assistance on value. EDITED: With Corrections

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Seller replied this morning to a message with some details and a correction. Now I know why I could find nothing on the 240AI. One addition at bottom of original post.

I have a gun on gunbroker at a BIN at $750. Would rather have the cash, but someone made me a trade offer for a 700 Remington (Did not yet state which model). I have owned a 700BDL in .308, no others. Right now the only bolt guns I have are Mosins and plan on doing some deer hunting this season, and may be interested. However, I have no clue on the details or value of this gun. Googled some of this stuff and can only find a few things. The guy has a xxxx.edu email addresss and I know he is not a phony. But looking, if what I see is correct, this would be a worthwhile trade even if I traded and put it up for sale. But first I would appreciate it if someone would school me on this, because I may be looking at the wrong thing.

700 Remington

Trued at HS Precision

HS Precision Stock (The cheapest stock I see on their website is $400

HS Precision Sporter Contoured Barrel in (Originally said 240AI) 280AI  (I dont even see any barrels on their website)

Set of ChD4 dies in 240AI

Couple of questions.

I have only hunted with several different calibers, 30-30 win, 30-06, 6.5 Carcano and .308. In fact I had never heard of .240. Doing a searches for 240AI came up with a single hit on .240 Remington AI, and that only addressed improvements with the Ackley Improved rounds. Every other AI link links only to 280AI and every 240 search leads to .240 Weatherby Magnum.

So I have no idea what I am looking at here. From the gun magazines, .240 Weatherby Magnum is a great huntin round, but nothing about .240AI.

Like I said, blind as a bat when it comes to this gun. Is it worth it? Not saying I am going to do it, but it is a consideration.

The gun is a 280AI, not a 240AI. Response to one question this is what HS Precision did.

Rebarrel Service includes Accurizing the Action, Installing, Chambering and Crowning the Barrel,
Teflon coating Barrel and Receiver and Test Fire (Does not include Accuracy Guarantee)

Basically they square the action face and threads. Lap the bolt lugs for full contact. It is a bdl action with standard remington bottom metal. They also installed one of their stocks and skim bed it for a perfect fit.

Edited by TankerHC
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TankerHC

I've never heard of that caliber either. I would send him a email and ask a lot of questions about the rifle, and maybe he will answer your questions. I hope you can find out what you want. Let us know if you do.

There are tons of articles on the Ackley Improved rounds. And lots of posts. To use AI, some say you have to reload, but how about the gun itself?

"you can fire standard 280 rounds in one that is how you fireform brass.Same ballistics as a 7mm rem mag with less powder and no belt on the case. "the most improved of all the ackleys ever developed"

"good to go up to 180 gr bullets. You can push 3000 fps with 168 gr bullets. Best all around cartridge in my opinion in a non magnum cartridge - less recoil, great bullet selection, and very adequate performance/power."

Nosler and Federal both make 280AI factory ammunition.

Several gun mag writers state that the 280AI outperforms the 7MM Remington Magnmum while others state that it is about equal, with a lot less recoil.

And then there are people like this fella who is crazy in love with the round

"The 280AI is a kick-a__ cartridge. It's got it all and remains friendly and them is good things.

You tread fairly close to 7mmRemmag performance and keep an extry poke in the belly. Neither earth shattering,but neither a step backwards either.

It would take some doing to find someone that loves the 7mmRemmag more than I. It is fabulous when fed properly and it has always rewarded me for those efforts. Soooo,I can't/won't cuss it,as it is too good across the board and has done me right too many times.

The 280AI shares those attributes,but does it with less powder and recoil and one could argue that it is the Perfect Seven.

I think it is a wickedly wonderful round,that is a Giant Killer and in typical 7mm fashion it just begs to be superbly accurate.

With a properly headspaced 280AI chamber,one can certainly utilize Factory 280 fodder to yield Improved hulls,with every yank of the trigger. There are folks that offer formed cases,as you mention,but I'd prefer to form my own brass in my own rifle,but that's me.

A pard punched his S/S 700 Mountain Rifle in 280,out to 280AI and tucked it in a black/grey swirled McMillan Mountain Rifle patterned stock of light fill and it is a damned fabulous rifle,that brings it all to the table.

Now to stir the pot,you can mimic that performance ala 7SAUM or eclipse it with a 7WSM. My S/S Model Seven based 7SAUM is certainly a slice of heaven and I haven't a bitch one in it's regard.

Hard not to like .284" projectiles,that are launched from hulls with those capacitiesy(7SAUM-7mmRemMag). Any of the lot in an accurate rifle would tickle me and would be a grand choice for most everything.

I'm sure none of that helped you,but I'm sweet on 7's in general and the 280AI is high on the list......................"

Edited by TankerHC

Its probably a fair trade.  I did a quick search as if to buy a 700 in 280AI caliber and I think $700 is reasonable.   700 seems to be the "going rate" for a 700 in most calibers on gunbroker and other sites but the 280AI seems to be a less common offering and possibly worth slightly more.   Do your own research though .... see if you agree!  Try to find one for sale, or the next closest thing, and average a few prices.

If you *want* a high dollar deer rifle in an oddball caliber, the trade is probably legit and reasonable.   However I have to question dragging a pricy gun thru the woods etc and dealing with the less popular caliber.   IMHO if you want a deer rifle, get a $300 gun in a common caliber, and if/when it gets beat up some, you won't stress over it.

Edited by Jonnin