Walmart giving finger to DC city council

Heard about this on radio first of week. Walmart has 3 stores already in building and plans on building 3 more in Washington DC. All was rainbows and unicorn farts until the city council passed a living wage provision to where they would have to pay each employee 12.50 an hour.  Walmart has threatened to stop construction of the 3 stores and not begin the other 3 if they do not repeal the provision we shall see if they cave or hold to it.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/07/dc_city_council_bullies_walmart_to_enrich_unions.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/9/wal-mart-threatens-to-bail-on-some-dc-stores/

Edited by jcoosi
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

Been following this for a few weeks, its been pretty interesting. The interesting part is the total ignorance of the Democrats.

1800  jobs lost in D.C. But I also notice one comment Walmart made that they may probably be closing their business on New York Avenue too. They already employ 900 people in the area. The DC City Council did their own survey, 73% of the residents said they wanted Walmart. Guess that wasn't enough. Especially considering Walmart had already been taking applications and doing interviews. Wonder if those people who were going to work, but are now not going to work will; still vote for Crackhead Marian Barry (ward 7) who said "Walmart will not leave DC, they wont abandoned DC, they re just trying to stick us up". Or the Mayor who said "Walmart wont leave, we have come to the point where Walmart needs us, we dont need them". Sure, 6 stores in DC is going to put a huge dent in their 1 billion per day profits of this global company. When Walmart said that about those 900 other jobs those employees called it "Nothing but Walmart hate from the DC City Council".

Supposedly the Union that would be "trying to" represent these stores employees asked for this, to "fight" Walmart, With an 8.9% unemployment rate (at its lowest) an overall 16% throughout the Wards and 27% in two of their biggest Wards,the residents should be proud of the elected "leaders" they voted in. 

So I would only congratulate the local DC Politicians and the Unions. "Showed them, didnt ya". Walmart could close every store in the US and still remain profitable.It would take a huge chunk of profit, but wouldnt put them out of business, not by a longshot.  We are not their biggest producers of revenue. Its outside our borders. In the US Walmart has 4.669 stores. Outside the US they have 6,222 stores. in China alone they have 390 in just the last couple of years since opening there, and are now opening 5-10 new stores a month.

But those same people who will keep 1800 people unemployed, on the rolls or maxed out on welfare will still get re-elected. Cost the Virginia, Maryland and Pennesyvania meat and other suppliers profits and jobs, cost the utility companies revenue, cost jobs for the local day labor companies,they will get re-elected. They re-elected. Crackhead Barry and he is still a DC Politician.

Walmart cant build in NYC either.

Edited by TankerHC

Anyone who has read very many of my posts know that I have no love for Walmart.

That said, I hope Walmart sticks to their guns on this one...if DC wants to continue as a cesspool of the uneducated and unemployed I say let them; the voters who put these idiots in office are getting exactly what they deserve.

• Like 3
Guest Bonedaddy

When will DC learn? They are not the biggest power broker in the world. The Evil Empire is (Wally World). Don't much care for their domination tactics but considerin' who they're in a scrap with....I'll hafta root for them in this'n.

When will DC learn? They are not the biggest power broker in the world. The Evil Empire is (Wally World). Don't much care for their domination tactics but considerin' who they're in a scrap with....I'll hafta root for them in this'n.

Lol I'd have to agree with ya there.
Go Walmart ! The dc area is so crime riddled it will probably cost Walmart 12.50 per hour in shrinkage loss alone aka store theft. I worked in DC for longer than I cared to talk about. It's a pos and always will be. The only thing 12.50 will get is higher priced aggravation for Walmart which the other shoppers will pay for.
Oh fwiw,this isn't profiling this is my opinion based on real world experience. Don't believe me ask Wei tu low or sumting Wong for validation ....lol
  • Like 1

I am certain Walmart has more funds then the entire city budget of DC.

Walmart isn't broke like the government.

Besides, that is what I thought the National minimum wage law was for.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1
Guest ThePunisher
I'm sure Walmart has been shaken down by the likes of Jackson and Sharpton before, and just got tired of these race baiter shysters. DC needs Walmart more than Walmart needs DC; good for Walmart.
Guest TankerHC

Go Walmart ! The dc area is so crime riddled it will probably cost Walmart 12.50 per hour in shrinkage loss alone aka store theft. I worked in DC for longer than I cared to talk about. It's a pos and always will be. The only thing 12.50 will get is higher priced aggravation for Walmart which the other shoppers will pay for.
Oh fwiw,this isn't profiling this is my opinion based on real world experience. Don't believe me ask Wei tu low or sumting Wong for validation ....lol

Down in Jackson, MS at Metrocenter Mall, which is all but out of business. They had Sears until last year. Last year when Sears decided to close a bunch of stores the Jackson Sears was one of the first announced. The Jackson City Council tried to do something Political to force them to stay open, cant remember what it was, but whatever it was I remember it never had legs to begin with and was totally unsuccessful.

One thing the area is crime ridden. But that isnt why they left. Then people were saying you could tell they were going to leave years ago because they didnt put any money into fixing up the store. but that didnt have anything to do with it either. Wasnt until the Jackson politicians caused an uproar that Sears finally came out and said why they were one of the tops on the list. The reason: One million dollars per year in loss from theft.

Friend of mine was brought in from out of state to take over a Radio Shack manager position. As soon as he got there, they did the mandatory inventory and reconciliation. missing was $150,000 in product. The manager and employees were in on it. The employees would buy a product, keep it for a day, bring it back, and the manager would scan it back in, broke, defective, whatever. Refund the employee the money, and the employee would walk out with the money and the product and they would split it. $150,000 in six months. Believe it or not the product was primarily cell phones.

The friend of mine who was brought in was brought in because the store was unprofitable. There was even a rumor going around that Radio Shack was going to close that store. by the time he was there six months, the store was the most profitable in the region. And he didn't tell me that either, I heard his boss congratulate him and tell him that while I was standing right there.

Thieves cost us all money.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Emtdaddy1980
Walmart vs DC..........
I feel exactly the same way reading this as I did watching the deadliest warrior episode where they had the Nazis vs the Vietcong.
If any company on earth has the strength to tell the Feds to go suck eggs it's Walmart. Most people know they handle a lot of money but are more powerful than most realize.

How bad would it hurt the American economy if Walmart started major down sizing?

You do NOT tell Walmart what to do. Oh you can try but you just shoot yourself in the foot. The three branches of government don't have near as much power to destroy or build than corporate America.
The economy is in the toilet and companies across the country are downsizing, yet Walmart is building new stores and employing hundreds with every new one they open. Sounds to me like they get this capitalism thing. Hard for me to hate on them for selling Chinese junk when it is the government and unions who have destroyed domestic production. Walmart is gonna do what they have to do to stay in business and employ your friends and neighbors.
Guest TankerHC

The economy is in the toilet and companies across the country are downsizing, yet Walmart is building new stores and employing hundreds with every new one they open. Sounds to me like they get this capitalism thing. Hard for me to hate on them for selling Chinese junk when it is the government and unions who have destroyed domestic production. Walmart is gonna do what they have to do to stay in business and employ your friends and neighbors.

+1000

You cant sell anything American made, if it isnt made in America.

Go to Wally World and buy a gun, nearly every brand Made in America.

Go to Wally World and buy an American made TV, Computer, Tablet, drill, cooler, tools, ....cant do it....they arent made in America.

go buy some of that furniture they carry....Made in America......

I would be willing to bet if everything made overseas had a US counterpart, Walmart would be filled with US products.

Blame the Gov, they are taxing and regulating the business in this country right out of the country or out of business.

BTW, there was an article in WSJ last year that said no one beats Walmart....they will take any case, no matter how small to court. And win. And they will spend as much as possible to win it. Those cases you hear people won, the low pay for women case for example....they didnt win anything...no payout yet....Wally World says if one wins, they will be inundated with frivolous lawsuits.

Edited by TankerHC

BTW, there was an article in WSJ last year that said no one beats Walmart....they will take any case, no matter how small to court. And win. And they will spend as much as possible to win it. Those cases you hear people won, the low pay for women case for example....they didnt win anything...no payout yet....Wally World says if one wins, they will be inundated with frivolous lawsuits.

Nice, I didn't know that. Nothing more American than sticking up for yourself rather than backing down. Makes sense too. I bet there aren't many lawyers that will take a "slip and fall" case against Walmart if they know they will have to go to court.
Walmart report 443 BILLION in sales in 2012.

Yet we bail out turds like GM who don't have a clue.

I don't know how much of that was profit but ANYONE who sells more than the GDP of any African nation must know how to run a business. You know there's only about 40 nations in the world with a GDP higher than walmarts sales. Thats out of about 200 nations.

...and yet the Feds think they can tell these people how to run their business? Our government never ceases to amaze me with their narcissistic stupidity.

Nice, I didn't know that. Nothing more American than sticking up for yourself rather than backing down. Makes sense too. I bet there aren't many lawyers that will take a "slip and fall" case against Walmart if they know they will have to go to court.

Wal Mart has some of the best litigators in the world that are employed by Wal Mart.Had an atty friend who sued them over one particular accident where the settlement was well over 3 million.it took him nearly 3 years to get them to SETTLE.....note settle, not fight in court.Walmart also has the 2nd best loss prevention team in the world,Target is first best. Matter of fact Target stores has the largest private video enhancement lab in the US. Taking those 2 facts into consideration,Wal Mart would have to spend twice as much to build the stores,and focus efforts on getting the locals to prosecute their criminal actions.I think Id draw a 25 mile radius around dc and then consider building,i wouldnt do sh%$ inside of the beltway........

• Like 1

Walmart report 443 BILLION in sales in 2012.

Yet we bail out turds like GM who don't have a clue.

There is a key element at GM that Walmart doesn't have.... a giant, cancerous leech bent on destroying profits at the expense of the working man's employment. Same leechy cancer that killed Hostess.

I worked for Walmart for a few years when I was younger. It still makes me laugh how they addressed unions in their initial training program, which was about a week long. I'm not sure how much has changed, but it seemed the company took very positive measures to ensure the happiness of their employees. I don't buy too much into all the lawsuits regarding women in the work place because those were based strictly on stats, not hard facts.