Best eating establishments in Middle - East Tn area?

I'm suprised this place hasn't been mentioned before now.

In Knoxville area, Pigeon Forge.....Ye. Old Steakhouse

Supposed to be one of the top ten steakhouses in the southeast.

I've heard lot of folks rave about ye 'ol...   wife and I went there for anniversary a couple years ago and had prime rib.  Meh.  It wasn't bad, but sure not worth the cost.  I think the folks that rave about it have no idea how to grill a steak at home. 

Edited by peejman

Anybody got a good Italian spot in middle TN? Don't say Carrabas or Macaroni Grill, I said good.

Maggiano's on West End Ave. is INCREDIBLE.  Like Garufa, I'm an Altruda's fan, but Maggiano's is better.

J. Alexander's on West End is my other go-to spot when I visit Nashville.  

In Knoxville area

Tupelo Honey - Market Square. this place is really good. Has the best biscuits I have ever eaten, anywhere. It can be hard to get in if you have a party larger than 4. So go early and be prepared to wait a little bit.

+1 on that.  I believe there is one in Chattanooga, too (or maybe there's going to be one there).  

Despite the quirks that some people find annoying (tiny paper plates, flimsy plastic forks, shady bathrooms, spotty service, cash or check only), I'm a huge Big Ed's fan for pizza.  Their salty cheese is like crack.

For something different, but completely badass...Thida Thai in Smyrna. I'm a Thai food junkie and have tried it almost every restaurant in the area. This one is the bomb (94% thumbs up on UrbanSpoon).

Knoxville has a bunch of very good Thai places; my favorite probably being Taste of Thai.  Surin of Thailand, Lemongrass, and Little Bangkok are also very good (probably in that order).  When my parents visit, they always demand a trip to Taste of Thai.  

Edited by LawVol

Anybody got a good Italian spot in middle TN? Don't say Carrabas or Macaroni Grill, I said good.

Maggiano's on West End Ave. is INCREDIBLE. Like Garufa, I'm an Altruda's fan, but Maggiano's is better.

+1 Maggianos

Also for Italian you can try Mama Mia's on Trousdale Lane in Nashville. Hole in the wall kind of place. I've eaten there a couple times over the years has always been good. Disclaimer: I haven't been there in probably 2 years as is a bit out of the way for me.

Bricktop on West End (across from J Alexander's) is good and serves a mean deviled egg appetizer with brown sugar bacon.
Guest TankerHC

I'd like to throw a few in here, in the Chattanooga area. I know German food, I spent almost 12 years there and was married to one for 18. And I can tell you that in the States I have visited, and thats nearly all of them, I have yet to find a German Restaurant that sells real German food, until I went to the BrewHaus on Frazier Avenue in Chattanooga. And I can tell you that, that is the way they do it over there.

The Bratwurst is right. But regional, I dont know what they use, but it has a beer tint. You wont find that (Normally) in Southern Bavaria, but you will find it in the Rhon Valley. And thats just a few of a bunch of different ones they have there.

They serve JagerSchnitzel Zigeuner (sp). And it is perfect. About the only difference I saw was that in Germany you will see on menu's or served in homes, plain Schnitzel, Weiner Schintel Zigeuner Art or Ziguener Schintzel. Other than the names, they have it right.

In the South most of the peoples homes and restaurants I ate in served Blaukraut. They serve Saurkraut. And again, its perfect. Not Sour, tart. Something else you find predominately in the North.

The Brotchen is Brotchen, not American Hard Roll imposters. I don't know if they are baking it there or what, but it is right.

Their Spaetzle has to be home made. My ex and her mother made that stuff daily, boiled it and made it with a strainer. I don't know any other way you can do it and get it like they have it.

The Curry Wurst, again perfect. The Curry Sauce is not like you get in American German restaurants, again, the real deal.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this restaurant. I will say from my experience, its the only place in the Country that I have eaten in that has REAL German food. And if you have eaten in other American German Restaurants, you eat there and you will immediately be able to tell the difference just by looking at the food.

Its slightly on the expensive side. 5 of us one time cost nearly $200, I know for some that's not expensive, I have a cousin up north who will drop 500 on a meal like it isn't anything, not me.  Me and my nephew go there occasionally and it cost us around 60, not including tip. Wait staff excellent. Only thing I would say is that if you have a large group, have them bring out the food as its done, the first time we went we could tell whose was made first, because there's wasn't entirely hot. But you get a ton of food for the money, so if someone starts eating first it's unlikely they will be close to finished before the last persons comes out.

2. Anyone gets down this way towards Dayton there is a little Restaurant here called Ellie's (Ellie is the owner, and Eillie is their dog). In the last decade I have seen restaurants here come and go, some of them quick too. This dogs restaurant should be one that sticks around for a long time (Kinda like Dayton Coffee Shop has). The man (who actually owns it, not the dog), can cook. They serve Catfish (And not that Vietnamese Carp garbage), Chicken, Shrimp, burgers and some other stuff and it is all really really good. If you have ever eaten in a Cock of the Walk in MS, they serve right along those lines. Soon as you sit down someone walks over with a bowl of beans, cornbread, onion, and a pickle and takes your order and you can eat all the beans, onions and cornbread you want. I think for dinner its the same with the greens as well, but not for lunch.. I have not had to wait more than a minute to get served and the place is immaculate. And the way he has it set up it has that "Country Restaurant" feel. Its my and my wife's new favorite place in town to eat. The prices are really low, I mean REALLY low. Like you get a whole dinner of some things, and all the beans and cornbread you want for like 6 bucks.

3. There is a new BBQ Restaurant here in Dayton. It looks like a big barn, it used to be a title loan place on the left past Walmart. I'm not a big BBQ eater, but that might change, because from what I have had, its the best I have had. Again, not expensive at all and you get a lot of food for the money. Lot of different items on the menu. If there were anything at all I could say negative about the place, its strictly personal taste, I don't know what the stuff is on the loaded baked potato, kind of a green tint and a thick texture, but I don't like it. So, the worst I can say about the place is one guy (me) don't like one topping on one potato. I think their doing pretty good. And Ill tell you I am really picky about the way my food tastes and is prepared. I'm paying for it, I want it to be right. And like the other two up top, he has it right.

Best catfish -

Riverside Catfish House, 18039 Highway 41,  Â· (423) 821-9214 - between the THP Office and Hailtown, or Hell Town if you are local.

Best fried chicken -

Champy's Fried Chicken - 526 E Ml King Blvd Chattanooga

Best BBQ – 

Rib and Loin - 5435 Highway 153, Hixson Â· (423) 877-7675

Cherokee Slim

World Renowned Cowboy Shooter and Champion Eater