Best eating establishments in Middle - East Tn area?

Yes. I don't get by there often, but I remember the first time I ordered the loaded BBQ potato (or whatever it's called). That thing was the size of a football. The last time I was there, he was set up in a truck. I've heard he may have an actual building now.

Yeah, he WAS parked in front of the doctors office there, he's next door now but you'll see it as they have a GIGANTIC BBQ sign, plus the smoker is lil bit of a giveaway... :yuck:

Kilgore's Restaurant - Hwy 70 west side of Smithville, Great home cooking.  Personally, I can't get enough of the fried pork chops.

White Possum - West of the square on W. Walnut St. in Smithville, They have a flat iron steak marinated in moonshine that's almost tender enough to cut with the fork.

Sundance Restaurant - East of the square on Main St. in Smithville.  More good home cooking.  My wife would kill for the Jewish Brownies there.

Sunset Restaurant - Hwy 231 between I-40 and the square in Lebanon.  Old school home cooking.  Remember those restaurants that would hit you with the glass of ice water when you first sat down at the table?  Here is one of those.

• Like 1

Maffizo's - just had it, not bad. Crust was good..

Joey's House of Pizza - Real Authentic NY style pizza, real NY size slices

Jim's Bar-B-Que

If anything stay away from chain restaurants and find hole in wall places, they tend to have the best food. If you are ever in Spring Lake, NC, (I hope they are still there, last time I was there was in 95) there's this home cooked meal place that is crazy good.. Make you wanna slap your momma good.. 

Kilgore's Restaurant - Hwy 70 west side of Smithville, Great home cooking.  Personally, I can't get enough of the fried pork chops.

White Possum - West of the square on W. Walnut St. in Smithville, They have a flat iron steak marinated in moonshine that's almost tender enough to cut with the fork.

Sundance Restaurant - East of the square on Main St. in Smithville.  More good home cooking.  My wife would kill for the Jewish Brownies there.

Sunset Restaurant - Hwy 231 between I-40 and the square in Lebanon.  Old school home cooking.  Remember those restaurants that would hit you with the glass of ice water when you first sat down at the table?  Here is one of those.

That's Sunset Marina right?

Bro's Cajun Cuisine in Nashville is another good place. 

http://www.broscajuncuisine.com/

Joey's House of Pizza - Real Authentic NY style pizza, real NY size slices 

In the Nashville/Mid-TN Area these are 2 of my favorites too. 

For something different, but completely badass...Thida Thai in Smyrna. I'm a Thai food junkie and have tried it almost every restaurant in the area. This one is the bomb (94% thumbs up on UrbanSpoon).

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/47/1458574/restaurant/Nashville/Thida-Thai-Smyrna

Guest PapaB

Old Chicago Pizza in Murfreesboro has the best pizza I've tried in TN. I see they also have locations in Clarksville and Franklin (Cool Springs) but I haven't been to those yet.

Anybody got a good Italian spot in middle TN? Don't say Carrabas or Macaroni Grill, I said good.

Anybody got a good Italian spot in middle TN? Don't say Carrabas or Macaroni Grill, I said good.

If you are looking for something that has good sauce, I can provide you with a link on how to make you own sauce. It's actually a recipe for a lasagna that I've used that has not let me down.. Homemade beats restaurant every time.. 

In Maryville...

+1 to TC's Grill.  Best burger in town.

Pancho's Mexican.

Foothills Milling Co., pricey but excellent.

Full Service BBQ (no inside dining).

+1 to Sweet P's BBQ.

Smoky Mtn Brewery... good food, good beer.

Others nearby....

+1 to Irish Times in Knoxville.

Big Ed's Pizza in Oak Ridge.

Calhoun's at the Marina in Lenoir City. 

Restaurant Linderhof in Knoxville. 

The Tomato Head (not carry friendly, but the food is excellent).

Edited by peejman
In Knoxville area

Tupelo Honey - Market Square. this place is really good. Has the best biscuits I have ever eaten, anywhere. It can be hard to get in if you have a party larger than 4. So go early and be prepared to wait a little bit.

The Crown and Goose - in the old city. If you like English pubs, this is excellent. Great food

Sargent Pepperoni - Pizza. It's truly awesome! Located on Kingston Pike in east Bearden area.

Chandlers Deli - on magnolia east Knoxville. Great soul food. Some truly great fried chicken.

Lakeside Tavern - off Northshore Rd at Concord marina. Just great food.

Ruth's Chris - not cheap, but I do enjoy eating there.

In Knoxville area

Tupelo Honey - Market Square. this place is really good. Has the best biscuits I have ever eaten, anywhere. It can be hard to get in if you have a party larger than 4. So go early and be prepared to wait a little bit.

The Crown and Goose - in the old city. If you like English pubs, this is excellent. Great food

Sargent Pepperoni - Pizza. It's truly awesome! Located on Kingston Pike in east Bearden area.

Chandlers Deli - on magnolia east Knoxville. Great soul food. Some truly great fried chicken.

Lakeside Tavern - off Northshore Rd at Concord marina. Just great food.

Ruth's Chris - not cheap, but I do enjoy eating there.

Last couple times we ate at Sargent Pepperoni's, it had really went downhill. When they first opened, it was outstanding. I hope they have come back around.

Knoxville:

Chez Guevara - disregard the name, it used to be called La Paz.  West Knoxville tucked into the corner of a strip mall between Barnes & Noble & Toys R Us.  Killer "Mexican" food, great atmosphere, best spinach queso dip you'll ever have and the house margaritas are delicious and potent.

Altruda's - Little further west, Kingston Pike & N. Peters Rd.  Outstanding Italian.  Unlimited salad & garlic rolls with entree.  Great atmosphere

Stefano's Pizza - On Cumberland Ave next to UT campus.  Great deep-dish, whole-wheat crust if you like, pizza.  The food and place has not changed since I first stepped foot there in 1985 except they added a big-screen TV.

Edited by Garufa

Knoxville:

Altruda's - Little further west, Kingston Pike & N. Peters Rd. Outstanding Italian. Unlimited salad & garlic rolls with entree. Great atmosphere

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there... While the atmosphere was nice, the food was poor at best. Everything was drowning in oil and massively over seasoned.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by having had real Italian food in Italy. The American version is nothing like what I had there. Everything was very light and delicately seasoned. YMMV.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there... While the atmosphere was nice, the food was poor at best. Everything was drowning in oil and massively over seasoned.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by having had real Italian food in Italy. The American version is nothing like what I had there. Everything was very light and delicately seasoned. YMMV.

Well, you mentioned Calhoun's so I must disagree with your taste.   :P

Edited by Garufa

In Pigeon Forge:

The Pottery House Café. Never been disappointed here. The Gumbo with Jalapeno Cornbread Hoecakes are awesome.

http://www.oldmillsquare.com/cafe.htm

And across the street, owned by the same people:

The Old Mill can't be beat for southern style food. The Pot Roast and Chicken and Dumplings are what dreams are made of.

http://www.oldmillsquare.com/restaurant.htm

Well, if I counted right, there's 52 places to eat on the list I'm making. I'll keep adding them if people keep posting them.

I've added Marvins in Fayetteville  country cooking place with good chicken and catfish I heard about recently.  Went by there Sunday while riding but they were closed on vacation the sign said.  I was marking the location on my GPS and 3 cars drove up and asked were they closed within about 5 minutes. They all seemed disappointed. Must be a good place.

I also added the Riverside Catfish House on 41 hwy...that's a local place to Chattanooga.

Edited by Randall53

Well, you mentioned Calhoun's so I must disagree with your taste. :P

I like Calhoun's. it may not be the best BBQ, but they have lots of other good food.

I'm suprised this place hasn't been mentioned before now.

In Knoxville area, Pigeon Forge.....Ye. Old Steakhouse

Supposed to be one of the top ten steakhouses in the southeast.

Love that place. Maybe a little over hyped, but good none the less. Woodshed potatoes are almost better than the steak