Best eating establishments in Middle - East Tn area?

I'm wanting to start a list of really great places to eat in the Middle and East Tn areas.  I'm thinking East of I-65. Not fancy expensive type places really, but just a place you love to go when you're really wanting something to satisfy like no other place can type of good.  Maybe it's steak, seafood, great home cooking, best hamburger, best bar food, best catfish, best Bar-B-Que you've ever had type of places. Unique places would work too.  Just places you think of when your best bud, or favorite cousin comes to town. Ya know?

When this project is finished, I'll make a list with the names and addresses and maybe email them to anyone that wants in on the list.

Ready....Set....GOOOO!!!!  :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

OK.....I've already thought about this and edited to include the entire state.....Not fair to our great members in the Western part of our great state!!!

Edited by Randall53

In Knoxville, any of the copper cellar joints are good.  We really liked Chesapeake's, but unfortunately have yet to find anything worthwhile (even after more than a year) in Nashville that comes close to them.

In Knoxville, any of the copper cellar joints are good.  We really liked Chesapeake's, but unfortunately have yet to find anything worthwhile (even after more than a year) in Nashville that comes close to them.

I've eaten at 3 of those listed under Copper Cellar eatery's and I agree they are very good.  Thanks!

Captain Tom's BBQ in Oliver Springs is great bbq and has a good vibe to it. Also Golden Girls in Clinton has some amazing country food for decent prices.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I ride in that area at times, but have never been to either place.  Those kinds of places are often the best. I'll add them to the list. Thanks Spots.

You sir have spurred the response of a fatkid... WOOOOOO!!! :rock:  

Big E's BBQ(Rickman), it's off hwy111 behind the Dollar General, they have VERY cheap food but do NOT skimp on the portions, for roughly $5 you can get the BBQ nachos and that is enough for the average person for three meals or one for me. :yum:

The Dipsy Doodle(Cookeville), located on hwy 70 on the right if you're headed west towards Nashville. They've got conventional country food but their signature which stands out for me is their burgers, pretty darn good 

Maddies Place(Cookeville), they're on Spring (hwy 70) right up from Carlen Chevrolet hereThey have LOTS of great made at home cooking, I love their grilled cheese burger(toast instead of buns but cooked in the bread for the last bit of it on the grill) and just about anything on their breakfast kicks butt, best of all, one can eat for about $5-8 comfortably.

Crawdaddy's(Cookeville), located by the "depot" it's in the old sector of cookeville. They have lots of cajun styled foods, such as Po' Boys and Gator Bites. They also have one of the better steaks in town that I live getting a Jack'n'coke with.(I know that's blasphemy to you purists but I'm a wimp, sue me) 

Rock Island Market(Rock Island), located on 136 headed towards McMinville, I don't want to sound like a broken record so as far as the food is concerned see my above about Maddies.

The Fog Light(Rock ISland), off of Power House Rd which is off of 136, they're a bit more upscaled than most places, I've only eaten there once and it was ToGo food my sister brought back for me, it was pretty sweet what I had. It overlooks the Caney Fork River if you wanna have a view to boot.

There are LOTS more and as I remember I'll post em. Also, all these listed here are mom and pop restaurants, no corporates here, heh heh. :usa:

Edited by whitewolf001

Big E's BBQ(Rickman), it's off hwy111 behind the Dollar General, they have VERY cheap food but do NOT skimp on the portions, for roughly $5 you can get the BBQ nachos and that is enough for the average person for three meals or one for me. :yum:

The Dipsy Doodle(Cookeville), located on hwy 70 on the right if you're headed west towards Nashville. They've got conventional country food but their signature which stands out for me is their burgers, pretty darn good 

Maddies Place(Cookeville), they're on Spring (hwy 70) right up from Carlen Chevrolet hereThey have LOTS of great made at home cooking, I love their grilled cheese burger(toast instead of buns but cooked in the bread for the last bit of it on the grill) and just about anything on their breakfast kicks butt, best of all, one can eat for about $5-8 comfortably.

Crawdaddy's(Cookeville), located by the "depot" it's in the old sector of cookeville. They have lots of cajun styled foods, such as Po' Boys and Gator Bites. They also have one of the better steaks in town that I live getting a Jack'n'coke with.(I know that's blasphemy to you purists but I'm a wimp, sue me) 

Johns Country Cafe(Rock Island), located on 136 headed towards McMinville, I don't want to sound like a broken record so as far as the food is concerned see my above about Maddies.

The Fog Light(Rock ISland), off of Power House Rd which is off of 136, they're a bit more upscaled than most places, I've only eaten there once and it was ToGo food my sister brought back for me, it was pretty sweet what I had. It overlooks the Caney Fork River if you wanna have a view to boot.

There are LOTS more and as I remember I'll post em. Also, all these listed here are mom and pop restaurants, no corporates here, heh heh. :usa:

Another one for Big E's! 

OH! The Ale House(Cookeville), located on Fairground St behind the Taco Bell, they have a HUGE beer selection and a bunch of awesome food. They have numerous burgers that are awesome, one of which is a burger between two grilled cheese sandwiches, another is the Buffalo Burger, a 6oz pattie and a 6oz chicken breast smothered in Buffalo sauce, a surf'n'turf burger amongst others, all of which come on your choice of Pretzel Buns, regular, or texas toast (and have enough french fries, waffle fries, or onion straws for meal of their own), including some burger challenges which have quite the reward, heh heh. The prices are about what you'd pay at a sit in like O'Charleys and Outback but it too is a homeowned business.

Edited by whitewolf001

Johns Country Cafe(Rock Island), located on 136 headed towards McMinville, I don't want to sound like a broken record so as far as the food is concerned see my above about Maddies.

AWESOME....keep 'em coming.  I've already started the list and have five and still added them on.  I'm also checking the websites if they have one.  I'm very impressed so far!!!!

Ah, a fellow believer of the goodness of E's, eh?! haha

Yes. I don't get by there often, but I remember the first time I ordered the loaded BBQ potato (or whatever it's called). That thing was the size of a football. The last time I was there, he was set up in a truck. I've heard he may have an actual building now.

• Like 1

T.C. Grill in Maryville, never eaten anything bad there. 

Walley's Smokehouse on HWY 129 in Maryville, good pulled pork, brisket and ribs. 

Dragon Pit BBQ at 129 and 72, really awesome pulled pork and burgers. 

Sweet P's BBQ and soulfood house, Knoxville (Between Knoxville and Maryville on Maryville Pike)  Really good pulled pork and ribs, vegetables are incredible as well and I don't really even like vegetables.