another what if about permits?

My wife and I were both approved for our permits and are waiting for there arrival, but have a question of a situation that could potentially come up for anyone. So here goes, every morning a ccw person gets up puts on their holster and weapon and is hanging around the house and has to run out the door, in my wife's case a bra holster, but forgets her wallet with her permit in it and gets pulled over, and the officer asks if she has any weapons with her, or me depending on the reverse if I were to not have my wallet with me. Would there be a citation that could be later taken care of or would a person loose their ccw permit?

Thanks in advance for all the responses

Ron
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bonedaddy

Not sure 'bout that'n. Haven't really researched it but I have "may" have done that 3 times since gettin' my permit (maybe, maybe not) but I make photo copies of the permit, drivers license and insurance card and keep a copy in all vehicles. Just in case, ya know? Keep it updated, too.

I just got duplicates of my HCP for each vehicle to go in the envelope with my insurance and registration. I pretty much always have my wallet on me but should it get swiped or I forget it I'd still be legal.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
Guest Bonedaddy

I've been meanin' to do that, also. I've understand, I think, that they're only $5 for duplicates. Is that right? Not really sure.

The statute regarding carry (39-17-1351) only says you must have permit with you at all times you carry.

However, it does not specify a punishment if you don't, except that  (39-17-1352) states you could have permit suspended or revoked for violating 1351. I doubt 1307 (unlawful carry) would come into play.

Matter of fact, my guess, since they can call in and check on the permit which matches your DL number, is that without some extenuating circumstances (like pissing off the LEO), nothing bad would happen period for forgetting your permit. Generally, nothing does with forgetting your DL either.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The statute regarding carry (39-17-1351) only says you must have permit with you at all times you carry.

However, it does not specify a punishment if you don't, except that  (39-17-1352) states you could have permit suspended or revoked for violating 1351. I doubt 1307 (unlawful carry) would come into play.

Matter of fact, my guess, since they can call in and check on the permit which matches your DL number, is that without some extenuating circumstances (like pissing off the LEO), nothing bad would happen period.

- OS

Yeah, but $5 per vehicle is cheap insurance especially when you may be carrying outside of TN where they can't as easily look up the permit.

'Cept ya hafta waste time in court provin' you still got it. Not a big deal. Just waste of time and money.

Well, they don't always cite ya, they can call in and check on DL too. Happened to my mom in Nooga, 'course little old ladies tend to get breaks.

- OS

I was also thinking along the lines if you stepped out to walk the dog and didn't have your wallet with you ifen they could l0ok ya up and see that you have one and not get to excited over the whole thing, but then were dealing with the personality of the leo that is doun the checken that counts.

I was also thinking along the lines if you stepped out to walk the dog and didn't have your wallet with you ifen they could l0ok ya up and see that you have one and not get to excited over the whole thing, but then were dealing with the personality of the leo that is doun the checken that counts.

Yeah, I don't see it being much of an issue really, except as mentioned out of state could be a real hassle.

(disclaimer: my legal opinion is likely worth less than you paid for it)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot