Carry at the gun shop

Guest Len

I've been meaning to pose this question to the group for a while now.

In my travels I've seen gun shops that fall into two categories: carrying loaded guns ok & carrying loaded guns not ok. I'm not naming any names since I don't want to point out the policies of any particular shop, but rather get some opinions on the practice.

On the one hand, each shop owner has the right to dictate whether people carry on-premises. On the other hand, it would seem un-natural for a carry permit holder to have to unload and show clear before entering a place of business -especially a gun shop. I suppose it also is a safety issue -could a loaded gun get confused with an unloaded gun for sale in the store? Accidents could happen? Insurance requirement perhaps?

Thoughts? Any shop owners out there who could help?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion as a consumer and HCP supporter is that if a gunshop doesnt allow legal carry in their shop, they are part of the problem and you shouldnt support them.

My policy as a gunshop owner is that legal carry is allowed and encouraged, but they must keep all loaded handguns in their holster. If they wish to show off their new carry gun, we ask that they go outside and clear it first.

*Loaded longuns are not allowed.

One store in town has that policy, Joe. As long as it is in your holster it can be loaded.

Another store doesn't really have that policy since they are also a range.

I didn't check the policy at the other store.

IIRC, there's one here in Memphis that has it posted that all guns should be unloaded.

Having a range coupled with our store we ask that if it's loaded it be kept in the holster.

If it's in a case, rug, bag we ask it be unloaded or if it's out of a case/holster/rug we ask that it have the action open.

Pretty much what Joe said.

I know of a couple of shops in Johnson city who have posted (not legally) that guns have to be unloaded and checked before you come in. So I don't ever come in any more. Screw them.

OTOH, there is a shop in Greeneville that has a sign saying that loaded guns must remain in their holster. I think that is both reasonable and sensible.

I don't own a gun-shop, but from my perspective there are 4 categories of people I have met, who may potentially enter a gun-shop... those who I would trust with firearms under any conceivable circumstance (firing over my shoulder, with a monkey on their head, etc...), people who I trust with firearms under controlled circumstances (range, or their gun holstered), people who I don't even trust with sharp objects (uh... I've got somewhere else to be, c'ya later), and people who I would actively target with my own weapon if they had one (bangbangbang)...

Since a gun-shop owner can't know, or fully control the types of people coming in and out of their establishment, it's really up to the shop owner to decide whether a blanket rule is more appropriate than individual attention. I think location has alot to do with this decision, since a shop in the (whatever your preferred slang is for the bad part of town) would make for a more stressful situation...

Personally, if a business owner doesn't trust me with a loaded firearm, sign or not, they probably don't know me very well... that's no fault of theirs, but I naturally prefer to take my business to those whom I already have a relationship with. (:D Joe).

Most interesting person I saw in a gun shop was one fellow who had a brain tumor and sucked on those narcotic lollipops for pain relief. He brought in a 12 gauge pump and when he racked it, a round flew out and on the floor.

I cocked my USP....

Funny thing, he was picked up after he left the shop for DUI just a few blocks away.......... :D

I naturally prefer to take my business to those whom I already have a relationship with. (:eek: Joe).

What are you talking about Eddie? We make you leave all of your guns in the car when you come in... :P

Most interesting person I saw in a gun shop was one fellow who had a brain tumor and sucked on those narcotic lollipops for pain relief. He brought in a 12 gauge pump and when he racked it, a round flew out and on the floor.

Yeah, I think most of us see those situations (unfortunately) all too often.

I had a dude clear his loaded XD while pointing it at my chest. :D I had to do a quick side step and then remove the firearm from his hands....:D

I wouldn't have a problem with keeping it holstered. But it does seem a little weird to me that some gun shops would be anti-legal carry.

The Great Outdoor Store in Jackson has recently just opened an indoor range at their place. I contacted the range officer about carry into the store.....he said all weapons must be unloaded, those carried by HCP holders and even LEO's. :D

WD Sporting Goods on Alcoa Hwy does not allow anyone to carry a loaded firearm concealed or open in their store. I asked one of the guys working the desk why and he said it was because of the "show and tell" factor and there was too much risk associated with that. I respect their opinion but will not be purchasing from them.

Now that I think about it Benton Shooters Supply(what a joke) has a place to check your gun when you come in the store.Last time I was there I ignored it and looked around a bit,saw next to no cast bullet selection and left.They have a huge selection of guns,good prices too.Hardly any reloading supplies and local LEO has a speed trap coming and going through Benton.

Now that I think about it Benton Shooters Supply(what a joke) has a place to check your gun when you come in the store.Last time I was there I ignored it and looked around a bit,saw next to no cast bullet selection and left.They have a huge selection of guns,good prices too.Hardly any reloading supplies and local LEO has a speed trap coming and going through Benton.

Sportsman's has a no loaded sign also. He will tell you that if its loaded,your leavin :shrug:

ok... here's my :shrug:....

Years ago we had to put up a sign saying "Ck your firearms"..."no loaded guns allowed"... I didn't want to, but I was forced too by the actions of incompetent customers.

Basically we had to do this because we had to many "know it alls" bring in loaded guns for repair, sale and trade. Yes, even after the sign went up they brought in all kinds of guns that were loaded. My biggest problem is they never ck these guns before they hand them across the counter to us, I mean didn't even ck them at home or in the parking lot. I hate to admit it, but we've also had AD's because some idiot customers were playing "show and tell" with their personal guns in my store. I have actually heard... "Its not loaded"... then BANG!

So heres my policy... and I guess I need to maker it clearer on my door. If you have a carry permit, sure you can carry... but LET ME KNOW... don't be fiddling with it and keep it holstered. Period... If the bad guys come in, protect yourself... but remember, you get in my way because you don't know what your doing and I swear I'll use you as a human shield!

I'd be happy to hear some input on other ways of how to handle this situation thats fair and safe for everyone.

ok... here's my :shrug:....

Years ago we had to put up a sign saying "Ck your firearms"..."no loaded guns allowed"... I didn't want to, but I was forced too by the actions of incompetent customers.

Basically we had to do this because we had to many "know it alls" bring in loaded guns for repair, sale and trade. Yes, even after the sign went up they brought in all kinds of guns that were loaded. My biggest problem is they never ck these guns before they hand them across the counter to us, I mean didn't even ck them at home or in the parking lot. I hate to admit it, but we've also had AD's because some idiot customers were playing "show and tell" with their personal guns in my store. I have actually heard... "Its not loaded"... then BANG!

So heres my policy... and I guess I need to maker it clearer on my door. If you have a carry permit, sure you can carry... but LET ME KNOW... don't be fiddling with it and keep it holstered. Period... If the bad guys come in, protect yourself... but remember, you get in my way because you don't know what your doing and I swear I'll use you as a human shield!

I'd be happy to hear some input on other ways of how to handle this situation thats fair and safe for everyone.

I would be willing to be that the same guys having NDs or handing you loaded guns, are the same retards that wouldnt read your sign, regardless of what it says.

That's gonna be a pretty big sign...

I would be willing to be that the same guys having NDs or handing you loaded guns, are the same retards that wouldnt read your sign, regardless of what it says.

your right, all the AD's have happened after the sign was put up... But that been like 16 years ago or something like that.

+1

However Phil the human shield thing is pretty funny....For your situation I would have a sign that says all firearms are to remain holstered NO EXCEPTIONS.

...and local LEO has a speed trap coming and going through Benton.

Wow. Still.

A daughter of local Benton LEO of some sort was one of my Mom's friends growing up. She said that her father was going to pay for her college from the bucks he got on weekend speed traps (which he pocketed).

You know the scam. Back when that was a main route long before Interstate, you'd have all these folks trying to get wherever back north from FL on weekend. Get stopped, and "well, we can hold your car and you can wait and see the judge on Monday, or...you could just pay fine in cash and go on your way"...

- OS