Is it okay to drink while carrying/handling guns?

Guest confidence

Do firearms and alcohol mix?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that drinking alcohol at home or anywhere else while carrying firearms on your person or handling them is okay ethically (not referring to legality)?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. If you answered YES on Question 1, at what locations would this be acceptable?

• At home only
    • Other locations (as well as at home)
    • I answered NO, so this doesn't apply to me
  3. 3. If you answered YES to Question 1, how much alcohol is okay?

• As long as you are NOT DRUNK, it is okay
    • ANY amount of alcohol is okay
    • I answered NO, so this doesn't apply to me

I understand why the law says no drinking while carrying....

Technical point: that is not the law.

- no drinking at all while packing in a public establishment that serves booze

- no carrying while "under the influence" (undefined)

The first point is clear, the second is not. Been the subject of many a debate here, and as always individual mileage may vary.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I don't drink very often, but I view this question the same as I do any situation when consuming alcohol is concerned.  One or two beers does not lead to any significant level of impairment for the overwhelming majority of people in society.  Two beers in an hour is unlikely to get your BAC over a .02, which is negligible. If I intend to have a firearm readily available, I will not drink more than one or two beers.  Same as if I know I will be driving.  If I can't safely handle a firearm after a couple of adult beverages, or I am so out of control after drinking several adult beverages that I need to keep my guns hidden away, then I probably 1) don't need to own guns, and/or 2) don't need to drink.

To be frank, the logic of some people in regards to this issue is strikingly similar to the logic used by the anti-gun crowd.  For those anti-gunners, some people do bad things with guns, so good people can't be trusted with guns because they might do something bad too.   For the anti-alcohol crowd the logic is: Some people are irresponsible and do stupid stuff while drinking, so we can't trust responsible people with alcohol because they might do something stupid too. 

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 6

I'll have a beer while I'm cleaning up from the shooting range, after I make sure the ammo isn't anywhere where it could find its way into the firearm. Crucify me if you want, but I know what I can handle as far as alcohol goes and I know how to safely handle firearms. I don't get trashed and walk around w/ guns. You just have to know yourself and your own limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...just watch out...we all know that even unloaded guns go off completely on their own all the time. :)

Thanks, Dad. Like I said, I make sure the ammo isn't anywhere near while I'm cleaning. As for it magically finding it's way in, no it doesn't when you check, check again, and then check again after that. Empty mags and empty chambers = no accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all but stopped drinking when I am out 'in public'. For one thing, I'd rather legally carry my handgun in public than legally drink a beer in public so since I am usually carrying, the decision of whether or not to drink in a public place is rendered moot. Honestly, though, part of the reason is monetary. I can buy a sixpack of decent beer for just about the same price that a couple of glasses of watered-down, mass-market swill would cost at a restaurant. Likewise, for what a couple of mixed drinks would cost at a restaurant, I can buy a pint of pretty good stuff and pour them as strong as I want at home.

I also wouldn't drink even at home while shooting targets in the back yard, etc. I simply don't see a 'need' for it nor do I think it would enhance my enjoyment of target shooting.

As others have said, though, if I am at home and have a firearm in my pocket or within arm's reach, the idea of drinking one beer isn't going to make me freak out and start locking everything up. If I were going to have more than one, I'd be more likely to put the firearms out of reach but it is so rare that I have more than one, anymore, that I don't even devote much thought to that.

Certainly everyone needs to make decisions that will contribute to firearm safety. I do believe, however, that our collective 'ideas' about alcohol consumption are influenced by the long-reaching shadow of Prohibition as well as living in the Bible Belt.

Case in point: Way back in the mid 1990s, some friends and I spent a week at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta - before that location apparently became a big 'gay' vacation destination.) We went into town on a couple of days to souvenir hunt and just to try and get some idea of what daily life there would be like. I went into one store and bought a beer. Now, this wasn't a Budwater, etc. This was a La Boheme (Bohemia) that had not been watered down for importation into the U.S. (I have had Bohemia here and the alcohol content was around 4% - the one in Mexico clearly stated on the label that the alcohol content was 7%.) I paid for it, the clerk popped the lid off for me and bid me a good day. I asked, "So, I can just drink this while walking down the street?" and she assured me that, yes, it was no problem. Well, as I exited the store I noticed that there was a road construction crew working on fixing the street outside that store. They were apparently taking a break - and most if not all of them were drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. No one was freaking out that they were drinking 'on the job' or while operating construction equipment. Obviously, having a beer on break was considered commonplace so I am guessing that it didn't regularly result in death and mayhem.

My point is that, despite how even the non-religious among us might have our opinions and attitudes regarding alcohol influenced by the specters of Prohibition and Protestantism, I don't believe that 'demon alcohol' is going to invade my body, mind and spirit and cause me to start shooting up the place after only one beer any more than that evil gun in my pocket or holster is going to jump out and start shooting up the place all on its own. Notice that, so far, no one who has answered the poll has indicated that carrying and having even one would be okay anywhere and everywhere - pretty much just at home. Further, no one has indicated that they think it would be okay to be 'snockered' and carrying a gun.

Agreed and good points. I also vacationed down there to Puerta Vallarta years back, but was already familiar with Mexican attitudes on drinking in public. Much like I was getting at with my earlier post, there is a big difference between drinking and being drunk.

Our culture has effectively demonized the use of alcohol much like other substances such as tobacco and marijuana. I enjoy beer, and I enjoy it often. I have a beer almost everyday with lunch, just as I did when I was in the Army. In fact, I wish our carry laws were such that consumption of alcohol in public was fine in conjunction with legal carry, so long as you're not intoxicated. Granted, folks are going to cry "blood in the streets" at that one, but consider for a second that the type of person who gets wasted with a sidearm is probably not the type of person who obey the rules anyway. So nothing more than a "feel good" law that does nothing to stop stupid people from doing stupid things, yet prevents law abiding folks like myself from having a beer with dinner when I take my wife out. I choose to carry rather than drink, but damn, I like having a beer with my steak and think its crap that bed wetters think I'm not a big boy enough to do that.

Furthermore, if you can't control your drinking that's your business. I find it presumptuous that some ignorant folks here would call somebody an "idiot" because they can have a beer or two and still possess their pistol without incident. If you can't control yourself that is your business, but don't project your inability to handle alcohol responsibly on those who can.

On a side note, apparently in Indiana there is no prohibition against drinking while carrying, just drinking and being intoxicated. Somehow they have avoided blood in the streets. Perhaps Tennesseans just aren't as responsible as those Indiana folks, or maybe the presumption that someone is uncontrollably drunk after a couple beers is all just hogwash. Edited by TMF

I don't drink very often, but I view this question the same as I do any situation when consuming alcohol is concerned. One or two beers does not lead to any significant level of impairment for the overwhelming majority of people in society. Two beers in an hour is unlikely to get your BAC over a .02, which is negligible. If I intend to have a firearm readily available, I will not drink more than one or two beers. Same as if I know I will be driving. If I can't safely handle a firearm after a couple of adult beverages, or I am so out of control after drinking several adult beverages that I need to keep my guns hidden away, then I probably 1) don't need to own guns, and/or 2) don't need to drink.

To be frank, the logic of some people in regards to this issue is strikingly similar to the logic used by the anti-gun crowd. For those anti-gunners, some people do bad things with guns, so good people can't be trusted with guns because they might do something bad too. For the anti-alcohol crowd the logic is: Some people are irresponsible and do stupid stuff while drinking, so we can't trust responsible people with alcohol because they might do something stupid too.

And this. This is what I meant to say.
Guest Emtdaddy1980
I choose being able to carry in public over drinking in public, but like TMF I really wish I could have a beer with my steak when I go out. Of course I've also found that the beer is colder and the steaks are tastier when I take care of both myself. Honestly, with the exception of the Chop House I haven't found a restaurant steak that I liked as well ad my own. And when I grill em at home I probably have a beer in my hand, and I probably have the pistol in my pocket. I don't drink enough at one time anymore to be concerned with putting it up.

I just don't feel that guns are all that unpredictable. Don't pull the trigger and there won't be none. I can remember that with a half liter of tequila in my system. The problems with guns and alcohol come when somebody turns into an idiot, and thinks the rules have changed, like when, where, and what you can perforate.  

• Like 2

I choose being able to carry in public over drinking in public, but like TMF I really wish I could have a beer with my steak when I go out. Of course I've also found that the beer is colder and the steaks are tastier when I take care of both myself. Honestly, with the exception of the Chop House I haven't found a restaurant steak that I liked as well ad my own. And when I grill em at home I probably have a beer in my hand, and I probably have the pistol in my pocket. I don't drink enough at one time anymore to be concerned with putting it up.

As far as beer and steak are concerned I feel the same way. A guy at work from out of town asked where to get a good steak around here and I said my house.

For me its pretty much a non issue.  May have a beer with dinner once or twice a month  and i dont disarm when i do.  Don't think its necessary.

As far as drinking in public while armed individual mileage may vary.  The type of guy/gal that has a few drinks knows they shouldn't be driving and calls a cab is the same type of person that's smart enough to leave their firearm holstered.  A holstered gun aint gonna hurt any one regardless of the state of inebriation of its owner much like a parked car isnt going to hit anyone.  

If your the type of person on the other hand who practices really bad judgement when drinking in any amounts then perhaps its not the carrying a gun you should be questioning but rather the drinking part.

As far as drinking in public while armed individual mileage may vary.

You realize that if "in public" means consuming in a public establishment in TN that serves booze, the legal "mileage" is zero, not one sip while carrying, right?

- OS

I understand the legal implications, my understanding of the post was that the OP was asking for personal opinions on it.  My personal opinion is that all people are different.  Some are perfectly capable of responsibly carrying even if consuming alcohol  others may very well not.

In addition to that public can constitute much more than a portion of an establishment devoted to serving alcohol.  I in no way condone breaking the law.

• Like 1

If I choose to carry in public then I choose not to drink. I prefer to be the "designated CCW" when in places that could be dangerous like downtown Nashville on a Saturday night. No judgment, no disrespect, just my personal preference. If I have friends over to the house and alcohol is served my weapons are in the safe.

• Like 1

May be an extreme choice on my part, and I am by no means anti-alcohol, but I became a teetotaler when started packing.  It is either literally on my person, or within arms reach 24/7 unless I'm in a location that prohibits it (I avoid them unless there is no choice in the matter, such as in a courtroom when proceedings are under way, etc.).  I simply never want there to be any equivocation present in the event of a voice-stress analyzer, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Either I'm the Designated driver or the Designated CCW. I don't usually drink, but when I do i know my limit and drink only at home or out on the river(kayaking). Now carrying a gun on the river is a no-brainer, as we never know what might happen. But i can safely handle a little alcohol and my gun and not act like a total ass. Out in public, i don't like to drink. But if i do, The gun stays in the car. Drink mostly at home, when I can afford to. I have been drunk before, well before i got into guns. I don't ever want to go that road again. So I stop after maybe 3 beers, maybe 2 mixed drinks just to play safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just politely ask any home invaders to come back earlier the next night as I've had a few beers and my 1911 is put away.

That said if I'm carrying and go to a bar, bullets in the back, empty magazine somewhere else and unloaded pistol locked in my glovebox. I keep my registration and insurance card accessible but not in the glovebox just in case I have an encounter with any LEO.  I try to not get hammered and don't drive if I do and don't drive like a jerk if I only had a couple.

Edited by red dirt
  • Moderators
The only stupidity alcohol makes me prone to makes ME likely to get shot by my wife. So no, the guns don't get put away because I am having a beer or three. I don't play with them when drinking just like I don't play with them when sober. If I felt that imbibing alcohol made me unsafe to be around a firearm, I'd quit drinking entirely because imbibing would make me unsafe to be around anything or anyone.
  • Like 1