Educate me

LI0NSFAN

I am not that into extremely high end rifles so this one boggles my mind. I saw this listed on another site and I just don't understand the price. I went to the website for the Manufacturer and noticed that most of their gun were priced around this one so I realized that it was not just a person that thinks his gun is made of gold. I apologize if this violates any rules and feel free to edit it or tell me to. Here is the rifle http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-fbi-hrt-rifle.html I was just wondering if any of you could tell me why I should pay almost 5 grand for a rifle like this.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Moderators
Ok guys last reduction. I will take 5750 for the whole setup. Added a $160 dollar Sniper sling with ITW NEXUS BUCKLES AND QD swivels. I am including this for the same price! 

GAP HRT Custom .308 with Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15X. First focal plane. ZeroStop. High speed turrets, Atlas bipod. Surefire muzzle brake. Atlas rail. This is a world class rig. Will take partial or full trades

Looking for :
Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8X. H27 reticle
Knights Armament SR-15 E3 Mod 1
LaRue PredatAR or OBR in 5.56 16 inch
Other .308 bolt guns with threaded barrel
LMT MRP
LMT MWS 16 inch .308

They have the Leupold Mark 8 at a local gun shop. If you are interested in this setup and it would make it easier on you to use a credit card to make the biggest part of the purchase, we can do that. The scope with rings and tax would probably be around 4600-4700 dollars. Then I would take cash or trade for the rest of the value (around 1,100). I would actually allow someone to put the entire amount on a card. I would just buy ammo or something with the remaining 1,000 or 1,100. This is an opportunity to get an amazing weapons system without the extreme wait AND be able to pay it off over time. That's pretty fair in my opinion. Let me know if you are game! Thanks

Yeah, I don't know.  It looks like they sold these to the FBI, if that is the case, I don't think they can sell them to the public for less than what they charged the Feds.  So of course, the price is going to be jacked up a ton for the Gov sale. 

Aimpoints and ACOG's are so expensive not because it costs them so much to make them.  They are that high because they have to charge at least as much as they charge the military for them, as I understand it. 

all I can think of is it better be able to hit a dime at a mile every time at that price.   If it can, its probably worth it --- accuracy COSTS in both pistols and rifles, and I can accept that for high end competition.   If it can't, its not worth even 1.5k tops.  

It's a 308 so doubtful on the dime at a mile. They guarantee these guns to shoot 3/8 or better with match ammo though. That stock is close to $1000 and the scope is $2500. That's a nice piece for sure. Edited by hunter24

It's a 308 so doubtful on the dime at a mile. They guarantee these guns to shoot 3/8 or better with match ammo though. That stock is close to $1000 and the scope is $2500. That's a nice piece for sure.

I am pretty sure you could get 3/8 with match ammo on a m24 and get to save $2000+ for training.

I am pretty sure you could get 3/8 with match ammo on a m24 and get to save $2000+ for training.

FYI, an actual M24 kit (with box and all the bells and whistles) is about $10k. It ain't just a Remmy 700 with a scope on it. Lotta expensive stuff goes into these kits and it adds up.
  • Like 1

This is where my brother got his http://www.randbrifles.com/usarmym24.htm I don't know if it came with all of the extras, but he has the rifle with scope. It is way better than both of us so I am not sure of its full potential.

I assume it didn't come with any scope at that price. For reference, the scope that comes in the M24 kit is nearly 2K alone. Then add in all the other crap on top of the price of the gun. The rifle pictured here appears to look the same, although that is a different stock than what came in the original kit (pictured on that site). All fine I'm sure, I just thought you were talking about the complete SWS.

I'm sure the rifle featured in the original post has more cowbell on it, and surely the stock on that one is a little more expensive, but I wouldn't pay that much for a .308 when there are cheaper rifles that shoot just as well, like the one your brother has. Edited by TMF

I am not that into extremely high end rifles so this one boggles my mind. I saw this listed on another site and I just don't understand the price. I went to the website for the Manufacturer and noticed that most of their gun were priced around this one so I realized that it was not just a person that thinks his gun is made of gold. I apologize if this violates any rules and feel free to edit it or tell me to. Here is the rifle http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-fbi-hrt-rifle.html I was just wondering if any of you could tell me why I should pay almost 5 grand for a rifle like this.

3/8 MOA every time is a pretty big deal and that rifle is built with a bunch of top shelf parts not just a fixed up Rem 700. This rifle is built for someone who is highly trained and has to take shots that lives depend on. There is a lot of gunsmithing that goes into making a rifle that accurate too. A person might be able to build one for a little less but I don't think it would be by much unless they can do their own gunsmithing.
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

I just can't see spendin' that kinda money on any rifle. The Remmy SPS Tactical with 20" bull barrel I had would do 3-4/8 ths with Fed. match ammo the way it came from the factory and it's a $600 rifle. Scope is extra, ya know. Almost regret sellin' it but I wanna go back a little old skool with a 22,' wood furniture, iron sighted 700 in 30.06 or .270. I ain't good enough for extreme distance, no how. I was much better as a kid but not now.

I thought the fbi shot 7 mags

Dunno about the feebs but I was reading an account by one of our snipers and he used a variety of rifles including a 223, a 338 lapua, a 50 bmg, 7 mag, and a 308 at various times, and it sounded like all that in less than a 2-3 year period.   I dunno if he had all that stuff handy or picked a rifle for each mission or how he selected a rifle, but certainly a number of calibers are in use.  It *sounded* like the 223 was a standard issue gun, perhaps backup if he gets jumped but perhaps scoped for short range shots, it was very unclear (probably intentionally unclear). 

I could be way off, or outdated, but as I understood it FBI departments could pick their own gear to some extent, and there are standard issue items as well.  Another unclear area, for many reasons the doings of govt operatives is kept kinda mum.

Edited by Jonnin