Lucky (Lucky Lucky Lucky) Shot

StPatrick

Last week, I happened to be on vacation in Colorado, specifically the eastern high desert.  One of the things we did on the 4th was play some shotgun golf, which is when you try to shoot wedge shots out of the sky...that's a different story for another time.  One of my fellow players pocket-carried a Taurus TCP .380.  Having never shot one, I asked if I could give it a try; the answer was "yes, of course".  I dry-fired the weapon three times (not a bad trigger at all - long, but light and smooth), then took aim at a golf ball on the ground 25 yards away.  I'd just finished watching another man shoot at the same ball, and he was within feet at best, so I didn't have high hopes.  With my first shot, this happens:

null_zps8b7901bc.jpg

I should've bought a lottery ticket that day, I guess.  After being flat center-punched, the ball looped straight away 20 yards or so; I found it against a fence.  When I saw the ball jump, my first reaction was to shout "Did you see that?!" and turn around (maintaining muzzle discipline, I'm happy to say), only to find everyone was looking elsewhere.  Those in the group quickly came to a consensus that I must have hit the dirt in front of the ball - after all, who hits at 25 yards with a mousegun?  I'm glad I found the evidence.  Here's the back of the ball, which shows an exit where (I guess) what was left of the core passed through:

null_zps9033e751.jpg

If the PT709 Slim I used to have had a trigger anything like the little TCP, I'd have kept it.  Sweet little trophy though, right?

• Like 1
Guest Hound

Thats where you turn around and act like you knew you could do it easily the whole time.  Like walking away from an explosion cool.

Yeah, nice shot. Had they been watching, that's when you turn around and say "Hey, not a bad gun, thanks," and hand it back.

Golf balls get their fair share of abuse I guess. We were shooting muzzleloaders on a buddy's farm years ago and his son showed up with a sack of golf balls. Someone came up with the idea that those balls sat perfect on the crown of that big .50 cal hole, so with a slight downrange tilt, he fired his rifle with 50grs of pyrodex behind a patched ball and launched the ball like a mortar round way the hell out there. We thought it was so cool, we all started launching balls...too funny...you could actually watch them fly. Never figured if the patched ball behind it passed the golf ball eventually, or if we were just realizing how slow those muzzleloaders really shot.

did that once with a 45. cant prove it though we never found the ball and i never saw it leave. it just disappeared . we looked for 30 minutes and never found it. only about 30 feet away though.

You had the 45 set on vaporize.

I punched through a golfball on a stick with a 9mm. Funny thing is, is that its a Wilson ball too lol (Wilson Ultra - and I still have it)

I'm not much of a golfer, but I'm of the belief that being shot at is the best possible use for the hunks of marble Wilson calls golf balls.

Guest Aces&8s

You had the 45 set on vaporize.

LOL...  that's funny, as my first thought was that the golf ball saw the mighty .45 pointed in its direction and simply melted away in fear.

• 2 weeks later...