Lessons learned from the Zimmerman/Martin tragedy

Since the prosecution has rested its case, most everyone has made up their mind on guilt, so let's turn to the lessons we (and everyone, frankly) should learn from this tragedy... from the different perspectives. VERY IMPORTANT: It's not necessary to KNOW what happened to learn something from what MIGHT have happened. Each side of this case has important lessons learned.

GZ: Never lose situational awareness.

GZ: Never put yourself in vulnerable position when the police are on their way.

GZ: Be prepared to be authoritative... and quickly.  "You got a problem with me?"   "I'm neighborbood watch captain; what are you doing here?"

GZ: Do not do anything illegal when watching suspicious persons. (Not saying he did. It's just a good take away lesson for everyone if he did.)

TM: If a child is chased by an unknown person at night, get to a safe place. Find an adult or police. Call the police. Call a parent. For goodness sake, don't get distracted by talking to another teenager on the phone.

TM: Never confront an unknown, suspicious person. You might be carrying fists into a gun fight.

TM: As a kid, never get into an altercation with an adult. The authorities are going to believe the adult.

S. Fulton: Parents, for goodness sakes, give your kids some tough love if they get suspended. Teach your kids that actions have consequences. Set a curfew. Take away the phone for a week. Suspend phone service. Suspend internet service. It took a 5-minute google search to come up with these ideas, so there's probably better actions, but this is a start.

S. Fulton: If your kid is doing something wrong, monitor their texts, tweets, emails, and facebook to see what the kid is up to.

I'm sure there are a lot more lessons we can learn from this. What are your thoughts?

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 6

Good advice for all! Trevon was at that age where he had the body of a man and the mind of a child. The whole affair was a clusterflop. There is only one person alive who knows what really happened.

• Like 1

Found this as a good lesson for parents. Monitor your child's social media activity for warning signals.

www.Safetyweb.com will monitor your child's online activity and texts for "flag words," what numbers they are calling/texting, texting in the middle of the night, texting when they should be in class, etc.  It does more as well. Cost is $100/year.

Having seen TM's tweets online, the red flags should have been flying at high mast.

A lot of "If"s in this case. Just one change and things would be very diff.
I have told my kids "easiest way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from trouble".

Seems like Zimmerman could have followed that advice, hmm?
  • Like 2

:popcorn: ..............Hope I've got enough popcorn. No way is this gonna stay on topic. :rofl:

No, it likely won't....too many JFT folks who probably wouldn't believe Zimmerman's innocence even if Trayvon himself rose from the grave and confirmed that it was 100% his fault and that Zimmerman's account of what happened was 100% accurate.

Now, I'll tell you a couple of things we should learn from this in addition to the very good start (above)...

1. Don't clam up with the police but don't be an idiot about it either...there are a few things you NEED to say to both the arriving officers and the investigating officers. Among other things, point out witnesses and point out evidence to the police when they arrive (wittnesses and evidence both can disappear VERY quickly after a shooting).

2. What you say must be 100% truthful...criminals LIE, innocent men don't.

3. When police arrive after a SD shooting there will likely be at least one person on the ground either dead or dying and looking a WHOLE lot like a VICTIM! From the police perspective there are only two main categories of performers in a drama like this, VICTIM and PERPETRATOR. You need to make it clear that YOU are the victim and the dead or dying person was the perpetrator.

4. EVERYONE who carries a firearm for SD should have the CELL PHONE numbers of at least 2 or 3 attorneys who can help them if they are ever involved in a SD shooting.

5. EVERYONE who carries a firearm for SD should have either the financial wherewithal to provide fro his defense or carry insurance to help pay the cost.

6.  When the time comes to tell your story; have your attorney present.

Those are just a few...there are plenty more things to be learned BEFORE you discharge your weapon.

Edited by RobertNashville
Yep, getting out of the truck and chasing someone you believe to be suspicious while you're carrying is good to go. Nothing bad will ever come of that.

Seriously, I've been saying from the start (guilty or innocent) there is a very good lesson HCP holders could learn from Zman's case. Instead of recognizing that we're still playing "you must think Trayvon kneels at the cross" game. Good stuff. If folks can't learn from the jackassery of others they deserve all the consequences coming their way.
  • Like 2
1. If you find yourself wanting to chase a kid down the street simply because you don’t know him; stop and give yourself a couple of minutes to get your head out of your azz.

2. Oh wait, you don’t need 2 though whatever if you have common sense.
  • Like 1

I have learned my family is probably better off if I am killed rather than use a gun to defend myself.

Well...better than being killed; just don't defend yourself.  In fact, why carry a weapon or get involved at all.

We should all learn that the next time we see someone in your neighborhood acting suspicious we just need to go inside or keep driving to the store and hope that the suspicious looking stranger is just out for some skittles.  After all, if he isn't and he actually is up to something...well...we can be secure in the knowledge that he'll likely be some other person's problem.  I mean...why get involved at all; there's no reason for us to give a s**t about anyone else anyway.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Don't talk to the police without a lawyer regardless of the situation.  

Actually, that's not entirely good advice.

As I stated above; when you've just been in a SD shooing it's very much in your own best interests to TALK to the police; just don't try and do a three hour interrogation without an attorney present and absolutely not before at least two or three days have passed.

At the scene and at a minimum you need to make it clear that YOU were the victim and you need to point out witnesses and all the evidence...if you don't and it disappears or gets moved around while EMS and cops are running all over the scene your absolutely good shoot could easily turn into a trial for murder.

Lesson leaned is that you really need to buy and wear Google Glasses and record everything.....

Too bad the battery died before GZ made it to the T at the dog walk...

Getting off topic a bit, Glass is awesome but has a ways to go. It would be a great way to protect yourself but in a tussle it will fall off and be broken.
Guest nra37922

Maybe someone should invent a gun cam to go along side the laser. 

But lessons to be learned from the GZ trial

The need to play politics will trump common sense. 

Doing the right thing can end up screwing you.

Years of being PC has driven the fix for issues almost out of reach.

and finally

A large percentage of people really and truly are stupid ass-clowns.

Edited by nra37922