My EDC is off to the hospital...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a couple of Kershaws and have had good luck with them. One of my faves is the Needs Work. It has the nice flat edge (great for sharpening), spring assist, and is made of Sandvik 14C28N steel...with around a $40-$45 price tag. Mine came razor sharp and has remained that way.

Yeah I just know I am going to slice my finger one day while trying to close these assisted knives one handed haha.

Just tried it on three different kershaws/zts (zt 301, kershaw chive, kershaw blur) and discovered that this is only possible if you really try. The place where you push the liner lock is not under the sharp of the blade so unless you move your thumb into harms way after you start closing the knife you should be good. 

I recently picked up the One Ton. Not bad for a manual folder...not my EDC as its a bit wide for my taste. A decent addition for under $30 shipped.

Mine bit me the first month I had it, lopped off a nice chunk o' thumb skin with the saw teeth on the base. :cry:

First few days after having my first nice EDC a few years back, I was opening and closing the knife with one hand, just fiddling with the knife....put the plade into the tip of my pinky bone............. Thank God for bones, or else I'd prolly  have a shorter pinky...

:usa:

Edited by Ted S.
Guest copperhead_1911

I am a bit of a knife guy have been collecting for years and occasionally find deals to buy or sell and trade knives.

When you said it failed do you mean it just did not open? or was it a weak opening where you still need a little wrist action.

I have only carried my compound for 2 years, but it has not failed and I figure you can't beat them for $20 or so dollars.

I am a bit of a knife guy have been collecting for years and occasionally find deals to buy or sell and trade knives.

When you said it failed do you mean it just did not open? or was it a weak opening where you still need a little wrist action.

I have only carried my compound for 2 years, but it has not failed and I figure you can't beat them for $20 or so dollars.

It's an assist open, the torsion bar inside broke, it still worked but would no longer spring open, figure if I'm gonna have a spring assisted knife it had better "spring" open, lol; so Kershaw fixed er up for me, plus sharpened it to Katana like status to boot, no charge.

I bought a CYRO and OSOsweet recently. They are nice knives for the money but I can open my spyderco almost as fast and with a lot more ease.

The "button" to deploy the blade isn't that ergonomic in my opinion and that spring will eventually wear out. Happened to a friend of mine but I'm sure Kershaw will take care of it.

The pocket clips are actually really poor on both knives, way too stiff and difficult to get slide in place. Good knives but I probably won't buy another Kershaw.

I think I'll venture into the Benchmade world next.

I bought a CYRO and OSOsweet recently. They are nice knives for the money but I can open my spyderco almost as fast and with a lot more ease.

The "button" to deploy the blade isn't that ergonomic in my opinion and that spring will eventually wear out. Happened to a friend of mine but I'm sure Kershaw will take care of it.

The pocket clips are actually really poor on both knives, way too stiff and difficult to get slide in place. Good knives but I probably won't buy another Kershaw.

I think I'll venture into the Benchmade world next.

I love the Cryo for what it is. It helps to be used to flippers. I have a bunch of flippers, so the ergos are pretty natural to me. With that said, my fastest deploying knife is a ZT0550, with plain ole thumb studs. I open my Spydies like a Sebenza. They flick ok, I guess, but I like riding the spydie hole.

Not a huge Kershaw fan, but love my ZT's.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest copperhead_1911

Don't you have a few benchmade blades too? How do those stack up?

If you myself.

I actually have not dealt with them as I have only checked out a couple friends of mine have. I thought about picking one up. Selling wise many people think they are way too expensive.