My EDC is off to the hospital...

My Kershaw Tanto Blur's spring assist failed on me last week after about 3 years and a LOT of playing with it, while not super concerned I figured I'd ship her off to get it repaired and have them replace the blade for $10; I've spent $10 on WAY stupider stuff so I thought, "eh, why not." In the meantime though I think I'm gonna look another folder because my warranty info said it could take up to six weeks and all I have on me is my Gerber Suspension MT, so yeah... any suggestions out here on ze interwebs?

I have a Blackout I used to carry and liked quite a lot. I have switched to sog due to the way the clip mounts. its hides the knife in the pocket better. I liked the mini aegis but am currently carrying the trident model tf7-cp. being a truck mechanic my knives take a beating and both the Kershaw and sog have held up well.

I'm not a knife guy, but since you'll have your knife back in a few weeks, you might consider the Kershaw 1920 multitool. It's my carry around the house because I'm always needing a screwdriver. It opens one handed with a thumb stud and wrist flick. I have the model with the black blade. It looks a little better than the stainless look in this picture, in my opinion. The blade is pretty good... not great... but excellent for a $20 knife.  The blade is 8Cr13Mov.

-font-b-Kershaw-b-font-1920-multifunctio

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Cool, some of the SpeedSafe Kershaws have one, some don't. I've got 4 or 5 of them, but not the Blur, so didn't know.

- OS

Yeah, it doesn't work with all Speedsafe models. I tried it with the Random Task II and promptly reinstalled the torsion bar because there was no detent.

But a deassisted Blur is the bee's knees. Edited by daddyo

You two are old!  :rofl:

No shit. :) ZT is trying to move to detents in their newer assisted knives, like the 566. I assume they'll do the same on the Kershaw side. Lots of folks want manual. I'm still wet behind the ears with this knife stuff. I have several Speedsafe knives, but kinda prefer the manuals. My ZT 550 and 561 don't need springs.

If you are a Kershaw fan you could pick up one of the cheaper 8Cr13MoV Kershaw's like the volt or the Oso Sweet.

Spyderco's Tenacious line is another option.

I have been thinking about grabbing a Volt 2. I have a Volt SS, and like it real well. If you like the Hinderer design, a Cryo is real cool. I have 3 variations of them. The Cryo won a blade award for value. 8Cr13MOV steel as well.

Here's a thread. The knives still have the factory goop on them in the pics, so ignore that...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/66167-kershaw-cryos-and-kershaw-volt-ss/

I was told at SMKW that my little tension bar thing on my leek was shot because it was washed and dried. They replaced it for free!

Only thing that would do is take the lube off it. Might rattle, but wouldn't hurt it.

And btw, the lube is only in there to keep it from rattling, so if your SpeedSafe does, open it up and put a little dab of Vaseline or grease in the bar channel.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have been thinking about grabbing a Volt 2. I have a Volt SS, and like it real well. If you like the Hinderer design, a Cryo is real cool. I have 3 variations of them. The Cryo won a blade award for value. 8Cr13MOV steel as well.

Here's a thread. The knives still have the factory goop on them in the pics, so ignore that...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/66167-kershaw-cryos-and-kershaw-volt-ss/

I picked up a volt 2 in Foley when we went to Gulf Shores. It has replaced my Kershaw Groove as my EDC. Assisted opening sure is nice!

I picked up a volt 2 in Foley when we went to Gulf Shores. It has replaced my Kershaw Groove as my EDC. Assisted opening sure is nice!

I have several assisted knives by Kershaw and ZT. Right now, my favorites are the ZT Hinderer collaborations, and they're both manual. No problem deploying them, and they're easier to close with one hand. I like the assisted knives too. I just know what rose to the top of the pile.