Knoxville American Signature Furniture unfriendly to CCW

I went to American Signature Furniture on Kingston Pike in Knoxville today. On the door is a ghost-busters symbol and a sign that says something along the lines of "We provide for the saftey of you and other customers. Firearms are not permitted on these premises". That is a paraphrase, but the basic idea is there.

I did take a peek inside, as we were looking for something in particular. The sign was not legal, so I didn't have any problem entering. I thought about looking for the manager and finding out just how he was providing for my safety, but we were in a hurry, and to be honest, I didn't feel like a fight today.

I may go ahead and call them or send an email to corporate and ask the question, and just let them know that I will not be a followup customer.

Besides, I don't trust anyone for my safety. You want to help out? Great, thanks. But, don't try to force me to depend on you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest unreconstructed1
"We provide for the safety of you and other customers. Firearms are not permitted on these premises"

sounds like that would be grounds for a lawsuit in case something happened to you on their premisis.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Just sent them an email Heres what i sent them.

I just wanted to let you know I or anyone in my family will not be shopping in your store. And here is why you now have on your door a ghost-busters symbol and a sign that says something along the lines of "We provide for the safety of you and other customers. Firearms are not permitted on these premises". Please tell me that the bad guys will obey this sign. We all no they wont. Only the law abiding citizens will. Please take a few minutes and watch this video. [ame]

[/ame] We have started to post on all gun forums to start boycotting you guys until this sign comes down. Thanks for your time on this. Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest nraforlife
sounds like that would be grounds for a lawsuit in case something happened to you on their premisis.

+1

Course I LOVE these stores that don't follow the law in regards to posting and then expect you to take their sign seriously.

Edited by nraforlife

OK, I finally got my lazy self up to do something. I sent them this email today...

Dear American Signature Furniture,

I tried to visit your Knoxville store on 8/10/08, but unfortunately I was unable to enter the store. You see I am a TN resident with a handgun carry permit, and there is a sign on the store's front door that states something along the lines of "American Signature Furniture provides for the safety of you and our customers, firearms are not permitted on these premises". As I was carrying my firearm, I could not come in to shop.

My first question is, exactly how does the store provide for my safety? I did not see any armed guards posted at the door. Let's say, for example, a robber came in, and didn't notice the "no firearms" sign on the door, so he proceeded to enter with a loaded gun. Do you have ways of preventing him from shooting me?

You see, a criminal is by definition a law breaker. He does not care that you put up a sign that says "no firearms". He is already planning on breaking the law by robbing your store. The only thing having that sign posted does, is to pretty much ensure the robber that there will be nobody inside that can put up any resistance. Easy pickings for him.

Now, I, as a TN Handgun Carry Permit holder, have gone through and passed training and certification recognized by the state. They agree that I am to be trusted to carry a firearm in most places. Why would you deny me the same privilege? I value my permit more than you can imagine, and I would never do anything to jeopardize it. That means that I would never come in and do anything "crazy" with my firearm, like brandish it about, or threaten anyone with it. That would certainly cause me to lose my permit and I won't let that happen.

I know that you may think you are providing for my safety, but to be honest, the only person I really trust with my safety and protection is me! If you want to provide for my safety and assist in a bad situation, I would welcome that, but don't force me to rely solely on you.

I am a member of an online group of individuals that value the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution, and exercise the right to legally and responsibly carry a firearm. The membership of this group is currently over 2000 Tennesseans, and I'm sure there are many more who participate without actually joining. I am copying this letter to all 2000 members to make them aware of your position. I strongly encourage you to reconsider your no firearms policy. If you were to do so, I would let those same members know that you have reconsidered, and respect our rights.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

If I get a reply, I'll post it.

I noticed about a year and a half ago that they had it posted, correctly and then roughly eight months ago they did not have any mention of it on their door(s). Now this?

Funny.

Seems that they only want to give the appearance and not really go all the way.

Cool Spring's American Signature is posted as well.

When we were in there a few months ago I wanted to

confront them about that and ask for more information on there

security measures and what there plans were in case of trouble.

Did they employ armed security guards, olds guys with mace, sales people with cellphones to call 911, mall ninjas ready to spring from the ceiling at a moments notice... or maybe a plan to blast "Love Train" by the O'Jays from the store speakers to help diffuse any hint of trouble.

Needless to say... my loving wife didn't want me to start anything. Noting that

a. Most people don't get my sarcasm...

b. Although I might make a valid point, I would suffer in the long

run by embarrassing her like that. LOL!!

so I didn't say anything... :-\ I suck.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Small nitpick on the letter its not really true to say that you "could not enter the shop." Now this probably is boiling down to personal preferences, but I think I'd word it a little differently, and let them know that I read and understood that they did not trust me as a customer, and thus I went in search of someone who was willing to accept my money.

That's my take on this stuff- those signs, whether legally worded or not, tell me that the folks running the place don't want my business, so unless there's some really pressing need for me to enter, I'll happily oblige them.

That said, by writing a letter to them, you've already taken a step that most people won't, so kudos on that.

The Rivergate store is also posted in the same way. It is in the database. It is kinda odd that they make that statement in the way they have. It is rather large and obvious and not conjoined with any other regulations.

That was probably the worst way to word the sign... well, I suppose they could have just come out and said: "We claim full liability for the safety of our patrons, therefore by entering this establishment you forfeit all responsibility for your own well-being."

Why don't they just put up a sign that says: "Criminals Prohibited", that makes more logical sense... and I'm sure would be just as effective, but at least it wouldn't inconvenience me.

Guest GT_Rat

I still think most stores intentionally post improperly to give the sheeple a warm fuzzy knowing full well the sign has no teeth. I think they know full well that carry permit holders know what the sign has to say to have any legal bearing and it induces HCP holders to also conceal to not cause any friction.

Guest nraforlife
I still think most stores intentionally post improperly to give the sheeple a warm fuzzy knowing full well the sign has no teeth. I think they know full well that carry permit holders know what the sign has to say to have any legal bearing and it induces HCP holders to also conceal to not cause any friction.

I tend to agree with you. So carry concealed and go about your business.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I actually think that this is a distinct possibility... but the flip side of this is that I believe that by putting those signs up to comfort the sheeple, they're reinforcing the acceptance of guns as Bad Things that only Crazy People tote around.

In the end, I doubt there are many folks who'll refuse to patronize a business because they don't have No Guns Allowed signs. In fact, I'd wager that the average non-observant sheep wouldn't even notice the thing unless it's bright red, two feet square, and placed on the door at eye level.

Maybe there's a decent rationale for using non-binding signs to soothe the sheeple, but it seems far more likely to be bad for business by annoying folks like me.

Guest GT_Rat
I actually think that this is a distinct possibility... but the flip side of this is that I believe that by putting those signs up to comfort the sheeple, they're reinforcing the acceptance of guns as Bad Things that only Crazy People tote around.

True but you don't want to get the sheeple thinking because then they might realize that the prices for their furniture isn't worth the quality of the product they are getting. Better to go along with the sheeples perception so they keep spending money with you.

In the end, I doubt there are many folks who'll refuse to patronize a business because they don't have No Guns Allowed signs. In fact, I'd wager that the average non-observant sheep wouldn't even notice the thing unless it's bright red, two feet square, and placed on the door at eye level.

Yep, but the few that do notice them are the most vociferous complainers that will whine the loudest if they see you carrying there.

Maybe there's a decent rationale for using non-binding signs to soothe the sheeple, but it seems far more likely to be bad for business by annoying folks like me.

Remember who the majority is here. Sadly it's not us.

In principle I agree with you though.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Ok Ok I messed up on what i wrote here but i just copied my email and heres what it said.

I just wanted to let you know I or anyone in my family will not be shopping in your store. And here is why you now have on your door a "ghost-busters symbol" and a sign that says something along the lines of "We will provide for the safety of you and other customers. Firearms are not permitted on these premises." Please tell me that the bad guys will obey these signs? We all no they wont. Only the law abiding citizens will. Please take a few minutes and watch this video.

So the Email was writing out right. I just got in a hurry the day i posted the email i sent to them sorry. :)

Edited by GLOCKGUY

Well, here is the reply they sent me...

Thank you for taking the time to contact our corporate office in writing.

The concealed weapons policy has been put in place for all of our corporate

stores and was implemented for the protection of our customers and our business. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this message.

They didn't answer any of my questions. Sounds pretty much like a "That's our policy, shop somewhere else" kind of letter.

Guest db99wj
Well, here is the reply they sent me...

The concealed weapons policy has been put in place for all of our corporate

stores and was implemented for the protection of our customers and our business. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

They didn't answer any of my questions. Sounds pretty much like a "That's our policy, shop somewhere else" kind of letter.

I'm guessing if you worked for them, there is a template that looks like this.

The XXX insert policy XXXXX policy has been put in place for all of our corporate

Crap response.

Small nitpick on the letter its not really true to say that you "could not enter the shop." Now this probably is boiling down to personal preferences, but I think I'd word it a little differently, and let them know that I read and understood that they did not trust me as a customer, and thus I went in search of someone who was willing to accept my money.

That's my take on this stuff- those signs, whether legally worded or not, tell me that the folks running the place don't want my business, so unless there's some really pressing need for me to enter, I'll happily oblige them.

That said, by writing a letter to them, you've already taken a step that most people won't, so kudos on that.

I did realize the sign is worded incorrectly, and I did go in the store and look around. I just didn't want to tip my hand in the letter that the sign was wrong. :)

Guest db99wj
I did realize the sign is worded incorrectly, and I did go in the store and look around. I just didn't want to tip my hand in the letter that the sign was wrong. :)

Well played.