Mossberg 500 upgrades?

Guest glocklocker19

Guest glocklocker19

Well I finally found a shotgun. I picked up a no frills Mossberg 500 at a local gun shop for just a little over 300 bones and I love it. I'm already looking at upgrade options and wondered what some folks that may have this shotgun are currently using or have used in the past? I see Magpul is coming out with furniture for this series sometime this fall so that's one upgrade I'm going to hold out for for sure. 

I really want some ghost ring sights, but can't seem to find much information concerning them for this particular model. I see that Mossberg makes a set, but the front sight needs to be soldered on from what I have read and I would have to have a gunsmith complete it as I am not confident enough to do it myself. Gunsmithing is scarce or non-existent in my neck of the woods (that I know of anyhow, I am in the Tri-Cities) so it's not exactly an attractive option. Are there any alternatives for a ghost ring sight that may say clamp on the front or something? 

What about side saddles? Anyone using one they like or recommend a company? I've only found Mesa Tactical so far and they look like they have some nice stuff. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/glock55/media/20121224_124756_zpscb0fc2a6.jpg.html]20121224_124756_zpscb0fc2a6.jpg[/URL]

this is my set up for Mossberg 590 18.5 barrel with ghost ring sights 1) Ergo grip tri rail 2) tac star side saddle 3) stream light tlr 1 with pressure switch mounted on vertical grip. not the fanciest set up but very effective. also my son bought a Mossberg with bead sight and decided he wanted ghost ring installed. sent back to Mossberg they installed ghost rings free of charge. just a thought.

Guest glocklocker19

20121224_124756_zpscb0fc2a6.jpg

this is my set up for Mossberg 590 18.5 barrel with ghost ring sights 1) Ergo grip tri rail 2) tac star side saddle 3) stream light tlr 1 with pressure switch mounted on vertical grip. not the fanciest set up but very effective. also my son bought a Mossberg with bead sight and decided he wanted ghost ring installed. sent back to Mossberg they installed ghost rings free of charge. just a thought.

Very nice! That's more or less the look I am after, I love the side saddle :) That's good to know about Mossberg installing the sights, especially free of charge! I will definitely contact them and go from there....

The Mossberg factory GRS are very good, but soldering them on is best left to folks who know what they are doing.

Anyway I'm not a fan of side-saddles, however I am a fan of Speedfeed stocks to carry extra shells & Surefire forearms for adding a weapon light, I'd suggest those over the Magpul, but they are a lot more money, so iffin your budget is tight stick to factory &/or Magpul.

I love the GR sights but couldn't find anybody local to solder the front sight. I ended up putting a Meprolight Night Sight bead on mine along with a Hogue short LOP stock, Limbsaver, TacStar side saddle, LaserLyte tri rail and a Specter 2 point sling. I'm using a cheapo NCStar flashlight on it but plan on getting a Surefire forearm for it. The Magpul stuff looks realy nice on the 500's too.