CCW at Church

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

Sorry this may be a repeat from earlier discussions, but here goes. Due to the recent issue at a Knoxville church, what are your plans for carry at church? This is the second such issue in East Tennessee in the last 6 months. The first was due to a divorce and the second was just insane. Anyway we had a discussion at my church on Wednesday and I was told that no less than 4 members in the service did indeed carry. However we have 3 services on Sundays and how do we know we have protection at each service? How do we somehow make this like the secret service? Do any of you have experience in setting up a security team in a church setting?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sermon8r
Sorry this may be a repeat from earlier discussions, but here goes. Due to the recent issue at a Knoxville church, what are your plans for carry at church? This is the second such issue in East Tennessee in the last 6 months. The first was due to a divorce and the second was just insane. Anyway we had a discussion at my church on Wednesday and I was told that no less than 4 members in the service did indeed carry. However we have 3 services on Sundays and how do we know we have protection at each service? How do we somehow make this like the secret service? Do any of you have experience in setting up a security team in a church setting?

Inform your Pastor that you have a Handgun Permit and use it.

I agree an offical security team of CCW is a liability mess however its comforting when you are in the pulpit to know who has your back.

also you should ask who else is so if something happens you will know the other firearms are "friendlys"

We run 200 or so Sunday am and 75 or so Sun pm.

I guess more at your Church with 3 Services.

How do we somehow make this like the secret service? Do any of you have experience in setting up a security team in a church setting?

I think doing anything to formally collaborate is a bad idea.

If a gunfight were to occur at church, you better believe that it will gets lots of scrutiny from law enforcement. On top of that, there would be civil liability.

However, why not have an informal church range session from time to time? Just word of mouth, invite your church friends who might enjoy going. You'll be able to figure out who is likely to be carrying at church.

I think doing anything to formally collaborate is a bad idea.

If a gunfight were to occur at church, you better believe that it will gets lots of scrutiny from law enforcement. On top of that, there would be civil liability.

However, why not have an informal church range session from time to time? Just word of mouth, invite your church friends who might enjoy going. You'll be able to figure out who is likely to be carrying at church.

On top of that, word would likely get out and the bad guys might just pass on the not so sheeple victims.

There are actually several major churches that have their own security teams. Trained and registered with the state. The biggest issue is whether the church wants to front the money for a specialized security detail.

If it is a very large church I'd say see what you can do, other wise just carry and be vigilant.

Guest bkelm18
I always carry to church. If someone walks in the door with an AK, I shoot them. End of story.

Unless they shoot you first... :cool: Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Guest cdsusong

I had not thought of the liability issue but you are correct, if someone did get injured or dead, I'm sure the lawyers would have a field day. I think the avenue I will take is speak to the pastor and possibly staff and make them aware that I have the CCW just in case. Organizing a shooting day with the members would also be a great tool to find others who would be there in case of an emergency. I know of a few that would be carrying as well, hmmmm crossfire? Also I believe you are right that word of mouth may deter any would be thugs or crazies from showing up. Thanks for all your input, I will post any info as it is available.

Guest sermon8r

We have had a few of these and they are lots of fun.

some of the ladies join us as well.

we meet for breakfast and a Safety class then off to the range.

If you dont show for the class you dont shoot.

why don't churches that want armed protection just post a couple of armed people at the door?

If I was a church goer I would not get involved with it. I carry for my protection and my families. I am not there to be a church ninja.

Guest Bronker

I carry at church as well. I am also blessed to have three deacons in my service who are also police officers. Two are 30+ years experienced, and one is 10+. I was noticing today, whether by chance or divine design, how we were seated in the room. It seems somehow we end up in the four corners of the room. That may be good or bad??? I know of two other members, and our pastor who are carrying at all times as well. I don't know how we could prepare for a situation, but I don't feel out-gunned if it should occur. I will moreso continue to rely on Christ's protection in all things.

Guest sermon8r

"I don't know how we could prepare for a situation, but I don't feel out-gunned if it should occur. I will moreso continue to rely on Christ's protection in all things."

Amen Brother

I'm a pastor, and here is my opinion.

1. Those who have ccw permits: don't ask, don't tell. Just be there.

2. Don't organize an armed church security group. I think it would be wiser, if you want OFFICIAL armed security, to hire off-duty police men/women.

Alot of officers won't organize in something like that due to liability and some departments that have policies against moonlighting. Some of the large churches that I've been to (if you're from Memphis or have ever driven down 40 you know where I mean) have specialized groups that not only protect key members of the church, but provide event security as well. They usually have detailed plans and some are very well trained.

It's not for every church obviously, but I know it has worked well for others.

...Due to the recent issue at a Knoxville church, what are your plans for carry at church?

My plans for carry at church have not changed because of the Knoxville church incident. My opinion has, however, been reinforced because of it.

My plans for church carry are, and have always been, just that. Carry. Come to think of it, my plans for life are pretty much that. Carry. Period.

If you see me out somewhere and I don't have a gun, there's some EXTREMELY extenuating circumstance, like, I'm in the courthouse, and even then I have a contingency plan.

Many people ask questions like, "Should I carry at church?" or "Should I carry since I'm only going right down the street?" For me, personally, I don't understand that line of thinking (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I'm just saying I don't understand it). If I'm outside my house, I've got a gun on me. I don't have time to worry about which places I think I should carry. It's possible you could need a gun anywhere, no matter how safe you think it might be.

Edited by robbiev
Guest cdsusong

You know it is sad that we have gotten too this point. By this I mean, carrying as you step out your door. It is a sad but true thing. There are evil people out there just looking for a reason to inflict their evil on others. A person would think that a church would be a safe place to take your family and worship in whatever way you feel, but evil and Satin have found that this is a great place to do their business. We as Christians are always under attack and we should be prepared by faith as well as by hand to defend our families and rights. We have been given the right to live in this great country and we have also been given the right to protect it. With all of the nonsense that has happened at houses of worship in the past few months, it makes me think, that like a boy scout, be prepared! Preparation is the key to a successful outcome.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
We as Christians are always under attack and we should be prepared by faith as well as by hand to defend our families and rights.

Everyone needs to be prepared. Christians should carry to Church. Jews should carry to Synagogue. Muslims to the Mosque. Hindus to the Temple. Atheist wherever they are. Point is all people face random violence no matter who or where they are. That's why it's described "random."

My church has a uniformed police officer at the child care section of the building. My question is regarding churches, is when is it considered a school? Since the church has a sunday school section for children and daycare and classes are taught is it then considered a school and therefor off limits? Rob