Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5 x 24mm for SCAR 17

So there isn't much out on these yet as they are pretty new to the market.  But I figured I would post up with my observations after picking one up.  I wanted a fairly compact scope for my SCAR 17, which typically limits one to 1-4 power in a quality piece.  Of course there have been a number of interesting 1-6 power scopes hitting the market, and I had looked at the Vortex Razor HD 2 and the Leupold Mark 6.  Both are really nice.  I nearly went with the Vortex, but I found the Bushnell and though 8.5 would be interesting. 

They are pricey.  Most are listed for $2149 online...which is a lot to pay for anything, especially a Bushnell.  Sportsman’s Guide has them listed for $2149 as well, but they offer their 10% discount if you are a club member.  Well, they run double your discount from time to time, so I figured I could get one for $1725 or so shipped.  The Vortex scopes typically run $1400, so I thought by spending the extra $325 I would get a FFP reticle, another 2x magnification, and a better reticle (I like the BTR-2 Mildot Bushell uses over the Miculek Ret of the Vortex...which is set for a 5.56). I also like that the Bushnell uses Mil clicks for adjustment instead of MOA. 

Anyway, it came in this week.  First thing to note...CRAP!  This thing is pretty big.  It is a 34mm tube with HUGE target knobs.  They are the push pull type and click extremely well.  The glass looks good.  I don't know that it looks better than the Vortex glass, but it is very clear.  On 1x there is a little fish-eye effect, of course, but the relief is very good, (even on max power), and with both eyes open I had no trouble picking up my targets around the yard.  There are several brightness settings with "off" spaced between each, and even 2 NV settings (useless to me).  The reticle will go bright, but I have seen brighter.  I have not had it in bright sunlight yet.  I believe it will be plenty strong enough for daylight, but hope to prove it this weekend (assuming the sun comes out and I can get away from work before dark). 

I mounted it in a American Defense Recon mount.  The package is a little heavier that it needs to be IMO.  I think they could have gone with a 30mm tube and saved a lot of weight.  I don't know how much adjustment you would lose with a 30mm tube, and how much FOV, but I don't think it would be enough to be a big hindrance. 

It LOOKS cool for what that is worth.  I haven't shot it yet, but I assume it will hold zero.  The Elite Tactical line gets great reviews generally, so hopefully this one won't disappoint. 

I will post more when I get it to the range.  Here are some pics of it mounted up.

SCAR2.JPG

SCAR1.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well it really took me a long time to get to the range with the new scope.  WAY too much time at work this summer, but the OT helped pay for this rig, so I can't complain.   

I finally made it out on Sunday for a bit.  The scope worked great!

I was shooting two different loads, both factory.  One was Federal Gold Medal Match 175 SMKs in 308, and the other was Winchester 7.62 NATO M80 (147 gr).   The point of impact was very different for the two loads.  I had zeroed for 200 yards previously for a 175gr hand-load, and was happy to see the Federal 175 load hit about 2 inches high at one hundred yards, though it was off to the right about an inch.  The M80 was hitting 6 inches high at 100 yards, and a couple of inches left.  I was very surprised to see a POI THAT different.  I would have expected 3 inches high or so, but not 6…also striking several inches to the left of the 175’s was odd, I thought. 

I alternated 4 shots of each load and after firing a couple of groups, adjusted the scope back and forth between the two POI’s for each load respectively.  I was able to make the same number of clicks several times, back and forth and return to zero for either load each time. 

The glass on the scope was very good (though it was a very sunny day).  The reticle illumination was very bright, even in bright sunlight.  But the best thing was that the scope would hold zero and was repeatable click after click.  10 clicks appeared to equal about 3.5 inches at 100 yards, and as I mentioned before it returned to zero on each change.  It really doesn’t matter how expensive a scope is, or what features it has, if it won’t hold zero and the clicks aren’t repeatable, its junk.  Of course I didn’t beat it around a lot or abuse it, so I don’t know how much punishment it will take, and I hope never to find out. 

Shooting off a grip pod, I thought the grouping with the Fed 175 SMK’s was really good.  I wish I had some sandbags to really hold it down, but was pleased overall.  My best group is attached below.  My average group was just under one inch.  The worst on the 175’s was 1.25.  The M80’s were not so good.  The best I could do with them was about 1.5 with an average closer to 2, but the worst being just over 2.  

scargroup175SMKFGMM.jpg