Help pick an AR

After some thinking I'm gonna get an AR. My two choices right now are not close in comparison. The M&P Sport can be found for $699 + shipping + background & transfer. The Colt LE6920 for $1070 + tax + background. I like the M&P for price and reviews have been very positive. They changed from a 1:8 to 1:9 twist but everything else seems to be the same. Only upgrade I would be considering is changing the handguard and stock. The Colt is a Colt. The handguard is also a heat shield but twist is 1:7. I'm still learning/understanding twist rates but I believe the Colt would handle heavier bullets and the M&P the lighter bullets. Would I buy tomorrow (don't know) but hopefully soon. Prices are dropping and availability seems to be increasing.

thanks

The Sport is a great rifle. With that said, and I had the money, I might buy the Colt. You can't go wrong with either. I just like a forward assist and dust cover. It looks like the carry handle can be removed so you can turn it into a flat top if you want to add an optic later.

... I like the M&P for price and reviews have been very positive. They changed from a 1:8 to 1:9 twist but everything else seems to be the same....

No longer 5R rifling either, and the lining is simply not mentioned now, so?

It was one of the best production barrels in the industry, which is one thing that made it such a killer deal, and actually sort of a mystery how their high end barrel wound up on their cheapest rifle. Still a fine firearm, no doubt, but not the killer deal it was, IMO.

- OS

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with either but there's a big world out there of AR's from the entry level to the extreme enthusiast. A good first time AR would be a Rock River or a Colt, i wouldn't even consider a Bushmaster because for quality if you spend $100 more and you get a Colt, which they aren't the end all be all but they ARE are the best for the money. If you spend more than $1200 I would get a LaRue, DD, or BCM(best money of the three). Keep in mind this is my personal opinion as people will agree and disagree with me, take it as you will :2cents: . Also TONS o' parts out there enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. After talking to my lil brother, probably the Sport and upgrade and learn since this will be my first. Plus I have no ammo and the price difference would help purchase some if I find some at a decent price. I'm not a reloader so I'll start looking at about .30 to .35 per round.

Check gunbroker for the Sport. I've seen some killer deals lately. I paid $720 OTD for my Sport almost a year ago to the day. Great rifle.

The forward assist and dust cover are completely unnecessary. My brother did 2 tours in Iraq and confirmed the forward assist was never used. 

Edited by Erik88

Check gunbroker for the Sport. I've seen some killer deals lately. I paid $720 OTD for my Sport almost a year ago to the day. Great rifle.

The forward assist and dusk cover are completely unnecessary. My brother did 2 tours in Iraq and confirmed the forward assist was never used. 

The military bought eleventy gazillion rifles WITH a dust cover and forward assist. I'll agree it's not necessary. Still, even among TGO folks, those without are a dinky minority.

To me these rifles are made to be relied upon to provide protection for me and my family (well and hunting and target shooting secondarily). I'll take a forward assist please, thank you. Dust cover not so vital, for home defense. As a veteran I have used the forward assist, as a hunter I have used the forward assist. On a car I don't use my air bags often, but I can appreciate the fact they are there.

Sport is a great rifle, as stated new one is not 5r, is not melonite coated. It's not near the deal it used to be. To me its value was you could get it and learn the rifle, get a good reliable upper and keep the 5r for target shooting, now it's just another cheap upper.

I am up to counting on two hands the number of 'black rifles' I have now, the Daniel defense m4v4 is far and away the best I have owned or held, it's worth saving the money for. And no it is not the most accurate and not the flashiest but it truly is the sum of all of its great parts. In the end when you have upgraded your sport you probably could have bought it to begin with for about the same price....

As for learning the ins and outs of the ar, YouTube and a couple of punches and a ten year old could build one, they are like grown up Lego's.

The military bought eleventy gazillion rifles WITH a dust cover and forward assist. I'll agree it's not necessary. Still, even among TGO folks, those without are a dinky minority.

But I bet my dinky Sport will do everything your fancy AR's do. With the exception of keeping dust off the bolt. ;)

But I bet my dinky Sport will do everything your fancy AR's do. With the exception of keeping dust off the bolt. ;)

To each his own. I've used my forward assist a few times too. If you can't afford to add it to your rifle, I understand. Just don't be dissin' the real ones because you're cheap. :)

OP, if you can purchase a Colt LE6920 for the price you quoted, buy it.  The M&P is an okay rifle, but it's not even in the same league as the Colt.

Here's mine:

47198d1332963518-own-gun-merged-threads-

Since this photo was taken, I've added a 200-lumen Surefire at 10 o'clock on the rail using a Gear Sector mount. 

Edited by Spurholder

OP, if you can purchase a Colt LE6920 for the price you quoted, buy it.  The M&P is an okay rifle, but it's not even in the same league as the Colt.

Here's mine:

47198d1332963518-own-gun-merged-threads-

Since this photo was taken, I've added a 200-lumen Surefire at 10 o'clock on the rail using a Gear Sector mount. 

I'm with you, if the choice is limited to those two. There was a time when the Sport was a real good deal because of the kickass barrel they were using at the time. It was probably a good enough deal to justify the slab side upper receiver for some. If S&W downgraded the barrel, then it's a different deal.

I'm with you, if the choice is limited to those two. There was a time when the Sport was a real good deal because of the kickass barrel they were using at the time. It was probably a good enough deal to justify the slab side upper receiver for some. If S&W downgraded the barrel, then it's a different deal.

You mean the nitrided 1/8 barrel?  Yeah, that was interesting (and I still think S&W's version of Kyle Lamb's VTAC rifle - if it's still offered - is a pretty good deal as well).

I like my Colt just fine.  Having said that, my next AR is going to be a Daniel Defense Mk18.  With a Surefire can.

Edited by Spurholder

You mean the nitrided 1/8 barrel?  Yeah, that was interesting (and I still think S&W's version of Kyle Lamb's VTAC rifle - if it's still offered - is a pretty good deal as well).

I like my Colt just fine.  Having said that, my next AR is going to be a Daniel Defense Mk18.  With a Surefire can.

Lots of great brands out there. I always build mine so I can pick and choose parts quality. If I was buying off the rack.. DD, BCM, Larue, etc.

I really liked the reviews on the Sport but I believe the barrel change does hurt. So if i choose the Colt does 1:7 means most of ammo I look for will need be above 60 grains with a longer profile bullet. (I'm still trying to read through a lot Internet stuff so don't beat me up on these questions).

I really liked the reviews on the Sport but I believe the barrel change does hurt. So if i choose the Colt does 1:7 means most of ammo I look for will need be above 60 grains with a longer profile bullet. (I'm still trying to read through a lot Internet stuff so don't beat me up on these questions).

55's, which are the most common, should be fine. The military went to 1:7 to stabilize tracers. I don't own any 1:7 barrels, but wouldn't shy away from them either. It wouldn't change my life any, because I never shoot anything below 55 grains.

Edited by mikegideon

No, you can shoot just about any of em, even the 45gr BUT you probably wanna stick with 55gr or heavier. I found that 45gr in my 1/7 doesn't hold a tight group but it will hit a human at 100yds, just if you're shooting out that far, may wanna go with a heavier bullet.

So if i choose the Colt does 1:7 means most of ammo I look for will need be above 60 grains with a longer profile bullet. (I'm still trying to read through a lot Internet stuff so don't beat me up on these questions).

No.  55 grainers are just fine.

No, you can shoot just about any of em, even the 45gr BUT you probably wanna stick with 55gr or heavier. I found that 45gr in my 1/7 doesn't hold a tight group but it will hit a human at 100yds, just if you're shooting out that far, may wanna go with a heavier bullet.

The only reason to use a lighter bullet is to increase velocity. Helps with varmints. Probably useless in a carbine.

Will your sport do this  :yum:

8010177721_0a70ae4fb7_z.jpg

That's a 4 shot group 100yd from my 260 Rem AR, my 223/5.56 is more accurate consistently lol.  My old 5r sport though will shoot them not far off that group, amazing little rifle for the price.

I knew I shouldn't went looking.  Found the Magpul version with 1:8 5R rifling.

811053_01_md.jpg
Overview

SKU: 811053

Features & Benefits

• Mid-Length Gas System
    - Results in lower recoil and better accuracy providing higher 2nd shot hit probability
  • Official Smith & Wesson/Magpul® Co-Branded, Forged Lower Design
    - Similar Characteristics to the Original Billet Design
    - Flared Magwell for Improved Magazine Insertion
    - Forward Serrated Edge of Magwell for Increased Weapon Control
    - Integrated Trigger Guard Design for improved ergonomics and use with a gloved finger without having to manipulate the trigger guard out of the way prior to usage
    - Finger shelf for increased ergonomic indexing of trigger finger, located on both sides for right and left handed shooting
    - Sharp design lines adding to the aesthetics of the lower receiver
  • The Art of Tactical Carbine Volume I & II DVDs from Magpul Dynamics
    - Live fire class instruction
    - Basic fundamentals to dynamic stress situations
    - Shows real students and advanced shooters from industry, Law Enforcement and Military
  • Patent-Pending, Smith & Wesson Enhanced Flash Hider
    - Reduces flash signature significantly
    - Directs gases and sound forward and away from the shooters
    - Eliminates secondary flash/streak
  • Chromed-Lined Bolt Carrier and Gas Key
  • Magpul® MVG (Vertical Grip)
  • Magpul® MOE Grip
  • Magpul® MOE Buttstock
  • Magpul® MOE Handguard
  • 30 Round PMAG® Magazine
  • Folding Magpul® Rear Sight MBUS
  • M4 - A2 Post Front Sight
  •  
Model M&P15 MOE Mid MAGPUL® SPEC SERIES™ empty.gif
  • SKU:811053
  • Model: M&P15 MOE Mid
  • Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO
  • Capacity: 30 Rounds Detachable Magazine
  • Action: Semi-Auto
  • Barrel Length: 16” / 40.6 cm
  • Barrel Twist: 1 in 8” 5R Rifling
  • Front Sight: M4 A2 Post
  • Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® MBUS
  • Overall Length: 37” Extended / 33.75” Collapsed
  • Stock: Magpul® MOE
  • Weight: 6.54 lbs. / 2,966.5 g
  • Barrel Material: 4150 CMV
  • Barrel Finish: Durable, Corrosion Resistant Barrel Finish
  • Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
  • Receiver Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
  • Polymer Component Finish: Black
  • Chromed Components: Gas Key and Bolt Carrier
Edited by tarheelbball
  • Like 1
Confirm with seller that it truly is the older spec rifle, I got one of the mp15T that was supposed to come with the troy rail and 1/8 barrel. It arrived as a 1/9 barrel with a crappy s&w branded rail that was made by utg. Beware some sellers are using the old literature...