AR15 Parts In/Around Nashville

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

I need a couple odds and ends for an AR15 including handguard cap, takedown pin, rear takedown detent spring, etc..

Are there any shops near Nashville to carry these things.  I'm having to pay $8 for S&H wherever I can find them online.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macmonkey

I'm not sure of anywhere that would carry those bits of an LPK but i know with gas hovering around $3.50 it wouldn't take much driving around to make that $8 S&H charge look right nice. Good luck with the hunt.

I hear you but considering I'm finding stock to be non-existent I'm having to buy parts from multiple online vendors.  Paying the same $30-$40 s&h fee for what amounts to be $8 in parts is a frightening prospect.  Thanks for the insight.

I hear you but considering I'm finding stock to be non-existent I'm having to buy parts from multiple online vendors.  Paying the same $30-$40 s&h fee for what amounts to be $8 in parts is a frightening prospect.  Thanks for the insight.

Eww That changes things all around huh. I didn't understand you were looking at multiple charges. I'll keep my eyes open for any of those parts for you.

Guest macmonkey

Thanks Luke!  What I know of (off top of my head) are:

• Rear Takedown Pin

• Rear Takedown Detent Spring

• Rear Takedown Detent

• Rear Takedown Detent Spring Set Screw

• Handguard Cap

Would be great to know if they have parts available as I'm about to start building another.

Thanks

• Rear Takedown Detent Spring Set Screw

??

The takedown detent/spring channel is not threaded on standard lowers -- the buffer tube end plate (or plate on rifle butt) holds them in -- although threading for a set screw it is a mod some folks do. Is yours actually threaded?

- OS

??

The takedown detent/spring channel is not threaded on standard lowers -- the buffer tube end plate (or plate on rifle butt) holds them in -- although threading for a set screw it is a mod some folks do. Is yours actually threaded?

- OS

I don't reckon i've seen a threaded one from the factory before.

Guest macmonkey

Mine is definitely threaded. I actually had all of this together and put these parts in a box for "safe keeping" and believe the mrs. threw them away accidentally.  It's a tactical industries lower and I really like it but definitely is threaded.

Thanks

Mine is definitely threaded. I actually had all of this together and put these parts in a box for "safe keeping" and believe the mrs. threw them away accidentally.  It's a tactical industries lower and I really like it but definitely is threaded.

Thanks

Well, you can probably get set screw at Ace Hardware.

I see the Aero says, "Rear takedown pin detent hole is threaded for a 4-40 set screw".

Or just don't use it.

Or you can forget the entire assembly and use a KNS takdown pin. :)

31w4rgMAcaL._SY300_.jpg

- OS

There's plenty of those EZ-Pull takedown pins out there but those things are like $20 p/p. 

Yeah, around that. I put a set on one of my ARs for no real compelling reason, they work fine, got both for under $40.  Many use the takedown one for pistol tube arrangements that don't use a castle nut/plate.

But anyway, you don't have to use the set screw if you can't find one right off, will hold in there with plate like any other. Only real advantage with normal config is that spring can't shoot out of there if you want to take buffer tube off. Disadvantage is if screw ever rusts or strips and you can't get it out.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks for looking out Luke.. I do appreciate it.

Hey before you buy a whole kit give me about 3in to get home and I'll send you a link. There was a company I saw the other day selling complete lowers minus the buffer and stock but I remember reading that they had the take down pins and related parts needed to assemble it the rest of the way with your own buffer and stock. I saved the site in my laptop so I'll get it to you as soon as I get home.
If for some reason this doesn't work and you end up buying a whole kit, byedan is a great guy to deal with. I just bought a number of items from him myself.

Well i may have gotten things twisted around. It says 

• Polymer Lower Parts Kit installed except for Rear Takedown Pin, Takedown Detent & Spring, and Buffer Detent & Spring which are included with shipment

so they may just be part of the kit that they installed in the lower. Heres the link if you want to try anyways. BTW look at the price for the complete lower minus buffer and stock!! It's been a while since i've seen one that cheap!

http://www.capitolarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LW15LPK

Macmonkey, I have your parts heading my way. I should have them this afternoon or tomorrow sometime. I'm having them brought back from a place down in Georgia so whenever he gets back in town i will have them. I may be heading to Harbor Freight off of Bell Road tomorrow evening so that may be a good time to meet. The guy is giving me the hand guard cap for free and the rest of the parts are $6. He did not have the set screw so you will either have to let the cap keep it captured or determine the thread size and pitch and find a set screw at a hardware store. If you happen to know the size set screw you need i can run around the corner and check at Fastenall for one. Just let me know if you need me to check on the set screw the set screw.

Luke