Compt-Tac or Crossbreed?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

I'm looking for a nice IWB holster for a Sig P229.

I know a lot of you guys use comp-tac and are happy with them. Now I love smarties as much as the next guy, but that can't be the deciding factor. A lot of guys over on XD talk use CrossBreed holsters http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ which are close to the Comp-tac in design and price. I am comparing the CrossBreed Supertuck and the Comp-tac MTAC.

Anyone used both? Anyone else who has either feel free to chime in.

Edited by abailey362
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abailey, As of Monday, I now have both. I personally prefer the Crossbreed and here's why:

1. The leather covers more body area. They do have a smaller leather backing to make it more shaped like the MTAC, but you have to tell them you want it combat cut when ordering. That just makes the grip stick out past the leather backing.

2. I like the wider clips of the Crossbreed. The belt clips on the MTAC are not half the width of the one on the Crossbreed.

3. I like the fact that you can get the Crossbreed holster in black. MTAC only comes in natural or tan color.

4. The Crossbreed just feels better to me. Since the leather backing of the Crossbreed is thinner, and not doubled like the MTAC, it doesn't seem to bulge out as much when worn.

This is strictly just my opinion. I have both hosters and will eventually use both, but for now, I'm sticking with the Crossbreed. I carry my Glock 30 in it. The Crossbreed was originally for a much bigger gun (Ruger P345). With a heat gun, I shrunk it down to fit the Glock. I'm gonna post some pics for you this weekend when I get my internet working again at home. Watch this thread.

Guest Bronker

I have both, abailey. I got the MTAC first, and later the Supertuck. As you mentioned, the guys on XDTalk rave about the Crossbreed (I'm the bronker on there too). They are both very well made. Both are of highest quality. Both are comfortable. However, the retention of the kydex is much different. The MTAC has that comfortable 'click' when it seats, where the ST doesn't. Even with that being said, I tend to wear the MTAC more. It is lighter,and the clips not so far apart. I just find it more comfortable. Another advantage? The kydex molds on the MTAC are interchangeable. Thus, you can swap the kydex out to fit various guns, all on one holster. Although a VERY tight race...the advantage by a slim margin in my opinion? The MTAC. One recommendation if you go MTAC, get the wider j-clips. They are more stable.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

I don't have a Compt-Tac, but I have a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB and I love it. It's the first holster I bought for my XD-9 SC and it's fantastic. I'm a smaller guy, 6 feet tall but only about 175, and it conceals with no issues. I can have a t-shirt hanging out or a dress shirt tucked in and you can not see the weapon, even if you are looking for it. I'm happy because I don't have a box of holsters that didn't work.

In fact, I'm so happy I just contacted them the other day about getting one for my SP-101 as well.

Guest db99wj

Can't speak for the MTAC, I have the CTAC, or for the crossbreed, but I can vouch for the customer service of Comp-Tac. They have the best CS I have ever had to deal with. I broke a clip once and I didn't keep a screw tight on one of the clips and lost it, just ordered some new screws last week.

...In fact, I'm so happy I just contacted them the other day about getting one for my SP-101 as well.

Let us know how that works out. Pix if you buy it would be great.

I'd like to maybe carry my 101 some, but I've found nothing comfy that doesn't print badly, mostly always the grip/butt (factory). I've returned a High Noon Softy and a Bianchi so far. Only way I've found to completely conceal it is SOB, just using a cheapo Uncle Mike's. Not my fav. Would like to know if the Crossbreed will hold a revolver close enough in to wear behind hip around 3:30-4:00.

Will almost certain carry Kahr in pocket most of the time, but the 101 is just a little much that way.

- OS

Abailey,

Here are the pics of the my holsters that I mentioned.

Crossbreed_Glock_30_1.JPG MTAC_Glock_30_2.JPG

Notice the wider clips on the Crossbreed. Notice the cut away leather around the grip on the MTAC. From what I understand, Crossbreed can cut away more leather from around the grip and you can get wider clips for the MTAC, so I guess it's pretty much a toss-up.

Guest sermon8r

The Crossbreed clips will work on the MTAC...they are just like the old style CTAC clips.

I dont know about the Comp-Tac owners but CrossBreed owners are Christians... if that matters to you.

Abailey,

Here are the pics of the my holsters that I mentioned.

Crossbreed_Glock_30_1.JPG MTAC_Glock_30_2.JPG

Notice the wider clips on the Crossbreed. Notice the cut away leather around the grip on the MTAC. From what I understand, Crossbreed can cut away more leather from around the grip and you can get wider clips for the MTAC, so I guess it's pretty much a toss-up.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
... but CrossBreed owners are Christians... if that matters to you.

Not in the least. But they do make great holsters.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abailey362

well I went with the crossbreed and so far so good. Only complaint so far is that my belt loops on my shorts are the same distance as the clips...couldn't wear it at the exact spot I wanted today....and the squeak. Lots of people report having a squeak when they first get their crossbreed and it going away with wear and leather conditioner. Not really audible in public with ambient noise, but I can hear it at the house or in bathrooms. Overall very happy with it. Probably wore it for about 9 hours today walking around shopping and driving.