Question regarding selling firearms

Guest Brutnus

Guest Brutnus

First, i am not looking to sell a firearm but rather what is the proper etiquette here on this forum regarding over priced gear? I understand that some people place stuff a little high so they can barter but i am still seeing tons of gen 3 glocks for more than what a new GEN 4 glock goes for.

So my question is

When someone posts something that is overpriced do i just ignore it or can i call them out on it? 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You ignore it. The price is their business.  if you would like to discuss and negotiate the price, you do so through the pm system. Calling them out will get you a few days of vacation through way of a ban

What Spots said. You're right about one of the reasons some sellers list high. If I ask a fair price for my item, I'll get offers for less. If I ask a higher price, I'll get offers of a fair price. Or so the logic goes. Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. Other times a price may be high because the seller overpaid and doesn't realize they're high vs. the actual market value. They'll figure it out when all they get are low-ball offers if any at all, but it's not our job to call them out in public over it.

The rules are here at the first sticky in the first forum under the Trading Post section. Rule#7 addresses your question.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/44438-trading-post-rules-and-policies/

Edited by monkeylizard

Rule #7 direct quote from rules link above. "You understand that you may not make a public reply to a Trading Post thread designed to interfere with the sale or trade of an item.  Examples are replies stating that an item can be found cheaper elsewhere, or that the price is too high, or that you have a similar item for sale for less, etc.  If you wish to haggle, do it privately with the seller.  No one cares what you think about the price or availability of an item."

The TGO trading post is a pretty amazing place. If you list it at a good price, it can sell in 10 minutes. List it a little high, and it will sit there until it rusts. Watch the number of views on the thread. If there are a bunch of views and no bites, it's too high.

Like mike said the trading post here is a wonderfull tool.  If im not sure if im pricing right ill usually go with my higher number and let it sit for a few days and then lower it accordingly.  I think most others do the same.  I cant speak for others but i know for me im always willing to negotiate some, so if the price seems a little high a simple PM of what you consider a reasonable offer is usually enough to get the ball rolling in the right direction.  

Excellent advice by all

The invisible hand of the market is sufficient in policing itself. If its a priced to move, it will - if not it will sit waiting for the right buyer, see a price reduction or be withdrawn.

Why anyone feels the need to be the price police is beyond me. By not buying an item, you're making a statement already.

Agreed.

Crazy prices usually come from a seller who bought at an LGS that isn't competitive and he/she thinks that's the going price. Those items will usually just sit. When selling on the forums, the base "new" price is generally what the lowest Internet price is plus shipping and TICS. Discount from there for condition and for being "used". That is of course out the window for items that are not available as new any longer and have collectible value.

That said, if someone wants to list their standard Gen3 G19 with holster wear and 10K rounds through it for $1,200....they can.

Edited by monkeylizard

My advice and self rule, if you contact a buyer about an item that is obviously overpriced, you actually have played into his hands that you are interested, and actually can lead to less negotiations in your favor.  My self imposed rule is this, if its overpriced to begin with, just ignore them, no contact, none whatsoever, regardless how bad you want their item.  The market that the seller misses out on is their loss.  Don't be the vigilante educator for the seller, this is one of those self taught lessons that every seller must learn the hard way.  He will find the equilibrium price (someday), providing patience, time and the actual need to the sell the item.