I finally got a Garand!

Guest 6.8 AR

Guest 6.8 AR

I found a 1955 H&R M1 Garand  last week. I'll get around to the pics when my server starts

working again. This gun is in excellent condition. All H&R parts and the crown is perfect.

The stock is new, though. Need to oil it up. Hell, the complete gun looks new. Richard

Binkley told me the only thing that might have a refinish on it was the bolt. Otherwise,

a treasure of a pick. He's my gunsmith friend of a long time. I am pleased. My wallet is

lighter, though. They have gone through the roof. I saw some at the Chilhowee show that

looked like beaters going for 1700-1800.

I don't know much about them but one thing I was concerned about was the ammunition

to be used. I remember someone telling me that I should use non-corrosive ammo in it

because of some thing to do with chamber pressures being too high in the modern ammo.

I asked Richard about this today and he said shoot whatever I wanted in it. Those guns

are like tanks.

Any comments?

Guest 6.8 AR

Thanks. I meant to say non-corrosive surplus, or older ammo because of the higher pressures in the new stuff.

Glad I can roll my own for it. I'll probably shoot a dozen or so shots through it and maintain the safe queen status.

Perty!

Congrats!  I think you'll be pleased.

Without an adjustable gas plug you really want to stick with M2 ball or an equivalent load to prevent damaging the operating rod.  You can easily load your own to the standard pressure level for that rifle. 

Corrosive surplus has nothing to do with pressure, it just takes a lot more cleaning up when you're done.

Waiting on the pics..........

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

The Hornady manual has Garand-specific loads if you decide not to lock that rifle up in the safe. The CMP (thecmp.org) has Greek M2 for 0.49 / round if you're willing to wait 60 days or so to receive it.  Gunbot.net is showing plenty of Korean M2 available (0.59 per), but the word around the internets is that the Koreans used corrosive primers until the '70s, so that may be an issue to consider.  I haven't really looked into that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Guest 6.8 AR

Congrats!  I think you'll be pleased.

Without an adjustable gas plug you really want to stick with M2 ball or an equivalent load to prevent damaging the operating rod.  You can easily load your own to the standard pressure level for that rifle. 

Corrosive surplus has nothing to do with pressure, it just takes a lot more cleaning up when you're done.

Waiting on the pics..........

I probably should have bought that book you pointed out in Knoxville a few months ago about all the .30 cal

guns, eh? I may just pick it up, now that I have a carbine, M1A and a Garand. :D

Guest 6.8 AR

The Hornady manual has Garand-specific loads if you decide not to lock that rifle up in the safe. The CMP (thecmp.org) has Greek M2 for 0.49 / round if you're willing to wait 60 days or so to receive it.  Gunbot.net is showing plenty of Korean M2 available (0.59 per), but the word around the internets is that the Koreans used corrosive primers until the '70s, so that may be an issue to consider.  I haven't really looked into that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeh, I won't lock it in the safe. There are two in this family who refuse to let a gun go un-shot.

I have been shooting the Korean ball for over a decade with no issues. It does have corrosive primers. Just a extra step in cleaning, but with all of the Com Bloc surplus out there I'm used to it.

Edited by R1100R
Guest 6.8 AR

Hell, I was flirting with the gal at that table on Friday and happened to look down and saw it. You were still directing

the boys. Smartass! :D

Pretty nice 1903 you got, also. I don't know where you found that. I'd have bought it, too.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, these ain't great, and it is photobucket, which is my first time with them, so her they are.

http://m1291.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/MarkBerwind/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0807_zps2d2c0d3e.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D

http://m1291.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/MarkBerwind/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0703_zpse7ccd369.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D

http://m1291.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/MarkBerwind/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3357_zps443b12fb.jpg.html?o=1&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D

http://m1291.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/MarkBerwind/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8445_zpsccfeb58c.jpg.html?o=0&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TfSmzTVNXh26AtCbwB7%2BFXsvlKGOOcFNCaRrS904SLAveTMBHLZNVFFA%2F4%2FKeocduR7py5zt5a%2Fc7tUOhj07ZluwoPItG%2B8Fv%2FVsZzff%2FAtJndd%2BVVVIMly%2BwXC8U%2BvmVypOhefF%2BUJwM87i7stBbY%3D

I can't wait until Charter's server is available to me again. I really should clean up my playroom. :D

Edited by 6.8 AR

Can't you get a gas plug or something so you can run some heavier bullets? My buddy has a SA Garand and it eats EVERYTHING! Korean, Greek, new production Winchester, Remington, Golden Bear (brass plated steel case), and even the Wolf M.C. steel case!

The M1 is America's rifle.