a few newbie questions

Guest Monstermaker865

Guest Monstermaker865

I am going to the HCP class in a few weeks, so I haven't had formal training as of yet, anyway My question is do any of you know if it is legal to carry your gun on your person while you travel? My wife and I are going to be going to florida for a week or so, and I would like to be able to carry on my person while being there. Also the gun I have currently is a High Point 9mm, Can anyone suggest a good holster for this specific weapon? Thank you very much.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to the HCP class in a few weeks, so I haven't had formal training as of yet, anyway My question is do any of you know if it is legal to carry your gun on your person while you travel? My wife and I are going to be going to florida for a week or so, and I would like to be able to carry on my person while being there. Also the gun I have currently is a High Point 9mm, Can anyone suggest a good holster for this specific weapon? Thank you very much.

Without permit can't carry on your person, nor loaded in your car

Matter of fact, handgun and ammo can't even be in easy proximity to each other in the car.

With permit you can carry on your person, have weapon (loaded) anywhere in car, etc.

In TN or FL.

But you won't have permit for at least a couple months after you submit your paperwork. And probably closer to 3 months or longer.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest superslacker

You should sell the high point, buy a glock, and then buy a holster for your new glock. I prefer the Galco concealable for outside the waistband and milt sparks versa max II for inside the waistband. A belly band is a good option for me sometimes as well, and it's the least expensive of the three. The only problem with the belly band is that you cant reholster without looking and using two hands.

Edited by superslacker

Taking the class is the first step. Then you have to do the DOS form and pay, then you have to be fingerprinted. After that, you wait for the background checks to be complete. How long it takes is variable, but expecting 8-12 weeks would be about right.

If you're still weeks away from taking the class, you're probably looking at November or December before you get the permit.

Guest superslacker
+1/2

I would have given that statement a full "+1", but the word "Glock" was mentioned. Substitute "Glock" for an XD and you'll get my approval.:(

:rolleyes:

Guest Mugster

Laws vary by state. Without the permit and without other knowledge, carry the handgun unloaded in the trunk, and use a trigger lock. Otherwise you could be risking quite a bit, and the cops are pretty big on seizing weapons these days.

I recommend checking florida law before doing anything, but, in almost all states once you are in a hotel room...that becomes your domicile, and you get that "curdle of something or other" protection. As far as i know, you can have a loaded handgun or even a long gun in the hotel room with you. But technically you can't even carry it to and from the car loaded because that is not your property.

Once again, I recommend checking florida law before doing anything.

From Handgunlaw.us RV/Car carry

Florida

790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.Notwithstanding

subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for selfdefense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private

conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being

carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including

lawful selfdefense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.001 Definitions.As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Georgia In plain view or in glove box or console

Georgia Code 1611126

(d) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 1611129

from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 1611129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

I would keep my mind open to carrying something other than a Hi Point. You don't necessarily have to get rid of it, but it may not be the gun you want to bet your life on.

When you take the HCP class, look around at what some of your classmates are bringing. You'll find that most gun folks will be happy to let you hold, fire, examine, etc. their guns.

You may find something you like that would make a better carry piece.

Hit the gun shops too. Find a gun in an appropriate defensive caliber that feels good in your hand. Rent it if you can and shoot it before you decide.

Also, you asked about a holster recommendation - how are you planning to carry (i.e. ankle, IWB, OWB, etc.) ?

Edited by BigPoppa
Guest nraforlife
+1/2

I would have given that statement a full "+1", but the word "Glock" was mentioned. Substitute "Glock" for an XD and you'll get my approval.:D

Nope, S&W M&P for a full +1 :cool:

I'm also starting to do some research for a CCW. Some questions if i may..

1. When you qualify for the CCW with a certain handgun, must you always have to use THAT handgun or can you use anything you have or will have in the future?

2. The price that most places charges for the CCW, does that include all the paperwork stuff/fees that you actually have to do to get your CCW? Or is that a separate fee to the state?

Thanks.

1. When you qualify for the CCW with a certain handgun, must you always have to use THAT handgun or can you use anything you have or will have in the future?

Not in TN. Once you get the permit, you can carry any handgun you legally possess. Some ranges suggest that you "qualify" with every gun you might ever carry, but it isn't required by any law. The reason ranges suggest it (other than they get to charge you a fee) is for protection in civil court in case you use the gun in self defense, to prove you have been trained with it. Opinions vary on whether that is really necessary.

2. The price that most places charges for the CCW, does that include all the paperwork stuff/fees that you actually have to do to get your CCW? Or is that a separate fee to the state?

No, the fee paid at the range goes only to the range. The state charges another $115 (I think) to get the permit.